Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Windward auction on eBay. Lining needs to be replaced.

1A0F28DE-4173-4FA1-A14F-300A825A0D44.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Really clean design on this Taubers Half Belt. You don't see Taubers HBs very often AT ALL. I think this is only the second I have ever seen. The Seller is accepting offers and I would try to acquire it were it not for the tragically short back length. Its also a bit wide in the chest for me. But its not a tiny jacket so someone can maybe make it work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154561333326?hash=item23fc92c84e:g:aDUAAOSwRkhgk0RG

s-l1600.jpg

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I looked at the tag, it’s San Diego leather not Just Leather, who is in NorCal. They did seem to produce similar level jackets, hence my confusion. Pretty sure both are 70s makers. Bates competitors? Good stuff. I tend to like the Just leather stuff better imo, the older stuff. Hide can be thicker looking and a bit glossier finishes.
I really like Just Leather’s older work from the 1970s with the gold and black label.
8A80EF5A-E2E9-42A3-8AFB-11189547E011.jpeg
Their brick and mortar shop closed during the pandemic. I think their work is often undervalued and worth looking out for.

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Though mostly cheaper made fashion level jackets, I have handled 3 older Reeds (One CR and 2 Cross Zips) that seemed to be really surprisingly good quality jackets. The leather had really nice graining and was fairly heavy. 99% of Reed jackets I wouldn't look twice at. But I have seen a couple lately that fall into the 1% of nice ones. Sorta similar to Excelled....... Most are okay.....lower end jackets. Not total junk--just lower end. But I have seen a couple that must be really old because they are much higher quality than the majority that you see.

As we know, many of the makers evolved into cheaper production, cheaper material mass produced fashion jackets over the years. What I take from this is that even makers that are not widely known for their Vintage quality MAY have made really cool stuff if you go back far enough. The extreme examples being Golden Bear and perhaps Belstaff where the original stuff they made is really cool vintage leather and the stuff they make now is unwearable (IMO of course;)).

Though mostly cheaper made fashion level jackets, I have handled 3 older Reeds (One CR and 2 Cross Zips) that seemed to be really surprisingly good quality jackets. The leather had really nice graining and was fairly heavy. 99% of Reed jackets I wouldn't look twice at. But I have seen a couple lately that fall into the 1% of nice ones. Sorta similar to Excelled....... Most are okay.....lower end jackets. Not total junk--just lower end. But I have seen a couple that must be really old because they are much higher quality than the majority that you see.

As we know, many of the makers evolved into cheaper production, cheaper material mass produced fashion jackets over the years. What I take from this is that even makers that are not widely known for their Vintage quality MAY have made really cool stuff if you go back far enough. The extreme examples being Golden Bear and perhaps Belstaff where the original stuff they made is really cool vintage leather and the stuff they make now is unwearable (IMO of course;)).

I was going to ask, and you answered. Most Reed seem like perfect knock around jackets. And a fair number of posts here seem to confirm that. But then, every now and then, an outlier. Either a photo of a nice looking Reed or a very positive comment about the maker. I figured I’d post the sale and let it sort itself out.

I’m eyeballing a Albert Richard MC jacket that looks amazing, but may be a inch too small in the chest. Asking price is too high for me to wing it. But the jacket leaves no doubt as to the quality.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

Tottally agree! My favorite of the 60s CR is the Reed. I even have a Reed that has original crown zippers. The #10 being the main of course. Very few makers had #10s at the center. Later, some makers made it their choice. However, in the early 60s Reed was making very good jackets for the price.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I was going to ask, and you answered. Most Reed seem like perfect knock around jackets. And a fair number of posts here seem to confirm that. But then, every now and then, an outlier. Either a photo of a nice looking Reed or a very positive comment about the maker. I figured I’d post the sale and let it sort itself out.

I’m eyeballing a Albert Richard MC jacket that looks amazing, but may be a inch too small in the chest. Asking price is too high for me to wing it. But the jacket leaves no doubt as to the quality.

I think @ton312 just sold (or at least listed) an AR in the last week. It was a Car Coat/Surcoat if I recall.......... I have seen some nice ones from that brand. I've never had one so can't attest to the quality or anything but they look to be nice true vintage jackets. Not knowing much about the brand, I don't know where it would fall on the hierarchy of vintage jackets but usually when I see them, they are cool.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I think @ton312 just sold (or at least listed) an AR in the last week. It was a Car Coat/Surcoat if I recall.......... I have seen some nice ones from that brand. I've never had one so can't attest to the quality or anything but they look to be nice true vintage jackets. Not knowing much about the brand, I don't know where it would fall on the hierarchy of vintage jackets but usually when I see them, they are cool.
Someone should buy this one. $199 for an awesome jacket.

3B34D303-0468-469D-A44E-73AE701F4008.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot