Favorite zipper pull (replacement)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by STW, Jul 30, 2009.

1. STW

STW Familiar Face

Hoping the FL experts know of a way to replace a paperclip style zipper pull with something else. I have never liked yanking on the paperclip pulls and also don't like leather pulls hanging from them. What I like are vintage style bell shaped or circular cut out metal pulls. The pulls I'd like to replace are on MC jackets with new production chunky Talon brass zippers that work great, except for the paperclip. Since these MC jackets are not vintage or historical repros, there is no need to get a certain zip or pull, or pull type.

Most of the zipper pulls I've seen for sale on the interenet are meant to be added to a standard pull and they are bright or big or goofy. Is there a place to buy a replacement vintage style pull?

It's easy to see how to remove a paperclip pull, but I'm not sure how or if a regular bell shaped pull could be installed in the hole left (?)

Another zipper pull I'd be interested in is the hanging kind you see on some vintage MC jacket pockets that have a small ball shape hanging from a few links of flexible chain.

2. gfirob

gfirob Familiar Face

zipper pull replacement

I had the zipper pull come off of the pocket zipper on an Aero 30's halfbelt. Aero wouldn't send me a replacement pull. They told me to ship the jacket back to Scotland and they would replace the whole zipper for $60.00 plus shipping from the States. That's about $100 altogether and there is nothing wrong with the zipper itself.

Seems a little steep for a small chain and ball. Anyone have an alternative suggestion?
    Thanks

3. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

Now THAT is totally ridiculous!

...and wait 12 weeks, too?

B
    T

Fonzie likes this.
  4. john z

john z Guest

If it's a ball chain puller I'm sure the components are available here:
    http://www.ballchain.com/

5. gfirob

gfirob Familiar Face

Chain pull

Actually, its not a ball chain, its something fabricated for the zipper. I noticed the sleeve zippers I had put on another Aero jacket have nice leather tabs on them. Maybe I'll try that. But I'd rather get an original part. Anybody know who makes the pocket zippers on Aero jackets?
    Thanks

6. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

anyone know who makes the Talon ball chain zippers these days?

7. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

[​IMG] check out this guy. From Waldes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handymike likes this.
  8. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

Carlos840, navetsea, Boyo and 2 others like this.
  9. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Now I've received this beautiful pull, I couldn't find an appropriate jacket/zipper to put it on..... Well, there are technical challenges. One, the aperture of the mouth of the C clamp only opens so wide that it won't bite onto just any slider. You need number 5, or any slide that has a narrow ridge/spine, two, you do have to destroy the original pull. The brass single ball-chain pull that Aero uses, for example, has a size 8 slide, I think, and the brass chain is linked to the spine via a fully enclosed ring, so you'll have to cringe and cut that ring for good. Even so, you won't be able to clamp the C onto the slider...So. I guess I'll have to apply the Waldes ball chain to some new 5 slider from scratch.

roadking04 likes this.
  10. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Reg, can’t you re-use the #8ring from the aero chain on the Waldes . It might be a bit thicker but maybe not noticeable.
    Carefully cut it , pull open just enough to remove and replace and crimp it down again..

I’m curious because I’m thinking of changing the pull on my 30’s half belt to the Waldes

11. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Boyo the #8 ring on these single ball chain zippers doesn’t seem to have an opening. The 8 shaped anchor ring is fused at all ends.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  12. JacketAddict

JacketAddict One of the Regulars

Here's a bunch I have laying around - the ball and chain (not my wife) are somewhat fragile but may serve your purpose - if you want to try a couple let me know and I'll send them to you. Also - others shown - unicorns, salmon, cross, wrench, OM, square w/chain, circle with chain. On my jackets I usually use a strip of leather - longish so that I can zip up or down while riding without getting into a head-on collision.
    IMG_20191220_144828.jpg
    IMG_20191220_144828.jpg
    IMG_20191220_144820.jpg
    IMG_20191220_144235.jpg

Attached Files:

Boyo likes this.
  13. Dumpster Diver

Dumpster Diver Practically Family

I'd say you have to get creative to make it fit, a paper clip or some wire to attach the pull to the slider might do it if you're handy with the needle nose pliers. I don't know. I'd have to see photos to say how the operation should be performed.

14. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

why not just add small spiral spring ring

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  15. Dumpster Diver

Dumpster Diver Practically Family

I've done all sorts of things, sometimes the Actual Pull breaks right off, and that...I'm not sure how to fix other than replace the whole Zip.