Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally picked up Schott Cafecto 603! Do I cut off the epaulets?

should I remove em?

• snip snip

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • leave them alone

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
Downsized a lot and finally picked up Schott Cafecto 603! This is my 1st brand new Schott. I am 2nd owner of my 519.

Thoughts on the look of cutting off Epaulets?

source: https://www.instagram.com/willhalbert

Screenshot_20240206_002211_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240206_002126_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240206_002016_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240206_001957_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240206_002046_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240206_002248_Instagram.jpg

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
My first thought is: It’s your jacket. Do whatever you want.

But personally, I HATE the look. I can’t stand the Fine Creek Leon Custom, which comes pre-cut. It looks mangled, and like a hack did it.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Personally I would wear it with the epaulettes, especially since it has the stars on them as well.

But at the end of the day, it is your jacket so do as you please. Keep in mind though that if you change your mind it will be more difficult to sell it.

AHP91

Practically Family
I kind of like it with epaulettes. Of course it's your jacket, but it might not one day be your jacket anymore if you decide to sell it. Blows my mind how many people hack off a piece of their jacket (not done by a professional, mind you) and then are surprised when it significantly hurts the value later on.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
since the collar is cafe racer, and the epaulette looks half shoulder, I dislike the epaulette on this jacket, it makes it look like 80s fashion jacket with epaulette on, so I vote for no epaulettes, either snip or surgically removed , the snap cap decoration looks nice so it's fine. if it would be my jcket will I cut my jacket, probably I won't since I don't have the heart for such modification, but I can say it looks nicer without epaulettes

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cutting off epaulettes is one of the most try-hard things in workwear culture. Just don't.

The buttons that guy added to cover up the orphaned epaulettes look even worse than the residual epaulettes. There's no fixing it.

If you want the cross-zip cafe racer look without them, just return and get a Lewis Monza or Langlitz Cascade or something.

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
Wow. I was just curious. The strong emotions are no joke. Love my cafacto the way it is. I was just curious on thoughts. Thanks everyone.

Ps, i usually stuff my thinner leather gloves thru one of the epaulets

Pyritez

New in Town
They actually have a practical use...i.e. to prevent shoulder belts from slipping.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Wow. I was just curious. The strong emotions are no joke. Love my cafacto the way it is. I was just curious on thoughts. Thanks everyone.

Ps, i usually stuff my thinner leather gloves thru one of the epaulets
The topic of another makers otr cut off epaulets has beaten the horse into hamburger. Hence the strong response.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Jacket mutilation is on the rise !! Glad you sought some opinions before the dismemberment ....Enjoy your Cafecto the way it was ment to be enjoyed !! Carry on .....

Edward

Bartender
The buttons that guy added to cover up the orphaned epaulettes look even worse than the residual epaulettes. There's no fixing it.

I prefer it over the 'exposed' nubs of the studs, though I would have thought the more 'authentic' approach would be to cut the top button out of the removed epaulette (it's not as if they can be used for anything else, right?) and then stick that on. This one looks like a better job of removal than some of the others I've seen, though.

If you want the cross-zip cafe racer look without them, just return and get a Lewis Monza or Langlitz Cascade or something.

I see OP has confirmed this was more a thought experiment than anything, but this would be my take on the question too.

Particularly with this Schott, it seems to me that the epaulettes are an integral part of the design. Taken them away, and you lose one of the visual signifiers of the Perfecto style that has been grafted on to this cafe racer design to create the 'Cafecto'. I can totally see it might not appeal to everyone, but to remove them seems to me to be missing the point of the design to some extent.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking, it is your jacket. I would not try to impose my opinion over others. However, I think the jacket looks great with the epaulets. If you ride, they can be a factor in keeping you alive in case of an accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner