Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Produced and/or purchased in 1969 with a cactus Perfecto label??
I understand that you CAN date Schotts by their labels. Gail Hawkins (RIP) on the Schott Forum used to be able to be pretty accurate on date via the labels. She was like the Schott Yoda!!!!

But to me, it seems that perhaps these are not absolutes because they seem to have used different labels at the same time or very close together. You have the Ribbon label, the Cactus, the Crest, the Bull, eventually the little Moto Guy in place of the Bull then they have those Cycle Rider jackets, also you get the various SCHOTT labels as they get into the late 70s and into the 80s. I used to think that was the definitive order of the age by label. But I am not so sure anymore. I have seen the Cactus, the Crest, and the Bull labels on jackets that appear to be very much the same era.

I don't know if they used multiple labels on the same jackets in the same year or production periods. Maybe the jacket models I have seen are just timeless and spanned multiple labels. But the Talon Long Pull main zipper on all of these jackets makes me think they were produced around the same time period. Anyone know more about the labels and how they relate to the age of these jackets????

Bluechel

Practically Family
Yes, there is a tremendously helpful chart in the archives that gives excellent dating info. This is a bull label with a yellow cactus which makes it late 60's-early 70's as claimed.
yellow.jpg

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-era-is-this-schott-label.104836/

jauregui

Familiar Face
The jacket is late sixties. The hide and style of the jacket are consistent with that period of their production. Alum zips were the style during that time.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yes, there is a tremendously helpful chart in the archives that gives excellent dating info. This is a bull label with a yellow cactus which makes it late 60's-early 70's as claimed. View attachment 540262

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-era-is-this-schott-label.104836/
I have seen this and it is a great tool. What is confusing is that they also use another Crest Label that is a non Perfecto label --- during I think the same period as the Cactus label.

1692134864682.png

I have a brown 654 with this label on it (tho mine is a size 48). Same main zipper as this Cactus one that spawned this sidebar. Maybe it's later 70s????

Bluechel

Practically Family
I have seen this and it is a great tool. What is confusing is that they also use another Crest Label that is a non Perfecto label --- during I think the same period as the Cactus label.

View attachment 540285

I have a brown 654 with this label on it (tho mine is a size 48). Same main zipper as this Cactus one that spawned this sidebar. Maybe it's later 70s????
No, I have one also, it’s the correct date, just simply not a Perfecto

Claybertrand

One Too Many
No, I have one also, it’s the correct date, just simply not a Perfecto
Not to hate on Schott, but to me, they didn't/don't market the brand effectively so as to separate the Perfecto in any discernable way beyond a non Perfecto. Like----its not a different level of quality or anything. Just some they slap a Perfecto label on and some a Schott label. I know the history of the name. It just seems they never used it on specific jackets to make it truly distinctive from the start. Rather it has always been sorta broadly used. It just seems that it would have been effective to sorta name a distinctive line after the Perfecto from the start.

To be fair, in the 1960s the Perfecto line stated “hand-cut”. I used to think Perfectos were only the black ones, but I recently saw a 659 in brown with a Perfecto label. So, I guess it’s all just more marketing jargon from Schott.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I wholeheartedly agree having had a few Perfectos and many non-Perfecto models. Give props to Schott for being the easiest ones to trade/sell/transact with….And I also think that everybody here knows that you can sell quite a few Schotts to go get something great like a Cal or an Aero, so they do serve their purpose, and they give lots of joy to lots of people either way.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
To be fair, in the 1960s the Perfecto line stated “hand-cut”. I used to think Perfectos were only the black ones, but I recently saw a 659 in brown with a Perfecto label. So, I guess it’s all just more marketing jargon from Schott.
Yeah agreed. Every time I thought I had the Perfecto figured out, I see something else with the label. Its cool..... the guy literally named the jacket after his favorite cigar (which I LOVE!!) Clearly marketing wasn't being strongly contemplated at that time beyond picking a catchy name. Most businesses don't start out knowing what they are gonna be decades later.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I wholeheartedly agree having had a few Perfectos and many non-Perfecto models. Give props to Schott for being the easiest ones to trade/sell/transact with….And I also think that everybody here knows that you can sell quite a few Schotts to go get something great like a Cal or an Aero, so they do serve their purpose, and they give lots of joy to lots of people either way.
Well said. Schott has its place. I have had and still have a few. Some I need to list for size reasons but a few I won't ever sell. I don't mean to be disrespecting Schott at all with my previous posts. I hope that I'm not giving off that vibe.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think so too. The very first label identified which include the word Perfecto are placed on all kind of jackets.
img_3_1692163391611.jpg
img_4_1692163403328.jpg
img_1_1692163375088.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou