Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

One Too Many
Looks like I'll be the first one to say the 55-56 Ford Thunderbird.

2756_Ford_Thunderbird.jpg

This car's been driving me nuts since I was a little kid, and I still have every intention of getting one eventually.

Personally I prefer the '56 over the '55, just because of the added goodies and perfected design...

Cherry red, with a white hard top...fender skirts, continental touring kit...:essen:

The '57 is nice too, but it feels a little more feminine to me somehow.

I love this other one, its original gear box is excellent, Ford family of fine cars ¡¡¡¡¡

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It is one of my favourite cars, I think is one of the best builded in this time, V8, 5.0 L., four barrel carb, 4 forward and reverse gear box, what a car.

I love the Lowey Studebakers myself, but I think mechanically you're talking about one of the newer Hawks rather than the '53 or '54 illustrated. An early model would be my preference, and all the better if refitted with the 304/4-speed combo you described.

-Dave

One Too Many
I love the Lowey Studebakers myself, but I think mechanically you're talking about one of the newer Hawks rather than the '53 or '54 illustrated. An early model would be my preference, and all the better if refitted with the 304/4-speed combo you described.

-Dave
Hi Dave, greetings from SLP., México, Yes I had a 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk, You have reason, I could not find other picture in the lounge and I have posted this wich is almost equal, the 57 has front and back different, unfortunately I do not have any picture of my loved car, I had it at 15 years old ( my father gave it), but after a time It was sold because I drive it at dangerous speed, This car could performance more than 135 M.P.H. Was Incredible ¡¡¡¡¡
Now I drive a 84 Mustang V8 5.0 L. four barrel carb, but never drive more than 65 M.P.H.
Best wishes and happy, happy new year, was a pleasure.

Last edited:

lord_k

One of the Regulars
What Happened to the Glorious Thread?

It seems to quietly fade away since it has been transferred to the Observation Bar. Anyway, here are two 1947 Studs - not the most gorgeous but convincing:

via paul.malon @ Flickr

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
What wonderful automobiles Americans used to craft! My grandfather always drove Cadillacs - always black and always new. Here's a photo of him with my mother in 1952 -

mothercaddy1meg5ed.png
[/URL][/IMG]

My great-aunt bought a new Cadillac Coupe DeVille (1950 or 1951) and drove the car daily until her death 40 years later. She was widely recognized in her small Southern town as a tuft of blue hair just visible above the massive steering wheel. She was a seemstress and dressmaker, and made most of her own clothes to match the two tone color scheme of her Cadillac.

auntfrankiecadillac8009tj.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I recently bought a similar car, but decided on Cadillac's 1952 limousine version of the Fleetwood (Model 7533X). I wanted a big car to collect my boat's guests from the airport, and the limo seats five guests in the rear compartment. I also knew that I would never be willing to leave the car unattended in a parking lot, and never be willing to turn the car over to a valet. The best alternative was a chauffeur to babysit the car while I was in the restaurant / bar /theater. I found a responsible college kid, vetted his driving record, and had him fitted with a traditional chauffeur's tunic, jodhpurs, and riding boots. Finding a chauffeur was a bit more difficult than I had imagined. Mid-century limousines were always hand-made, and the front chauffeur's compartment was custom fitted to the original chauffeur. The driver was sent to the manufacturing plant, where the front chauffeur's bench was fitted and adjusted to the driver, then welded in place. If you later fired your chauffeur, you had to find another driver of the same height (or you had to buy a new car - great job security for the chauffeur). I had to find a driver who could fit comfortably into the unadjustable driver's seat. Limousines of this era were designed with two distinct interior treatments. The front chauffeur's compartment was covered in black tuck-and-roll calfskin with a matching black calfskin headliner. The rear compartment was upholstered in heavy woven wool brocade. Leather was not considered a luxury seating material - only rich woven fabrics were suitable for the behinds of the wealthy. The rich and famous sat on wool and silk - the driver sat on cow.

And so here's my new toy - a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Golden Anniversary Limousine, Model 7533X with Coachwork by Derham

derhamdetailed4vh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a painting of the car by automotive artist John Lander

Cadillac - "Standard of the World"

Your family has great taste in cars! The pic of your grandfather and mother is adorable!

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
148424_10150122544973916_680448915_7826210_7055851_n.jpg

Ohhhh my first post out side the powder room I think! Yesterday I purchased a 1949 Morris Oxford!!!! I know it isn't perhaps as beautiful as some of the ones I've seen in this thread but it is MINE bwhahahaha!
Currently in a state of dis-repair my chap and I will restore it to its formor glory. He restores vintage tractors and trucks so showing me how to rebuild the tiny motor should be a breeze! And as for the body work he says if I do all the sanding and bogging he will re-spray it for me...he is a good man with just as much passion for vintage 'stuff' as me (maybe more lol)

YEEHA!!! :D Awsome little car. My mother had a Morris Mini and my father had a Morris Minor when I was a kid. The Mini was cherry red when mum bought it (years before my sis and I arrived) it faded to pink! and the Morris Minor was lemon yellow with a black strip along the sides of it. I remember playing in the Minor one day and let the handbreak, the poor old car run into a tree!

Effingham

A-List Customer
My favorite oldie is the Auburn boat-tail speedster (as in my avatar at left).

It was my dad's first car, and I really want one -- even if it has to be a fiberglass replica.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
This 1958 Olds is exactly like the one we had when I was a little boy. 1958 may not exactly be considered Golden Age as the term is used on this forum, but it remains my favorite car.

1958_Oldsmobile_Dynamic_88_4-door_sedan-w.jpg

We later traded it in for a 1962 Olds Starfire exactly like this one.

carbonecp.jpg

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It reminds me so much of the car in Topper, but without the fin:

That's why I like it so much. :) It's got a sort of archetypical look that's striking. If I were to build a car it would look something like that.

Your car has the superhero colour! :)

I would never have chosen that color myself, but on that car almost any color would probably look good.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
After watching Easy Virtue last night I have a new close second to the 1937 Cord in my favorite cars. The 1937 Frazer Nash BMW 328.
2009-b4-01.jpg

I know I'll never get to have one in this lifetime, but it is good to dream though. Maybe I can view one in person in this lifetime.

Cheers!

Dan

TCMfan25

Practically Family
1932 Duesenberg Model SJ Convertable! < My Dream Car.
1932%20Duesenberg%20Model%20SJ%20Dual-Cowl%20Phaeton%20Blue%20fvr.jpg

1932 (my favorite year for cars) Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental < Second Dream Car.
search

1932 Ford V8 DeLuxe Phaeton < But I'll settle for this... :D
search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy