Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashions from the movie Laura

cashun

New in Town
I am completely inlove with Gene Tierney's Wardrobe in Laura. Loved it, everything from the gorgeous white gown, to the fabulous dress she is interrogated in, the that fabulous pantsuit she wore towards the end. Does anyone have any suggestions of a designer or retail store that would carry those type of outfits. I've tried the ole' vintage thing, but here in Little Rock we are limited in vintage couture, and I'm dying to find some way to replicate these looks. Any advice?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I have no advice but I completely agree with you--except for that strange, droopy hat she wears in several scenes. Such beautiful clothes and then that hat-very odd!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Laura is my absolute favorite movie. LOVE everything about it!

lauradresstwo.jpg

Here are some pics:

laurastripes.jpg

laurahat.jpg

lauradress.jpg

laurashirt.jpg

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Those are great pictures, AmateisGal. Thanks for posting them. Laura is one of my favorites too. The clothes seem impossibly gorgeous and unattainable, just like Laura.

Laura's hats always puzzled me too, imoldfashioned. I had never seen anything like them in my 40s fashion mags, then in a 1944 Harper's Bazaar, same year as Laura, I came across a model wearing a similar style hat:
47b8dc06b3127cceb5f62c12ce8900000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Here's a tiny view of the pants outfit - for casual lounging at home:
47b8dc06b3127cceb5f62c154fbe00000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

and dreamy Laura in a sweater
47b8dc06b3127cceb5f62c16ce8d00000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
If I could wear that white gown she has on in the party scene, oh boy, would I ever! I've always thought she looked absolutely stunning in it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cashun said:
I've tried the ole' vintage thing, but here in Little Rock we are limited in vintage couture, and I'm dying to find some way to replicate these looks. Any advice?

Shop religiously on Ebay. You'll find stuff. Or get vintage patterns and find a good seamstress :)

cashun

New in Town
I've tried the online vintage thing, but I always get a size that you can barely fit a stringbean into. That is so frustrating, I know the sizes are different now, and a size 8 is not the same as it used to be, but even ordering several sizes too big, I'm usually lacking enough material to fit the lengths of my arms or go down to my feet. That's why I prefer trying on my clothes before I buy.

If only I could sew. I have a copy of Laura on DVD and on that cover the dress she gets interrogated in is dark blue. I would sooooo make that. If I could find that sweater, I would wear the heck out of that, talk about making jaws drop.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cashun said:
I've tried the online vintage thing, but I always get a size that you can barely fit a stringbean into. That is so frustrating, I know the sizes are different now, and a size 8 is not the same as it used to be, but even ordering several sizes too big, I'm usually lacking enough material to fit the lengths of my arms or go down to my feet. That's why I prefer trying on my clothes before I buy.

Cashun, don't buy based on size. Vintage sizes were different. I wear a modern size 8, a vintage size 12-16 depending on the era, and a pattern size 14. There is so much discrepancy in sizes by era and by manufacturer, that only going by size is a surefire way to make sure you'll get something that doesn't fit.

Always go by garment measurements and measure clothes that you already have so you have something to go by. Most sellers provide measurements for their items and if they don't, just ask. Any seller worth buying from will take measurements for you. Use bust, waist and hip measurements, along with skirt length measurements and shoulder to waist ones as well.

Smuterella

One Too Many
you have to measure yourself, check the measurements on eBay and account for an extra inch or so as you need to be able to move in things. I'm generally pretty good with eBay these days, things fit me. I only fault is that I buy things that are incredibly OTT.

Honestly, give it another go.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
cashun said:
I am completely inlove with Gene Tierney's Wardrobe in Laura. Loved it, everything from the gorgeous white gown, to the fabulous dress she is interrogated in, the that fabulous pantsuit she wore towards the end.

Me too! I love her whole look.

manton

A-List Customer
Not that you gals care, but all of Clifton Webb's clothes in that movie were his own, from Anderson & Sheppard, and actually cut by Pete Sheppard, a student of the great Scholte. Look at the cut and hang of the trousers in the first scene, when he has his jacket off. Perfect!

The fit and drape of the coats were excellent too.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
I wish pictures were enough.

How do you get outfits like that made?

Where do you go?

How much can you be expected to pay (Like on the white outfit w/hat, or the cover outfit)

Any other tips?

(Can you tell I'm crazy for Gene's wardrobe as well?)

sixsexsix

Practically Family
this seller will do custom work, for a pretty reasonable rate. i recommend ordering a number of things at once bc her shipping is kind of high, but i have had multiple items made by her specifically for my measurements and they are well constructed and fit to a T. If you email her photos she can usually give you a quote pretty quickly.

http://stores.ebay.com/TopRunway

miss_elise

Practically Family
could you not take some pics (screen shots, etc.) to a seamstress and get her to make you something.

It won't be exact, but it will definitely be inspired by...(i imagine in much the same way that they make those rip-offs of catwalk designs in China)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the hat too.

I haven't seen the movie. But looking at these pics, it seems like a mid 40s take on early 30s clothes - which would explain the slightly cloche-like, Eugenie-style hat... the cowl neck on the evening gown... the wavy hairdo...
Anyone seen it? Is the plot suggestive of that looking back? I guess I have to add it to the Nextflix list...
It is expensive, but OH so worth it to have stuff made for you. Exactly what you want, in your size, and if you're lucky, the right fabric - and it doesn't fall apart on you!
When I have money, I have Theresa LaQuey make me things, and they last and last and last. You can also find some of her Simplicity patterns, and they are easy to sew!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
of course! you could also look on craiglist under services for a dressmaker. after a little trial and error i found a girl in my city who does excellent work at $15 an hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy