Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Farewell My Lovely... Hello my lovely hat.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I hope to benefit from your expertise. If you have seen Robert Mitchum in Farewell My Lovely (and you really should), can you say what colour his hat is? What about the band? And the big question: Where can I get a lid like that?

Here's a picture, if I can get it to work, as a reference:

marlowepoliziottoprivato.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Don't know about the color, but there are 3 very respectable hatters that can make you one like it. Optimo, great work high price. Art Fawcett, great work, very reasonable price. Steve Delk, great work, a little cheaper than Art as he doesn't do an edge binding on the brim.

fedoralover

Harry Lime

Suspended
Mitchum's "Farewell" wardrobe.

jake_fink said:
I hope to benefit from your expertise. If you have seen Robert Mitchum in Farewell My Lovely (and you really should), can you say what colour his hat is? What about the band? And the big question: Where can I get a lid like that?

Here's a picture, if I can get it to work, as a reference:

marlowepoliziottoprivato.jpg

Mitchum's "Farewell" wardrobe was entirely vintage, assembled totally from studio archive resources. In the great Mitchum biography "Baby. I don't Care" there is talk of the 40's suit he wore. It had been used previosly by Victor Mature in "Kiss of Death" and Mitchum wasn't exactly thrilled to wearing "Victure Mature's old farted-up suit." But he did and it looked great. Excellent movie as well.

Graham makes an excellent "Mitchum" block hat and (at least used to) have a body that matches that color almost exactly.

Harry Lime

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I got one almost exactly like it on eBay about three weeks ago. Mine is a vintage Champ with a 2 1/2" brim. Almost the same color body, mine is a tiny bit more to the brown side, but the ribbon is dead-on. I'd post a photo, but I'm at work right now. Maybe I can do it later.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
That bio of Mitchum by Lee Server is one of the best books ever written.

Okay, that's a bit much, but it sure is good.

I won't be able to afford an Optimo (ever), so what else should I be looking for... a Champ in the vintages section of my vintner/grocer/haberdasher, but what about new models. Is there an Akubra that gets close in colour or shape (I like the Federation, but the gray is too blue), and what about swapping bands... is that a brown band or a very faded black band?

Thanks for all your help so far guys. Keep farting up your suits!

in/y

One of the Regulars
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd revive this one.

I too want a hat like Mitchum's in Farewell My Lovely and wanted to see if anyone has any newer info/ideas about this hat, especially the color of the band.

I'll likely have to have one made as it's darn tough to find vintage hats that fit my 7 5/8-7 3/4 size head.

Here's a few shots of the hat in question as well as that truly outstanding "old farted up suit"... I may have to have one of those made for me as well.
upload_2018-3-15_9-30-16.jpeg upload_2018-3-15_9-30-33.jpeg upload_2018-3-15_9-30-44.jpeg

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
Not a high quality hat but Christies felt colour called Burma looks similar - although it's very dependent on lighting

kaosharper1

One Too Many
That's a deep bash. You'll need a 6" crown to really replicate it like the Maltese Falcon replica in my Avatar that Art Fawcett made for me.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Hey there in/y- I liked this idea so much I contacted Art myself over the weekend. He saw the posting and seems excited at the prospect of building the hat. I'm really leaning towards having one made myself!

Hope you don't mind my piggy-backing along on a great idea.

Thx-
-Brando (Lorry Cohn)

in/y

One of the Regulars
No problem piggy-backing on a great idea (IMHO) Brando. Where would we be without latching on to great ideas?

Perhaps Art will give us a multi-hat discount.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I bought a used VHS, but still...even if they only played it on cable once, I could record it and burn my own DVD. Ah well, no worries.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Hi

Just watched the you tube link, thanks for posting. I hadn't seen this film before and it interesting to see these authentic wardrobe items in colour.

As regards the hat, I would imagine 'granite' would be the closest winchester felt. How about the ribbon colour, it appears to be a dark burgundy on my screen?

Cheers

Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy