Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook anybody?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
They use your PMs for marketing purposes .......I spoke once of a particular kind of candy to a friend, and then the next day, targeted ad for that candy...and so on. At least with email it's more secure.
Gmail reads your mail and has corresponding ad links in place as soon as you open your mail.

Boy..I must be lucky. There's been no downside for me concerning Facebook...or PMs. Get very few ads on email. Perhaps I have a good filter(?). I am always very careful what I do click on,tho.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Boy..I must be lucky. There's been no downside for me concerning Facebook...or PMs. Get very few ads on email. Perhaps I have a good filter(?). I am always very careful what I do click on,tho.

Definitely one has to be careful. I never clicked anything on FB, nor consented to being used in an ad. Very strange.

Luckily there's no ads in my email either, but I don't use Gmail.

I sometimes miss the FB days! It is an easy way to share photos and such with friends.

X
BD

TidiousTed

Practically Family
I use both FaceBook (got one id for my blog and one personal) and Google+, which I like a lot better than FB and I use G-mail (because I don't want privat mails in my business mail). The Ads on either of them doesn't bother me at all, I hardly even notice them and I haven't clicked one in donkey's years. Besides when you start using G-mail you agree to having ads added to your mailbox and so do you when you start using any other free mail service. There are actually no such thing as a free lunch.

But then again I make my living designing for the Internet so I may be part of the problem
;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

perry-mason.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I cannot see myself using facebook, not in my lifetime won't happen. Not going to be able to state much more about the topic, seems too "political" for stating reasons behind my thoughts and would only have the bartenders wanting to erase what I would post about it. The bartenders have their hands full doing what they do now, so I won't add anything to their work load!

I like my life being "secure", and that leaves facebook out of my picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner