Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally ordered IR's

sal

One of the Regulars
Well after much research and trying things on, oh and saving, I ordered new Iron Rangers today. To be a little snug I had to order a full size smaller. If they stretch a little bit I think they will be super comfy. A half size smaller than normal and there was to much heel play and felt loose across the ball of my foot.
I don't even have them yet and I already question the cost ;)
Not remorse but I always get this way when things are expensive.
Now the waiting begins

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Red Wings usually run a size large. They can be tough to break in, but afterwards they are very comfy and they can take a beating.

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Sal, I got my Iron Rangers last week and absolutely love them. I went a half size down and they are perfect. The break in time was minimal and I see them getting better over time.

My biggest issue with them is forcing myself not to wear them every day. ;)

Btw, IR guys out there. I haven't put anything on them yet. What is the consensus...oil them or not? I have the RW mink oil, but it has silicon and I know that receives some negative comments. I also have Huberd's shoe grease which I really like. I know there is quite a bit of love for Pecards.

To oil or not to oil..that is the question.

Dave

JanSolo

Practically Family
I wouldn't oil them for at least a year as the leather is already mineral tanned and heavily stuffed und cured. If you put on boot oil the leather will become greasy and definitely stain the hem of your pants. After all it's an oil-pull leather...
When you take a brand new pair out of the box you'll know what I mean. They already feel heavily waxed and conditioned
What you could do though is put some oil, cream or conditioner on the welt and the stitching and work it in with an old toothbrush. Then give the whole boot an even finish with your hairdryer on hot.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I am thinking about buying a black pair as well. Where are you guys buying yours? I am looking to get the best price possible - hopefully close to $200 (dreaming, I know).
I just missed a brand new pair on eBay for $211with free shipping . I hesitated and the next day they were gone. Best price I am seeing in my size is $240.

Red Wings' heritage boots are quite nice, but around the $300 price point, I start thinking I could get a pair of White's for about $80 more. By the way, not all Red Wings run a size large. I know the Engineer boots run true to size - my local Red Wing Store has a pair of 2971's that I keep threatening to buy. The Iron Rangers and the Beckman are built on the same last, so they will both fit the same - one size larger than marked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner