Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Holiday-Time Treats?

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I searched and... my apologies if I missed an existing thread!

I'm wondering what treats everyone else is looking forward to that you only have at this time of year.

I'm happy to see: Panetone at Costco! Tim Tams at Target! Tins of Cadbury's biscuits (yeah...all of these are once-a-year finds/treats, at least here in Texas). And of course, eggnog with my once-a-year Costco-sized Maker's Mark :)

These are kind of vintage, I suppose. There are always those tins of hard candies that my 82-year-old mom is always looking for this time of year. What do you guys and gals know and love that I need to seek out?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Panettone is required for Christmas morning, and enjoyed for a while afterwards on account of buying it on sale the next week.
In a similar vein, pizzelle. We have an electric pizzelle iron that we got a few years back. It is older than the one we had before, which could be reversed to make waffles, and it is absolutely fantastic. They come out crisp and wafer thin every time.
And what we just call italian cookies (my grandmother just calls them cookies, as they were the main type her mother made). I don't know the real name. They are the little white ones with frosting. We make them either lemon, vanilla, or sometimes anise.

In a less Italian twist... Pecan Tassies, and Peanut Butter Blossoms. Actually, Ginger Snaps too... forget about it. I just want some cookies.

I also always associate Christmas with citrus fruits, as I always got clementines in my stocking.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Fruitcake and homemade vegan eggnog. Both equally boozy! Also, marzipan-rich stollen.

What is in vegan eggnog? I have trouble imagining a beverage based on eggs and milk becoming vegan easily. I don't doubt that it is good though.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

We made Greek wedding cookies (KOURABIEDES), but our recipe calls for dropping bourbon on them when they're done. It helps keep the powdered sugar in place (among other things).

My wife's family always makes some slow cooked meat (beef and pork), but the don't use ANY SPICES, onions, peppers, mushrooms, or anything to add flavor. Not understand??

Later

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
What about things in the stores that only make an appearance come holiday time? (yeah... I'm kinda looking for gift basket ideas, too!)

As far as what I *make* only this time of year, pumpkin pie (it's just wrong to have it any other time, no matter how much I love it!), and latkes with applesauce and sour cream. nom nom nom :)

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
What is in vegan eggnog? I have trouble imagining a beverage based on eggs and milk becoming vegan easily. I don't doubt that it is good though.

There's actually a commercially available vegan eggnog that I know you can get Stateside that I think comes out only during the holidays brand name Silk, which we don't get.

The recipe I've been using is this (tofu-phobes avert your eyes!):

10.5 oz. firm silken tofu
1c. soya milk
1/6c. light brown sugar, or to taste
1/8t. salt
1/2c. each of cold water and rum or brandy (I'm generally teetotal, and this is pretty alcoholic for my taste!)
2 1/4t. real vanilla extract
nutmeg to taste

Blend all in blender until creamy. Yum. Now if only I could find vegan angel food cake...!

CharlieB

A-List Customer
My mother made these great brown sugar based ice-box cookies (kinda of caramelly). Since she passed in 2006, I have pined for them and last year my wife finally made them for me!

It just did not seem like Christmas without them.

beth

Familiar Face
Cranberry Salad. I've wondered how cranberries, pineapple, cool whip and marshmallows could taste that good together. But the fact almost all of it consists of sugar might have something to do with it.

HepKitty

One Too Many
My mother made these great brown sugar based ice-box cookies (kinda of caramelly). Since she passed in 2006, I have pined for them and last year my wife finally made them for me!

It just did not seem like Christmas without them.

ooh they sound good. Would you kindly share the recipe please?

Every year at Xmas I make red wine cake and Baseler Herzen (Swiss-German Christmas cookies), I think I posted both in the favorite recipes thread. Can't remember for sure though. I know I posted them somewhere around here.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Roast pumpkin soup, red onion marmalade, chutney, mincemeat, candied peel dipped in dark choc, sloe gin, mulled wine, salami, smoked garlic in anything...

I think it's lunchtime!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Pfeffernusse cookies and stollen.
I used to have a great recipe for plum pudding that I would make every year. Great effort put into it, only to have people go YUCK without ever even trying it. I got it off a Christmas card! And I lost it somehow along the way in a move. The thing that was different was that you separated the eggs, and whipped the whites up very stiff, and then folded them in. Made the pudding much lighter.
I personally love plum pudding, but Americans almost universally react to it likes it's . . . uhhh errr. . . I'd better not say. People, you don't know what you're missing.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
My mom always makes rum balls, sausage balls, and pecan divinity-- those are my favourite homemades. As for store bought, right about now is when the local World Market starts stocking Turron de Jijona (soft almond nougat). I should run out today and get some...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran