Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy repro zips and bettr looking YKK pulls

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I will start this off with YKK, if you have a jacket that has had the zip replaced or came with an ugly looking pull they do some nicer looking ones.
Changing a pull is very simple and easy to do. If you can't find anyone selling the sliders on their own it is still can be cost effective to buy a complete zip just for the pull YKK are very cheap.

https://www.ykkfastening.com/products/zipper/slider/zipper_type/

One I changed.
IMG_4008.jpeg

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
The cheap Chinese made talons you see on ebay, be aware the brass ones are just thin gold plate on silver you can see the photo of one I filed down, they do copies of ideal and waldes as well so be wary of what you buy.
IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

Last edited:

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
Thank you to Canuck Panda for this link to a shop in Japan, I spent days trying to find zip links and I never found this shop.

"I finally found a place that will do custom Waldes for retail customers (all types of Talons, Crown, Conmar...etc)"

If you were thinking of just buying a puller from them Canuck told me this.
"The Waldes pulls might not work on the YKK tracks. I got some Japanese jackets with them Waldes main zips and I cannot zip them with up with the Universal/YKK from Aero."

https://phoenix-shop.jp/products/detail/141506969

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
This shop in Japan for YKK universal known in Japan as old american aslo some talon.

https://leathercrafttools.com/craft-material/Zipper/list/

The 5# zips are closed not open so
only of any use if just want to order the cheapest one to get the puller.
I have tested on regular YKK zip and they work okay.
3# closed zips for pockets and sleeves.
The shortest 5# I got just to take the head off is 30cm and is $8.55 and I tested that on a regular YKK tape and it works fine.
I bought some zips for sleeves and pockets and a 14cm was $2.73
They respond very quickly to queries and the shipping is dirt cheap as they will send by small parcel post and they reply in english. Postage for 5 zips to Australia was only USD$5

One thing to be aware if you won't to be able to see the universal logo which is only on the top of the pull and this does not apply to the 5# long zip head the logo will be the right side up and a regular non locking pull tab.

The 3# it's made to pull down from the top so if you used it a in pocket that way you will see the logo, if you use it in a sleeve which opens from the bottom you will be seeing the back of the pull.
IMG_4004.jpeg

On a sleeve it would look like this

IMG_4005.jpeg

The 3# in this style has a locking pull tab so it can be either be locked up or down, up you see the logo down you don't. The pic is the way it would look on a sleeve locked up or on a pocket zipping down from the top.
IMG_4006.jpeg

Locked down
IMG_4007.jpeg
Locked down

Last edited:

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I will be updating when I find out from aero if they will sell zips and if you ever see zips that are to long shortening open ended and closed zips is easy if even a person like me can do it.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I spoke with the Denny manager at aero, they will sell you a replacement zip if you have an aero. He was understanding of the fact that some people may lack the funds to able to send them a jacket them a jacket for repair. Denny asks that you send pictures of the jacket and of the zip issue to find a solution.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
Contacted Eastman, they may do the same as aero on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances, also was understanding of the fact that some people may lack the funds to able to send them a jacket them a jacket for repair.

Mich486

One Too Many
Does anybody know where to purchase a zipper pull like this:

IMG_1049.jpeg

I can’t find it anywhere. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner