Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion with Aunt Flow

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina said:
I don't have to generally deal with it. My menses are so messed up that when I do get one, I'm more annoyed then anything else. I don't hurt, no cramps, and other then the mild headaches, I go on like normal.

I had an Aunt I asked when I was younger and she said that many made that extra effort to look nicer then usual because it was a good pick me up for feeling bad. Special dress, perfume, nail color etc. And I have to admit when I'm ill it does makes a difference in my outlook and feelings.

Elaina
Due to some medications I'm on, I have a very irregular cycle. I have only had it twice this year. This always worries me, because I know it will make having children difficult. But, as for when it does come, I'm pretty miserable. Thermacare heat wraps are a staple in my wardrobe. I'm already on pretty heavy painkillers, but sometimes I take a few extra to deal with the cramps. But, even with all of that, I'm happy that I get it, for it means that something is still working. As for trying to look nice, for the first few days I try to do as little as possible in the public eye so I can get away with wearing my black velvet sweat suit! So very JLO, I know, but so comfortable.

Daisy Buchanan

sandysfancy said:
Yes, I have definitely heard that and found it to be very true.
I still cannot believe it is almost 2006 and still tons of research into menopause and perimenopause is still iffy. (horse urine, please! )
I bet if you lined up 10 women maybe 2 would know what to expect.
A bit off topic is the autoimmune link that is probably connected.
Stuff especially like thyroid and diabetes is connected and few know about that. :eek:fftopic:
As baby boomers age and start demanding answers it is really hopefully going to make inroads for the ones behind them.
Wow, I am really out of the loop. Is there an autoimmune link to menopause? I have 2 autoimmune diseases, so if there is a link like that to menopause, I'll probably end up with some problems.
I know there is a website I think it is www.knowmenopause.com
but I'm not sure. My mom says it has a lot of great facts. As for woman not being informed, my mom is of the age and it seems to be the one thing she talks about with her girlfriends, since they're all going through it together. She seemed very knowledgeable about all of her choices, but because there were so many, it was difficult to pick just one method to handle it. I think there is a big campaign out now, which I've seen in commercials and advertised on line for the importance of knowing how to handle it. By the way, just found out that September is national menopause month!

Elaina

One Too Many
You know, I think when it's time to have kids, you'll have them.

At the point I got pregnant with my son, I hadn't had a visit for 5 months, and it was over a year before that. Had it really regular for the 5 years following that, and haven't had one now in 6 months.

I'm not supposed to be able to have kids, yet I can turn and stare at the one I have.

I also am to the point I have everything in my life under control, I know where I want to be, and been resolved to the fact Casey will be my one and only. We're also waiting to see if I am pregnant now, so eh.

Elaina

Daisy Buchanan

Elaina said:
You know, I think when it's time to have kids, you'll have them.

At the point I got pregnant with my son, I hadn't had a visit for 5 months, and it was over a year before that. Had it really regular for the 5 years following that, and haven't had one now in 6 months.

I'm not supposed to be able to have kids, yet I can turn and stare at the one I have.

I also am to the point I have everything in my life under control, I know where I want to be, and been resolved to the fact Casey will be my one and only. We're also waiting to see if I am pregnant now, so eh.

Elaina
Thank you Elaina. I'm so happy that you have your little Casey, he's a miracle. I hope that you are pregnant now too. That would be wonderful news.
I feel like I am following in the footsteps of my Grandmother. Every person in my family, except her, has lived long fruitul lives. My Grandmother had Lupus Erythmetosis, this affected her ability to conceive. It is also an autoimmune disease, which I have two of. But, I keep up my hopes. The one thing I really want in my life is to someday have children. My doctor say's when I'm ready, they will take me off of all my meds for three months, and then I should be able to start trying. The only risky thing is, going off my meds for that long could make me pretty sick. But, I think it will be totally worth it for a healthy baby.:eek:fftopic:
I'm so glad to hear from someone else who has had something so good happen. I'll keep a finger crossed for you and the rest of your family.

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
Paisley said:
I just don't wear my skinny clothes for a couple of days. I imagine most women throughout history have had to get up, tie the corset a little looser, get dressed and get on with it. They probably had some herbal remedies to help them feel better.
Let hear it for midol!!! i gotta admit, i take a completely different approach. I take something for the pain, force myself to get all gussied up and by the end of the day, i feel much better (and maybe even a little sexy) lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ITG said:
I've hear that when you have Aunt Flow visit, usually the women around you who you spend the most time with also get the same visit by Aunt Flow at about the same time but she usually visits the more dominant of the females first. Anyone heard this? At the school I worked at a few years ago, this ringed true for 4 of us who taught in the same hallway.

That happened where I worked. I generally start first, or antoher girl Id know, then within hours/ days, most of the other gals would start as well. Boy oh boy, the boys were on edge during that time. lol

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
ITG said:
I've hear that when you have Aunt Flow visit, usually the women around you who you spend the most time with also get the same visit by Aunt Flow at about the same time but she usually visits the more dominant of the females first. Anyone heard this? At the school I worked at a few years ago, this ringed true for 4 of us who taught in the same hallway.

This happens with my cousin, a really good friend of mine and me. It did happen with my mom when we lived together and she was still menstruating. I didn't know about the dominant woman thing! I get mine first, I wouldn't consider myself to be dominant.

Do you ladies really feel lots of pain during and before? I don't get that at all, other than retaining water and slight cramps the first day, I'm okay.

BTW, this is one of the BEST books I have ever read on women's health. Very good. http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Reproductive/dp/0060937645/sr=8-1/qid=1159509450/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0629374-5447924?ie=UTF8&s=books

Rosie

One Too Many
Oh, I just realized that I know why that happens. The intention of our bodies is to reproduce. I think I read somewhere, it is the bodies intention that if you are to get pregnant, you should get pregnant around the same time other women are pregnant since if you die, the other women around you could still nurse the baby. I'm not sure how true that is because I've also read that a woman who has never had a child can still produce milk for a child if needed. Sorry to go so off topic. :eek:

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Do you ladies really feel lots of pain during and before? I don't get that at all, other than retaining water and slight cramps the first day, I'm okay.
Like you the only cramping I have is usually during the first hour before and the 6 or so hours of the visit and then no more cramps. So if I'm home I take Advil and curl up in a ball and it feels better. Any pain I have before hand is usually back pain. I've tried the Thermacare heat packs Daisy spoke of and they are wonderful!

Nashoba

One Too Many
I've had the same cycle experience too. My best friend and I have been on the same cycle for years. We're still pretty close but when we were living together it was dead on. As far as having problems having children, yeah it can cause issues if you have irregular periods. I've had them for years and didn't think too much about it because I've been on the pill since I was 16 for that reason. It wasn't until my husband and I actually started trying to get pregnant that I realized how big of a deal that was. It turned out that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and that I'm Hypoglycemic and that they're connected to top it off. My insulin levels screw up my hormone levels which screws up everything else. So now I'm on insulin inhibitors and after a year of that, they've put me on clomid. Hopefully the clomid works soon because we've been trying for 3 years. What screws it up now is we just got word that he'll be deploying again soon and I'm about to start my second round of clomid. sigh. I know it will happen...I'm just getting impatient..which I'm sure is what I'm supposed to learn from this whole infertility experience. Patience.

Nash

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The worst thing for me is nervous tension and headaches the week before -- sometimes tipping over into fullfledged migraines. The arrival of Auntie herself has always been kind of a relief -- sometimes I'm crampy and ill-tempered but nowhere near as bad as the PMS stuff.

wibblebird

New in Town
Nashoba said:
It turned out that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and that I'm Hypoglycemic and that they're connected to top it off. My insulin levels screw up my hormone levels which screws up everything else. So now I'm on insulin inhibitors and after a year of that, they've put me on clomid. Hopefully the clomid works soon because we've been trying for 3 years. What screws it up now is we just got word that he'll be deploying again soon and I'm about to start my second round of clomid. sigh. I know it will happen...I'm just getting impatient..which I'm sure is what I'm supposed to learn from this whole infertility experience. Patience.

Nash

FYI - my sister had the exact same situation. PCOS, followed with Glucophage, then 2 rounds of Clomid. I'm happy to say my nephew was born in August!

Good luck to you!:)

Raegan

New in Town
I have a book called The Modern Medical Counselor printed in 1943. Basically what it says it that for dysmenorrhea "two days before expected time for the flow to begin" you cut back on housework. Then when it hits, go to bed and stay there until it's over. I love the idea since most of the time I CAN'T get out of bed, but I have to force myself, drug myself, and then walk around in pain. It's awful, but I don't think my teachers would accept the "it's that time of the month" excuse. (For reference they also prescribe enemas. They seemed to do that for a LOT of things.)

Nashoba

One Too Many
wibblebird said:
FYI - my sister had the exact same situation. PCOS, followed with Glucophage, then 2 rounds of Clomid. I'm happy to say my nephew was born in August!

Good luck to you!:)

I've been on Metformin which is the generic form of glucophage for a little over a year now. I'm about to start my second round of clomid but they had to put me on Proverea first because Auntie refused to come visit and all the prego tests came out negative. I'm hoping the second round of clomid does the trick because we just got notification that my husband will be leaving in October for training in Virgina until December and then in January he's leaving for Iraq again. As it is I may have to go out and "vacation" in virginia for a week if he leaves at the wrong time! If it doesn't work by then we're set back another 6 - 8 months while he's deployed. Add into that the stress of getting him ready to go back to Iraq and who knows!
Thanks! We need all the luck we can get!
Nash

Foofoogal

Banned
Daisy, sorry to not respond sooner but an uncle of mine passed away and family came in.
I am in remission for Graves disease for 3 years now and take no medicine (though I did for 6 months) and still have my thyroid. I use diet like in Europe and Japan. There is a good Graves disease group on Yahoo. I think they helped me tremendously as well as finding a great endo.
Lupus as well is an autoimmune disease. I just really think that though lots of studies are going on there needs to be more and yes the immune system can greatly affect menses.

Rosie

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow, I am really out of the loop. Is there an autoimmune link to menopause? I have 2 autoimmune diseases, so if there is a link like that to menopause, I'll probably end up with some problems.
There can be. I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothyroidism/article.htm and through my doctor, I've met another girl with it. She misses cycles, sometimes only having it a few times a year and like you said, that can be an issue when wanting to conceive. My cycle is VERY normal, I track it using the method in this book http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0060937645/ref=s9_asin_title_1/104-0629374-5447924
Though I have most of the symptoms especially weight gan, being cold all of the time and becoming hoarse, irregular cycles wasn't one of them but I realize that could change at any time. I was recommended that book by a woman who had PCOS and conceived naturally in a decent amount of time. Not that I am thinking of conceiving anytime soon but she thought I should read it and in my opinion, it is great, maybe you should get it, it's been very valuable to me.

Daisy Buchanan

My mom has Hashimoto's. She actually had her thyroid removed.
I have two autoimmune diseases, Crohns and Rheumatoid arthritis, but I don't think it's the diseases causing my irregular cycle, it's the long term immunosuppresants, such as low dose chemotherapy, that is reaking havoc on my reproductive system. They think if I go off these meds, things will go back to normal.
Thanks Sandy, and Good luck to you Nashoba. Our thoughts are with you and your husband. Thank him for me for doing such an honorable job :)

Nashoba

One Too Many
lol
Daisy Buchanan said:
Good luck to you Nashoba. Our thoughts are with you and your husband. Thank him for me for doing such an honorable job

I will. Thank you Daisy. That means a great deal to me. I'm hoping the clomid works this time or we won't have another shot at it until almost a year from now. It's just a wee bit frustrating. The last couple of weeks have been frustrating, they havn't told us much and the word keeps changing. We got very short notice this time and I havn't fully processed it yet. I better stock up on Ben & Jerry's and check TCM's movie schedule! lol :)

Nash

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo