Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fictional characters defined by their hats

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
elmer-fudd.gif

sam1224081418.gif

boris_and_natasha_11221248631.jpg

Silke

New in Town
Freddy Krüeger - Not sure you could say his hat defines him though, a fedora wearer nonetheless.
Robin Hood - Although not wearing his hat in all incarnations, I'd say that green little hat he used to wear is rather defining.
Doctor Who(as portrayed by Tom Baker) - Semi-defining, his massive scarves more so maybe though.

Well damn, I see Robin Hood had already been mentioned. Worth mentioning again either way since it was him that got me interested in different head wear to begin with at the age of 5, although it would take me a few years from that point to realize how interested.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Alex Oviatt said:
There are counless instances in literature where caracters are closely associated with their headwear (think Sherlock Holmes, for example) but this struck me forcibly when I recently reread one of my favorite books, Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. In the first few pages, key characters--including Satan--are all charcterized through their choices of headwear:

Thomas Mann, in Doctor Faustus, intruduces Mephistopheles as quoted below. As you can see, the gentleman in question is not defined by his hat alone. But it's early and concise mention (along with the rest of his apparel) does convey a very strong impression.

"A sports cap over one ear, on the other side reddish hair standing up from the temple; reddish lashes and pink eyes, a cheezy face, a drooping nose with wry tip. Over diagonal-striped tricot shirt a chequer jacket; sleeves too short, with sausage-fingers coming too far out; breeches indecently tight, worn-down yellow shoes. An ugly customer, a bully, a strizzi, a rough. And with an actor's voice and eloquence."

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The bowler hat becomes almost a character unto itself in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Karyl

New in Town
Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas
Raoul Duke - Johnny Depp

Four Rooms:
Ted - Tim Roth

Pirates Of The Caribbean
Captain Jack Sparrow - Johnny Depp

Snatch
Mickey O’Neil - Brad Pitt

Dead Man
William Blake - Johnny Depp

Secret Window
Mort Rainey - Johnny Depp

RocknRolla
Roman - Jeremy Piven

Last Man Standing
John Smith - Bruce Willis

Once Upon A Time In America
David „Noodles“ Aaronson - Robert De Niro
Maximilian „Max“ Bercowicz - James Woods

Donnie Brasco
Benjamin „Lefty“ Ruggiero - Al Pacino

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Colonel Bat Guano - Keenan Wynn

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Silke said:
Doctor Who(as portrayed by Tom Baker) - Semi-defining, his massive scarves more so maybe though.

I diagree, The Doctor has always worn hats....

William Hartnell
WH-1.jpg

Patrick Troughton
PT-1.jpg

Jon Pertwee
JP-1.jpg

Jon Pertwee...again
JP-2.jpg

Tom Baker
TB-1.jpg

Tom Baker...again
TB-3.jpg

Peter Davison
PD-1.jpg

Sylvester McCoy
SM-1.jpg

and even the dear departed David Tennant
DT-1.jpg

Seven out of Ten Doctors recommend hats for protection against the elements of space and time lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto