Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora hats are rarely sexy - or so does she think...

Bebop

Practically Family
Other than movie stars trying to maintain their facade of sexy, what fully matured man dresses to look sexy? Don't most of us just go about our daily lives without thinking, "does this hat make me look sexy?" Doesn't that sound like something women are more likely to ask? Or better yet, I've heard that line in the gay community too many times. I'm not hip at the idea of wondering if I look sexy. That's not something I care about.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Other than movie stars trying to maintain their facade of sexy, what fully matured man dresses to look sexy? Don't most of us just go about our daily lives without thinking, "does this hat make me look sexy?" Doesn't that sound like something women are more likely to ask? Or better yet, I've heard that line in the gay community too many times. I'm not hip at the idea of wondering if I look sexy. That's not something I care about.
As suggested above, Ms. Snow was beating around the bush. What she probably meant is that, to her, a fedora wearer does not make her feel sexy, because he does not conform to current icons of manliness.

Bebop

Practically Family
As suggested above, Ms. Snow was beating around the bush. What she probably meant is that, to her, a fedora wearer does not make her feel sexy, because he does not conform to current icons of manliness.

You are correct. She probably meant that. I suppose it's a valid personal opinion. I, of course, took it personally. "What do you mean I'm not sexy!" :mad:

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Well I used to dress for others. I'd frequently check fashion magazines and whatnot. Then the obvious hit me: women have individual tastes, and it's absurd to attempt to cater to all of them; I found this to be the better policy because it attracted the kind of women I liked (women who can enjoy older music, film, lingo, ect.). When it comes down to it, what matters most is confidence in how you dress. If you feel awkward wearing a fedora, you're going to look awkward.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
The author's primary problem is that she regards the goal as being sexy. Now, if that is your criteria for choosing a hat then her comments may be worthwhile (and you need new criteria, by the way).

Another By The Way, I remember reading this ages ago and thinking, "So many of these men look perfectly fine in their hats." Sure, not "Isabella wants to throw her clothes off and have illicit relations" type fine, but one wonders at the mentality of someone who wears their hats for that purpose. And at the mental stability of a woman or man who regards sexiness as the reason to don or doff hats. (Using "sexiness" as my guide, I would wear absolutely nothing at all times because my wife says that I am sexiest in the nude. For the sanity of others, I do not do this.)

Packin' Heat said:
When it comes down to it, what matters most is confidence in how you dress. If you feel awkward wearing a fedora, you're going to look awkward.

Confidence is helpful, but only when blended with common sense in equal measure. Many things will look awkward no matter how confident we may become.

Last edited:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
What she doesn't understand is that while certain (most) men in hats don't look sexy, they would look even less doable without the hats.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
What she doesn't understand is that while certain (most) men in hats don't look sexy, they would look even less doable without the hats.

Ah yes, this is what she is truly missing!

Packin' Heat said:
Aye, but nothing looks right if you feel weird in it.

Aye, but nothing looks right if you ignored common sense to begin with. In reality, neither one of us is saying anything exclusive. We should strike the "but"s from our statements, both remain points of utter validity no matter which way we slice it or which we choose to emphasize (for whatever reasons).

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Women typically dress to attract and impress.

Men typically dress to be seen as men - as defined by their time, place and status.

Once men break that paradigm, they invites questions from other men, and many women, too.

Indeed. The article says far more about its' author than about men in hats. She & some others are, at some level, to some degree, threatened by such a sight. I for one am sick of catering to the neuroses of others. My own are work enough!

rue

Personally I think she's an idiot. In my opinion, any woman that doesn't like a man in a fedora does not have taste. In fact I've been reading your posts trying to figure out the best purchase for my husband's first fedora.

Sorry to interrupt the boys room.... ;)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Welcome, rue! I imagine you would get a ton of suggestions for a fedora for your husband if you started a thread. Give us a few details like what in general you're looking for, price range, etc. The boys here will be most helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points