Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite of all time and why

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
All time favorite. If you can decide on one film, and one film only, which is it? Of any decade. And more importantly, why does this particular film appeal to you so much? Heres mine:

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai

I first saw this film in high school after reading about it in a book owned by my father, 'The 100 greatest films of All Time', can't recall the author. I had heard the name Kurosawa when I was younger. My parents were very into foreign films and I remember my mother making me watch a film called 'Ran'. I didnt think much of it at the time, all I really remember was the incredibly bloody battle at the castle. Anyway, at the local library I found a 2 VHS copy of Seven Samurai and decided to rent it. I was hooked instantly.

Why? So many reasons. Toshiro Mifune. His performance here was his personal best, as far as I'm concerned. And his charachter, Kikyuchio, is considered by many to be one of the all time great charachters, ever! Literary or cinematically. And I agree wholeheartedly. His performance in one scene alone is worth the price of the DVD. He has discovered the villagers have been hoarding weaponry stolen from dead or escaping samurai. Pleased with himself, he brings his bounty to the other 6, expecting praise. They are disgusted. One says, "I'd like to kill every farmer in this village." Unable to control himself any longer, Kikyuchio launches into a bitter tirade, directed right at us the entire time. His anger and frustration are palpable as he throws arrows across the room, storms two and fro, and points right into the lense. I wont go line for line, you need to see it yourself. In the end, the other samurai realize the truth, Kikyuchio is only posing as a samurai, he is a farmers son. He hates the farmers for their weakness, but he hates the samurai even more for their cruelty. He hates himself. Brilliant.

The camera work. Good camera work is invisible. Kurosawa's work here is a tour de force.This, is a 'motion' picture. Every element in the image is controlled and framed perfectly by Kurosawa. His use of the 4x3 frame rivals the huge 16x9 widescreen 'epics' of today.

I grew up on the 'action/adventure' film. (In a close tie with Seven Samurai), Raiders of the Lost Ark, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Mysterious Island, Tarzan, To hell and Back, The Searchers, Shane, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Train, King Kong, The Thing from Another World, Lawrence of Arabia(comes close), Ben Hur, Braveheart, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, the list goes on and on. Seven Samurai tops them all with ease. In every category. Story, direction, performance, editing, lighting, everything. (It suffers sound wise but I find that doesnt matter much. Turn sound and subtitles off and you can still tell exactly what is going on. The hallmark of a great film.)

I have tried over the years to turn other people on to Seven Samurai, usually to no avail. Its not an easy sell. "Hey, you should watch this 3 1/2 hour long black and white Japanese film from the 50's, it's in subtitles too!!" Watch them frown like you offered them some undercooked pork. That is sad. They really dont know what they're missing. It's the stigma of a 'foreign film' you often run into. Seven Samurai is the most watchable and enyoyable 'foreign' films I've ever seen.

The thoughts, emotions, actions and reactions of the charachters are so universal, it makes the adventure all the more thrilling.

This is one of those films that, after a while, begins to feel like 'yours'. I feel that way about very few films. Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Night at the Opera, and Seven Samurai.

Whew! I could go on for ever, but lets hear about your favorite.

Salv

One Too Many
Seven Samurai is my favourite too, good call. There's not much I can add to your posts, but the love interest - the beautiful girl having her hair cut off then hiding so as not to tempt a samurai, but the young samurai seeing her and being smitten anyway - is very well played. I also love the character of the self-effacing master swordsman who disappears towards the bandit camp and comes back hours later with a stolen rifle, then shrugs it off and tries to get some sleep.

And yes, the action scenes! The bandits horses pounding through the village, while the villagers chase after them with bamboo spears, pitchforks and rice flails. The flashing sword blades catching the light. And the utter chaos of the final battle is fantastically well shot.

On a different note entirely, my next favourite film is Kathryn Bigelows first feature, and the film that gave Willem Dafoe his first leading role: The Loveless. Released to universal indifference in 1982 this biker-flick homage also starred neo-rockabilly musician Robert Gordon and a cast of first time actors and unknowns. In the DVD commentary Bigelow notes that the film was put on a double bill in an arthouse cinema in London with Mad Max (I think...although it may have been Eraserhead - I'll have to listen to the commentary again) that played for months and won it a strong cult following. I saw it during the first few weeks of its inital release, sitting through two showings the first time, then dragging my girlfriend to the cinema the following week to see it again, and dragging a friend along the week after. It had a huge influence on Londons rockabilly revivalists in the 80's (and is mentioned as a favourite of Brit photographer Nick Clements in an essay about a new subculture known as Dad's Style in his new book of photos Simulacra which painstakingly recreates various 1950's/60's subcultures.)

Anyway, The Loveless deals with a group of bikers in 1958 who are heading down to Daytona for the races. They are coming from various different Northern US cities and are supposed to meet up at a diner on Highway 17 in Georgia. Dafoe plays Vance who arrives first, and immediately the locals are polarised by his presence. The young widowed waitress who serves him is fascinated by his rebel image, while the older waitress doesn't want him in her diner and the cook wonders what the fuss is all about. Vances buddies slowly arrive and one of them has a broken bike which needs repairing, so they find a local garage owner who will let them use his workshop and tools while they fix it up. And that's about it for plot. What makes it so memorable and enjoyable are the performances - Robert Gordon is a sociopath who appears to hate everybody, Dafoe is the essence of unruffled cool, Tarver (the local boss figure) is a sneering, sweaty bully who drove his wife to suicide and is sleeping with his teenaged daughter; the languid, unhurried air of the film; and the reactions of the locals. You can feel the Georgia summer heat, and can feel the pointless anger and distrust of the locals, and can feel the boredom of the bikers as they wait for the bike to be fixed. There are long, fetishistic closeups of tattoos, belt buckles, gleaming chrome and leather - the gay subtext went completely over my head when I first saw it - and, at least in the original version that I saw, long periods of silence to accentuate the boredom of sitting in a diner waiting for your buddies to arrive. The DVD release has a very intrusive soundtrack that wasn't there in 1982.

It's a beautful looking film, with rich colours, grubby buildings and a perfect feel for the period. Not to everyone's taste, but I love it.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Interesting, never even heard of that one!

And you reminded me...

Mad Max and The Road Warrior, two more of the movies I grew up with. How could I forget those? Oh, and Zulu.

Salv

One Too Many
StraightRazor said:
Interesting, never even heard of that one!

It's obscure even for a cult movie. I first saw it mentioned in style magazine The Face just before it was released - I don't know how they picked up on it. A 50's retro-chic movie at a time when I was buying up all the 50's vintage clothing I could afford - I had to see that! I don't think it was ever shown in any other UK cities, only London, so I was just in the right place at the right time to catch it. It's available on DVD if you want to take a chance - Amazon have it for $17.99 or they have used and new copies from $11.61 - I got mine from caiman_com (who have cheap shipping to the UK as well) on the used and new page.

This is Amazons review:

From the director of NEAR DARK and the producer of WILD AT HEART - First time ever on DVD!
Willem Dafoe made his unforgettable movie debut as the leader of a ?¢‚ǨÀú50s biker gang lost in a world of black leather, bad girls and sudden violence in the independent hit that marked the emergence of one of modern cinema?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s most important woman directors. Rockabilly icon Robert Gordon co-stars in this evocative drama co-written and co-directed by Kathryn Bigelow (NEAR DARK and POINT BREAK) and Monty Montgomery (producer of WILD AT HEART and TWIN PEAKS) with a too-cool soundtrack featuring original music by Robert Gordon and John Lurie. Hailed as ?¢‚ǨÀúthe thinking man?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s biker movie,?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ THE LOVELESS now features a stunning new transfer from original negative materials and an exclusive audio commentary with Bigelow, Montgomery and Willem Dafoe.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
StraightRazor said:
C'mon, people! Everyone has a favorite movie, lets hear 'em.

Not sure about having a single favourite, it depends on my mood. The best I can normally manage is a top ten list, which would take up far too much space here.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Not everyone has a favorite!

I've been a film buff/collector/scholar for over 40 years, and I long since gave up on trying to even come up with a top-ten list. I could probably come up with a dozen favorites in any given genre, but even narrowing it down by decade (as in the 70s films thread) is beyond me.

Also, I have never really understood the attraction of declaring something - anything - your "favorite". There is so much art, history, places, experience, etc., to consume and enjoy, why does everything have to be given an ultimate preference? There is some kind of mania to declaring favorites and making lists in our culture that just baffles me... I find it especially annoying from the very young, who are so sure of themselves, when in fact they likely haven't yet seen representative slices of entire genres and styles! (Understand that I am also totally disinterested in other things - like sports - for the same reasons: who cares who won what or which record was broken? Life is about shades of gray, not absolutes.)

Of course, I can't argue with a choice like The Seven Samurai - a wonderful and very influential film. So don't mind me... I just wanted to explain my absence from this thread, as I typically tend to post at length on film subjects.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
I hear you loud and clear. It was terribly difficult to pick one film out of the several hundred that I truly love, to call my favorite. Like picking your favorite child. I guess I just find that of all the movies I really love, Seven Samurai encompasses everything that I find necessary and wonderful about films in general.

I find it especially annoying from the very young, who are so sure of themselves, when in fact they likely haven't yet seen representative slices of entire genres and styles!

By the way, how young do you think I am? :) You seem to assume I'm some know-nothing kid who just breezed in off the street. I'm sure you are probably older than I am, but dont blame me!

The real reason I posted this thread was because I thought it sounded like more fun than simply bashing away at known flops or dissapointments, which is relatively easy. I think it takes more effort to choose a good/favorite film, and then explain why you feel that way.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Also, I have never really understood the attraction of declaring something - anything - your "favorite". There is so much art, history, places, experience, etc., to consume and enjoy, why does everything have to be given an ultimate preference? There is some kind of mania to declaring favorites and making lists in our culture that just baffles me... I find it especially annoying from the very young, who are so sure of themselves, when in fact they likely haven't yet seen representative slices of entire genres and styles! (Understand that I am also totally disinterested in other things - like sports - for the same reasons: who cares who won what or which record was broken? Life is about shades of gray, not absolutes.)
While I agree with a good deal of what you are saying (regarding shades of gray), I think that perhaps you are being a bit cantankerous here, basically pulling rank, complaing, and generally putting people down. These threads are in the name of good fun. A lot of us are film buffs, collectors, etc. Some for over 40 years, some for less than 5. Our age or experience really makes no difference as a newcomer's fresh opinion is often as valuable as an expert's seasoned thoughts (experts tend to solidify their theories over time, hindering their ability to see things from new angles). When I particpate in the "favorite" -type threads I consider it a reflection of where my tastes lay at that particular moment, the next day my choice might be different (or not). It's fun to think about. Are these lists time-wasting escapism? Probably. But what movie-buff can scoff at time-wasting escapism? Occasionally I find a gem in these threads, perhaps a movie I'd never heard of and come to love, or a mention of a long-forgotten film I enjoyed as a kid, jarring precious few good memories loose.
Regarding sports, it's the stories behind HOW the records were broken or HOW who won whatever which inspires the interest more than the actual results. Ken Burns illustrated this beautifully.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't trying to pull rank, or suggest that a younger person's ideas weren't equally valid. I just wanted to say that regarding lists and favorites, I take the Bartleby: I prefer not to.

In fact, it's great fun to see what films people mention on these list and favorite threads. Keep it going!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
It's impossible to pick a favourite, but if I had to choose only one movie to watch whenever and however often I pleased, it would be Chinatown.

My favourite cannibal movie is Cannibal Holocaust!! :hamburger

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a favorite movie, but love a goodly number of them. However, one film grabs me more than others, because of the topic and the beauty of the filming and the interactions of the characters -- and that is Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

Watching Death play chess with the Knight, the pentinents wandering through the countryside, discerning the spiritual depth, or lack of it, among those fleeing the plague, the final scene of death leading those who did not escape over the hills, a movie of visual beauty and, if not my favorite, certainly one of the top films I enjoy.

I watch it every few years, which is as much as I can ever watch anything.

karol

WEEGEE

Practically Family
WINGS OF DESIRE

Director:
Wim Wenders

The sky over Wenders' war-scarred Berlin is full of gentle, trenchcoated angels who listen to the tortured thoughts of mortals and try to comfort them. One, Damiel (Bruno Ganz), wishes to become mortal after falling in love with a beautiful trapeze artist, Marion (Solveig Dommartin). Peter Falk, as himself, assists in the transformation by explaining the simple joys of a human experience, such as the sublime combination of coffee and cigarettes.

Told from the angel's point of view, the film is shot in black and white, blossoming into color only when the angels perceive the realities of humankind. Ultimately, Damiel determines that he must experience humanity in full, and breaks through in to the real world to pursue a life with Marion.

A hard question ...though this one holds an idea i believe and embrace

life is sad and beautiful...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Casablanca

Because I've seen it 100 times, and I still get goosebumps when they sing La Marseilles and Wacht Am Rhein. They start when Henreid says "play it!"

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
WEEGEE said:
WINGS OF DESIRE

Wings of Desire is a really great film. Angels and circuses and Peter Falk and hats and coffee and cinematography by Henri Alekan (who used his grandmothers old silk stocking as a filter during shooting [huh] ) and Nick Cave too - perfroming Deanna.

It's a wow.

You might want to check these out, if you haven't already found them:

http://www.wim-wenders.com/news_reel/2001/0107_henri_alekan.htm

http://www.wim-wenders.com/movies/movies_spec/wingsofdesire/wingsofdesire.htm

And if anybody hasn't seen this film yet, you should give it a whirl. It's available on dvd, and at a very nice price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails