Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Monitor

Monitor

marker2037 and Zoo like this.
  2. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead A-List Customer

thanks, Carlos. Really helpful. So funny about Schott, now that you say that, it's true, they do tend to fit short and wide. I have a love hate relationship with my 141, somedays I'm like yeah, this jacket is fire. Love how the leather feels. But the sides are a mess with the biswing, gussets, straps.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to get an Aero D1 or B6 which have more of a fitted look over the B3. I did find an old Schott B3 from Japan going for like $275. Looks to be in good shape, so might try for shitz and giggles. But like I was saying about the leather, it doesn't look like there's any grain in it. Just kind of like it's been sand papered LOL. But living in SoCal, I'm going to get maybe 10-12 wears out of it a year, so I definitely want it to be spot on, otherwise it's just going to sit in the back of my closet.

Monitor likes this.
  3. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

dannyk likes this.
  4. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

5. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Mrfrown and dannyk like this.
  6. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

7. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Mrfrown and dannyk like this.
  8. Kalmer

Kalmer One of the Regulars

03DFB87F-ECD3-4841-897F-E43C52988F12.jpeg 90B8FC23-74C9-419F-870B-8B280F1DBA59.jpeg EA18F570-A8E5-4D0D-AF61-EA7626773379.jpeg B20E0F4D-5170-479C-876F-78DE9CDF4EC0.jpeg

https://grailed.app.link/Cqt2lN46cab

A very interesting way of leather processing, certainly not for everyone, but still I guess someone could use it as an inspiration and apply similar approaches on a jacket?

To me it seems that the rough side of leather is facing outward and has been partially polished. Yeah some fashion treatments, but doesn’t affect the thickness of leather and you can still make a hefty jacket out of it.

Monitor likes this.
  9. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

I've got these rough hide boots of which some parts are polished. The shine only lasts on parts that don't crease. Once the leather creases it will loose it's shine. Therefore I don't think this will work on a leather jacket. Too much creasing. EA1C5FA4-302C-4C84-948E-112B1E82A7E3.jpeg

Fonzie, Monitor and dannyk like this.
  10. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

FFADC8C5-4369-43AE-B27F-7059825A2C70.png
    Reminds me of this Schott/3Sixteen Oiled Rough Out. Not identical obviously but probably as close as a jacket can get. It’s near the top of my wish-list. Long been sold
    Out but maybe will pop-up used somewhere.
    https://www.schottnyc.com/products/3sixteen-roughout.htm

Attached Files:

11. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

The word on the VLJ is that this is an Eastman with a wonky hanger, and not a GW label.
    The leather on his RRL car coat looks amazing.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  12. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

Could you share a photo? I guess u
    you have to be in the US to be able to see his other stuff.

13. jonesy86

14. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

thanks for posting this concern/assessment. I would think folks there would know pretty quickly. The label looked familiar, the jacket looked to be quality. Does John put his personal label in all his jackets? I've not owned one of his A2, I've owned a bunch of others and I don't even remember!

I hope someone informed this seller of the identification of that jacket.

jonesy86 likes this.
  15. jonesy86

I don’t think he puts his name in the A-2 reproductions. Someone pointed out that the reproduction label was different. They also said that they ran it by JC and he said it isn’t one of his. It still looks pretty good to my untrained eye.

16. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

Jrolfe, marker2037, Guppy and 5 others like this.
  17. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

18. Monitor

Monitor

Was thinking the same AND there's one on the back, too. ;)

But really, I'd cut the rings off (because wth) and it's a kinda neat jacket.

Thuggee likes this.