Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras back in, says the AARP

docneg

One of the Regulars
The current issue of the magazine for the American Association of Retired Persons has a feature called "Time Out" that bears the headline "They're Back (the 1930s, That Is)". Comparing two columns of "Then" and "Now", they have categories of feel-good movie, frugal transportation, career downsizing, etc. One category is "Hip Headwear". In the "then" column is "fedora". In the "now" column is..."fedora". The only item to appear in both columns.

Have faith, fellow loungers! We are hip once again.

awest84532

Familiar Face
I am finally hip...

and all it took was for me to sign up for AARP, buy a couple fedoras, and join the Fedora Lounge. I have arrived!!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I listen to 'em for advice on how to treat disease, and how to dress. :p
Cocoon6.jpg

diabeetus.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
I'll have to get my wife's copy. She's a cradle robber, you know! ;) :D
HA HA HA!!! :D
If I had read about that column being in any other magazine I would probably feel better than I do right now. I just turned 52 on April 02...the AARP mail offers seem to arrive more frequently.

My first magazine sub was "Boy's Life"...as my cardiologist told me when I was in the hospital for congestive heart failure, "the clock is ticking and running a bit faster as you get older" (took me awhile to figure out that was his way of saying "time goes faster as you get older"...guess he went to med school for that wisdom).

But anyway, that article is for the shy ones. We don't need a magazine to tell us we're the coolest cats in the sandbox :)
Yet, still cool to know...thanks Docneg for posting.

hatflick1

Practically Family
AARP has also featured a TV commercial wherein a hatter is molding a fedora
and talks about the custom hat making business.
For the record, I am AARP age, a Boomer, and have yet to surrender to sans-a-belt slacks. My 501's fit just fine.

MCrider

A-List Customer
hatflick1 said:
AARP has also featured a TV commercial wherein a hatter is molding a fedora
and talks about the custom hat making business.
For the record, I am AARP age, a Boomer, and have yet to surrender to sans-a-belt slacks. My 501's fit just fine.

Now I'm not quite at the AARP age yet hatflick1, but I have instructed my wife that if I give up wearing jeans for polyester pants, she can either put me out of my misery or have me committed - her choice.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
docneg said:
The current issue of the magazine for the American Association of Retired Persons has a feature called "Time Out" that bears the headline "They're Back (the 1930s, That Is)". Comparing two columns of "Then" and "Now", they have categories of feel-good movie, frugal transportation, career downsizing, etc. One category is "Hip Headwear". In the "then" column is "fedora". In the "now" column is..."fedora". The only item to appear in both columns.

Have faith, fellow loungers! We are hip once again.

Every time my AARP invite arrives, I throw it in the trash. Am I in denial?

I have a buddy who work(ed) in a high-end clothing store, who tells me that fedoras are for people over 70. The other day he borrowed a Borsalino from me for an interview, and after all the compliments he received he wants to acquire it from me. He is now 'one of us' :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner