Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake eyelashes

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Last time I went to Hawaii I felt like my mascara was always smeared from heat and humidity.

I am thinking about trying fake eyelashes again (light brown to match my own lashes)....what is the deal with eyeliner? Should you add eye liner when wearing them or is the line from the lash enough? And how do you put it on without making a mess of the lash glue?

olive bleu

One Too Many
good luck to you on that one.I wore fake lashes once. I was going to a party for The opening of The Rocky Horror Picture show, and went in drag( i guess it can't be technically called "drag" if you are already a girl, but you get my meaning.

I had such a hard time with the glue.I got one on ok , but the other one, i got completely gunked up with glue, so the lashes were all clumped together and it didn't sit on my eye lid properly so i looked like i had a drooping eye all evening:eek: .. not a pretty look- not even for a drag queen.

Can anyone else help?[huh]

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I popped a set on in really short order today (for a trial) so there was no problem with glue part. I have screwed up a few sets like that in the past with the glue though :eusa_doh:

olive bleu

One Too Many
sounds like you are well on your way, then. I wore eyeliner with mine, but then.. i was going for an over-the-top-look anyway;)

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
They take practice. And they should be worn with liner. I think I read that liquid eyeliner was created to hide the seam. But then if you're wearing liner, when regular mascara is smearing...[huh]

Another option is "Kiss Me" mascara--it forms fiber "tubes" around the hairs, and they don't some off without water and gentle pressure. It can flake a little, if you rub your eyes, but that's easily fixed--more easily than smeared mascara, anyways. Rubbing your eyes will mess up fake lashes as well, though.

fleur

One of the Regulars
I always put my foundation on and prep my eylides with FY eye by Benefit.

I then apply glue with the end of a pin to the edge of the false lash, apply, dry then make up! I tidy the "join" with liner whether it liquid or pencil.

Whether this is right or wrong, it always works for me.

I know someone who has eyelash extensions - they look wonderful but I dont know if I would fancy it :eek:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
During the hair and make-up class this past weekend they went over false eyelashes. The make-up artist told us to put eyeliner on first, then the lashes. If after the lashes are on, the liner looks un-even, it's easier to touch up rather than having to apply a whole line of liner after the lashes are set. Also she said to curl your natural lashes before applying false ones.
As for stickiness of the glue, she said it's easiest to apply the glue to the lashes with a thin makeup brush, or you can remove the cotton from the end of a qtip. Just remember, don't glue your eyes shut :eek: :D

olive bleu

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
As for stickiness of the glue, she said it's easiest to apply the glue to the lashes with a thin makeup brush, or you can remove the cotton from the end of a qtip. Just remember, don't glue your eyes shut :eek: :D

NOW YOU TELL ME!lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

I always put eyeliner on first then touch up after the lashes are on. A very helpful tip if applying the glue sparingly, then waiting a minute or so for the glue to become tacky. If you put the lashes on when the glue is still runny they're a pain!!

If you're new at them using a lash applicator is helpful. So is black lash glue, if you're going with black liner.

BegintheBeguine

When I wear the individual perma-lashes, I don't wear any liner or mascara. If you go this route, set aside a quiet chunk of time when your hands won't shake. ;) I just replace any ones that fall off and they last for weeks. Resist the temptation to rub your eyes even with a washcloth. Just splash with water to clean. They look like the longest real lashes. Mod or Ardell makes them, at Sally or drugstores, and get a bottle of the permanent adhesive. The short ones are plenty long. I apply them with my fingertips, as I feel that gives me more control than tweezers or the plastic applicator. After the initial applying time, you will save lots of time and effort daily by not having to put on liner and mascara and then removing it at night. Good luck.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
YEA!!! EYELASHES!!!

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
A very helpful tip if applying the glue sparingly, then waiting a minute or so for the glue to become tacky. If you put the lashes on when the glue is still runny they're a pain!!

Right on! They make seamless lashes, which I sometimes use if I don't feel like eyeliner... Also, usuing the head tilt back/sleepy eyes trick makes it easier to apply them. You know, I never got into using an eyelash curler on myself until this year- before and after applying lashes and it's great! I should have done it sooner. I am going through individual lash phase now. I always save lashes 'til the end so no product falls on the top of them, but that's me. Everyone has their own routine that works!! I love hearing about everyone else's tricks.

Side note to Tough Cookie- I wasn't fond of the kiss me mascara- I felt like it lumped too many lashes into one tube. Did you like it?

Amelie

A-List Customer
Tough Cookie said:
Another option is "Kiss Me" mascara--it forms fiber "tubes" around the hairs, and they don't some off without water and gentle pressure. It can flake a little, if you rub your eyes, but that's easily fixed--more easily than smeared mascara, anyways. Rubbing your eyes will mess up fake lashes as well, though.

I totally agree, that mascara works like a miracle, no more racoon eyes... ever!
I just can't stand the idea of wearing something else now... :rage:

The only problem might be if you want to have a more dramatic look. That mascara tends to look quite natural even though it elongates the lashes a little bit...

But then again, if you want to have a more dramatic look, false lashes are a good idea. I use the eyeliner before application, let the glue dry a little bit before, and use the top of a bobby pin to make sure the false lashes are pushed really close to the real lash line :rolleyes:

(that way I managed to have it right the very first time I tried! :) )

katiemakeup said:
Side note to Tough Cookie- I wasn't fond of the kiss me mascara- I felt like it lumped too many lashes into one tube. Did you like it?

That could be a problem too, but it's always easy to separate them before they dry. But they changed their brushes shapes recently (with the packaging). The shape is funny and bigger at the sides, but it turned up to be very helpful for corners!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I frequently wear false eyelashes but I've decided to try the individual ones from Ardel with the permalash glue. Well I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as they appear to be hanging by a thread and are placed incorrectly on my lids. Suggestions or tips from anyone who uses them would be greatly appreciated.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
goldwyn girl said:
I frequently wear false eyelashes but I've decided to try the individual ones from Ardel with the permalash glue. Well I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as they appear to be hanging by a thread and are placed incorrectly on my lids. Suggestions or tips from anyone who uses them would be greatly appreciated.

While I've never mastered individual lashes myself, I do know that they are supposed to be applied to your lashes at the base, rather than to your lid. Use tweezers, dip the bottom in glue (not just the tip, but some of the base of the under side of the lashes), and then lay them on top of your lashes.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I allways wear them with eyeliner. I apply the eyeliner. Than I put a tiny amount of glue on the lashes and wait for a few seconds. I put them on and press them tight with the round end of a bobby-pin. That´s the way it works best for me.

DrMags

New in Town
I think this, like anything else, just takes practice

I used to wear them all the time for dance performances with stage makeup. I preferred to do foundation /base, then eyelashes, then the rest because sometimes the glue could muck up liner if it was pre done. Maybe that was just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner