Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extra External Pockets: Love'm or Leave'm?

tblay

One of the Regulars
I've recently sold off all but two of my jackets, and I'm ordering a new Langlitz. I won a six-month gym membership in a raffle and, having always been a runner and never having done strength training until now, many of my measurements have changed.

Anyway, I've always been intrigued by the sleeve pockets LL offers. They do one on the bicep and one on the forearm as options. I like to keep the external of a jacket pretty clean, especially when it's going to have zip sleeves like my new Cascade will. However, I can also see some practicality to these small pockets. The forearm one, for instance, seems an ideal place to put a bike key.

Just wondering what y'all think of these small, outside pockets. Do you feel they're too busy? Handy? Something else altogether? Thanks for your thoughts!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the things I love most about my Roland Sands bike jacket is the forearm pocket, perfect for my Toll e-tag.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think for MC jacket it is cool somewhat since the whole thing is asymmetrical design anyway, but personally with a center zip jacket I don't like a slanting coin pocket on the left sleeve

IXL

One Too Many
Wait a minute, that's not quite right.
How about "Forearm zips are terrific for placing the tiny items one usually has a devil of a time keeping track of."
Yes, that's it.

tblay

One of the Regulars
I think for MC jacket it is cool somewhat since the whole thing is asymmetrical design anyway, but personally with a center zip jacket I don't like a slanting coin pocket on the left sleeve

That's interesting. The Sidewinder on the LL site has the slanted forearm zip and its stock center front zip. I hadn't thought about that, but I don't think the mix of angles would bother me. I'm mainly concerned about another small bit of metal adding to the weight and another zipper pull flapping all over the place in the wind. But I think the majority opinion here is to go with it, and I'm buying the argument.

Edward

Bartender
They're a thing I associate with Lewis Leathers in particular. Lewis introduced them across all their Lancer front jackets, as I recall, in 1962. Personally, I much prefer the cleaner look of without; I'd eventually like to buy a Lewis Lightning, but I'd prefer one with the original '58 spec. I can see it appealing if you have a practical use for it, but it wouldn't be for me.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
They're a thing I associate with Lewis Leathers in particular. Lewis introduced them across all their Lancer front jackets, as I recall, in 1962. Personally, I much prefer the cleaner look of without; I'd eventually like to buy a Lewis Lightning, but I'd prefer one with the original '58 spec. I can see it appealing if you have a practical use for it, but it wouldn't be for me.

Same here, to me the sleeve pocket is a Lewis Leathers thing.... I do think it looks cool, but it is pretty much useless.
My girlfriend has one on her Super Monza and you can't put anything in it. Keys, coins etc are uncomfortable, it's too small for a credit card, i think hair ties are the only thing she puts in it.

I just google imaged "langlitz leather" its insane the number of weird leather fetishist that wear these! This is so weird...

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've always been told that if you can get past feeling weird about it, there are some fantastic and affordable jackets on the fetish market. Never really looked into it myself, though.

tblay

One of the Regulars

I like Lewis Leathers' designs a lot. I just can't get past the branding on the chest.

Same here, to me the sleeve pocket is a Lewis Leathers thing.... I do think it looks cool, but it is pretty much useless.
My girlfriend has one on her Super Monza and you can't put anything in it. Keys, coins etc are uncomfortable, it's too small for a credit card, i think hair ties are the only thing she puts in it.

Interesting input. I wish I had enough hair to require a hair tie. :D

Edward

Bartender
I like Lewis Leathers' designs a lot. I just can't get past the branding on the chest.

If it was still an option, I'd order without myself - though I can understand why they do it. It's really quite a small label, though, and once the gold leaf stuff that picks out the logo wears a bit, it's hardly noticeable. I remember my folks had an ex-GPO briefcase my mother used years ago; Dad took the gold logo off that with a bit of nail varnish, as I recall; once that's gone, the embossing is very subtle. Not a deal breaker for me, but I am glad My Aeros, Schott, and such don't have it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
In terms of appearance, I don't like the sleeve pockets.

In terms of utility, I'm not sure what they're intended for. I like handwarmer pockets and a diagonal chest pocket. Maybe a coin pocket. But as far as extra pockets, I like a few internal pockets. Too many pockets and you start losing track of what's in them, and end up losing stuff, or looking dumb as you pat yourself down trying to find the thing you need.

tblay

One of the Regulars
In terms of appearance, I don't like the sleeve pockets.

In terms of utility, I'm not sure what they're intended for. I like handwarmer pockets and a diagonal chest pocket. Maybe a coin pocket. But as far as extra pockets, I like a few internal pockets. Too many pockets and you start losing track of what's in them, and end up losing stuff, or looking dumb as you pat yourself down trying to find the thing you need.

I agree, so I'm trying to avoid both too many and too few. :)

My original Langlitz had a slant chest pocket, as well as the two standard hand warmers. But I started feeling like the chest pocket was too busy. I now prefer a clean chest. I'm wondering if I'll end up making the same "mistake," in terms of personal aesthetics, if I commit to the forearm pocket... What a 1st-world problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy