Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair Isle Sweater (Jumper) Vest

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I have seen some photos of these in patterns and colors I like in Pinterest, so I saved them. I hope to acquire at least 2 that are similar to the ones I found for a reasonable cost. I didn't know they were called this until I went looking around and so made mental notes.

Mad Mac

New in Town
"Fair Isle Sweater"

So that's what they're called! I've always referred to tham as "All Creatures Great and Small" sweaters, because everyone on that show wore one. I've looked everywhere to find a really authentic looking one. I suppose they really should be hand knit by someone near and dear to you. Is there a shop in the UK that might specialize in them? I suppose that an authentic one will set be back $200 or $300, as opposed to the $20 to $80 a machine made one would cost.
Are these sweaters also referred to as jerkins in Britain?
Without arms we call them a Fair isle 'tank top' which to us looks like a vest, which Scots (class as similar to the white underwear under a shirt not a waistcoat).. P.s if buying machine made it won't be authentic and probably won't even be pure wool or Shetland wool, luckily enough I've got a number of them living in Scotland which I managed to pick up cheaply at charity shops, I've still not picked up the courage to wear them out often... You've deffinately got to have the correct vintage trousers to match they look rediculous with jeans, and a shirt, compared to a decent waistcoat pocket warch and shirt which goes well with any form of trousers or jeans. I've got a number of links for shirts which I will pass on to you. Ironically the fair isle came about due to visiting Spanish fishermen and the bright colours they wore. The local fishermen here developed it in to their own patterns denoting Island of origin mainly, I don't think it got reduced down to family level that was the Aran sweater from northern Ireland.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points