Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Al 916

One Too Many
I have 2 OLD Vintage Seattle Woolen Police Jackets. One has the Union Made Tag. Both are very very heavy horsehide with no side laces or beaver tail kidney panels so they weren't Moto jackets. Both have straight zips and both of them have/had the rectangular badge holder. I have seen really cool vintage cop jackets with both but I agree there is a tendency in the modern jackets to have the rectangular (as with the Taylors) but some even have sorta this smaller almost belt loop type of badge holder where you can get your fingers behind the holder because it isn't 100% stitched to the jacket. THOSE are the really modern ones that I tend to shy away from.

The more AUTHENTIC MODERN UNIFORM it tends to be, the less I tend to think its cool. With the cop jackets, there is a fine line for me. These jackets CAN look the same but modern, more mass produced uniform grade jackets are not the same quality or coolness level IMO. Its like, you can sorta sense the institutional feel that they have when they come from these UNIFORM companies. Taylor made some cool old jackets back in the day. As they got more and more modern, they are more utilitarian and less quality leather etc. Maybe its too hard for me to put into words....uniform jackets made by uniform only companies vs. uniform jackets made by non uniform only leather jacket companies have a different feel and appeal to me. I don't want a mass produced modern cop jacket that I can buy off a website new.

Damn if I don't always get sidetracked and wordy---I agree it seems like cooler vintage cop jackets have round badge holders but this is not always the case. I don't personally dig the modern cop jackets even if they LOOK LIKE the old ones. There it is nutshelled.:confused:

Different Union label/company I assume?
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 10.30.35.png

Thanks

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I thought I had information on the Daniel Boone label related to a store or catalog, but I can't recall. Maybe Spiegel?

I think I have seen a very similar HB currently for sale on one of the non Ebay platforms, (Etsy??-Poshmark???) that is tagged Spiegel. I know they were also a Catalog Store. I think they had brick and mortars too but the company is gone now.

So, does this mean that Daniel Boone was making jackets for Penny's/ Sportclad?????

I found a similar Boone jacket for sale where the seller claimed to have seen jackets with both the Boone and Penney’s label. I’ve never seen it but that doesn’t mean much. I do believe Boone was a maker, so being subcontracted makes sense.

I also found a Penney’s D-pocket that looked an awful lot like the early patch-pocket D Hercs and Oakbrooks. I think it’s also in the lightning or Tanaka book. Another jacket I didn’t need to be reminded existed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana