Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Bluechel

Practically Family
I would say that Taylor's jackets are definitely well made. Unlike Aero, Vanson, Eastman, Goodwear, Lost Worlds etc. Taylor IS A UNIFORM COMPANY. They're in the business of making Police Jackets making them in the style of numerous large metro police departments. These jackets are entirely utilitarian unlike the makers I mentioned who are ALL making jackets for aesthetics and fashion above all else (save for Vanson making Moto gear) and yes, I suppose some of the militaria reproduction COULD sorta fall under this but let's face it, no one is wearing a Eastman Luftwaffe to fly bi planes and shoot down allied bombers.o_O

SO while Taylor concentrates on usefulness in the field, they do not seek out Vicenza or Shinki horsehide and try to match panels based on grain etc. They don't have steerhide tanned with roses. They don't have 3 year waiting lists. What they DO make are jackets made to hammer nails all day on the job in some of the coldest/harshest weather in the country for a profession that is largely out in that weather. Well made but way more institutional than the repro jackets. I have an older (late 70s - 80s???) Taylor. Its one of the heaviest jackets I have handled including the Aero Longshoreman (that i need to list:confused::confused::confused:). Its hide is very stiff sturdy leather almost bordering on vinyl in character. It seems literally bullet proof. The zipper construction is made for extremely heavy use.

All of this is not to judge these Taylor jackets---but to properly categorize them. The company has a rich history (I believe Appalachian became Taylor) and they continue to make quality products. But they are not reproduction makers for the fashion forward gent. When evaluating a Taylor, do so with the understanding that unless you are a cop buying it for the line of duty, you are attempting to squeeze a modern police jacket into a fashion purpose which of course CAN be done but be advised these are not the same as the 70 year old police jackets from the 50s that are seen today as cool vintage fashion.

Its like trying to put commercial stoves in your house. They seem to do the same thing and you think it could work but they really are just not made for that purpose and you will not be able to do it 99% of the time. These are made to be solid police jackets. If you can make em work for fashion, more power to you.

Again, I am not denigrating these in any way. They are what they are is all. Just an evaluation for those who see these and are interested. They are generally a bargain when I see what they are going for.

Bluechel

Practically Family
And be careful when insisting on Made in USA with them, they outsource from other countries, so check that label further down carefully.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
And be careful when insisting on Made in USA with them, they outsource from other countries, so check that label further down carefully.

I didn't realize that they were outsourcing out of the country. Not surprising. The older jackets were made in Tennessee.

I'm starting to see and hear a lot of companies trying to leverage the DOMESTICALLY PRODUCED angle but the truth in advertising regulations have them dancing around the issue with statements like "ASSEMBLED IN THE U.S."...... This is the modern day equivalent of MADE IN THE USA. Like, its basically accepted that we don't make the stuff but we are PROUD to put it all together at least on our own soil!!!! I appreciate the sentiment but its like saying, "Hey, as a Patriotic American company, we actually have American workers do A PART of the production!!!! Aren't we special!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!??????"o_Oo_O

Bluechel

Practically Family
I just returned a Taylor leatherworks I purchased (and lost money shipping both ways) because it said "Imported To Our Strict Specifications" and I just chose not to keep it.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just returned a Taylor leatherworks I purchased (and lost money shipping both ways) because it said "Imported To Our Strict Specifications" and I just chose not to keep it.
Yes sadly as far as I know TLW jackets are made In Pakistan now.
I payed $250 for my 1990 dated Illinois surplus TLW and I find it was very well worth it.

It is a stout and sturdy piece that is simple enough in design to look perfectly normal.
It is not particularly fashionable or anything, it just looks like a durable jacket.

I would not buy anything from TLW today because jackets are one of my many American made only purchase categories, but I have heard that they're still offering quality pieces regardless of where they're made.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
Or the ubiquitous one now "Designed in America!!!
I really hate " designed in America " or " engineered in America ".
I don't care where it was designed or engineered, where it was made is the part that really matters.
I want to contribute to American manufacturing to help the push for it's return.
Even buying off the secondary market I believe helps show that Americans will go out of their way to buy American made things.

It seems like the reason they make this " designed in USA " claim is because they know many people will see this on the package and at a quick glance assume it says " MADE IN USA" then buy it.
Others will think " oh American engineering Is the best ".

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
I would say that Taylor's jackets are definitely well made. Unlike Aero, Vanson, Eastman, Goodwear, Lost Worlds etc. Taylor IS A UNIFORM COMPANY. They're in the business of making Police Jackets making them in the style of numerous large metro police departments. These jackets are entirely utilitarian unlike the makers I mentioned who are ALL making jackets for aesthetics and fashion above all else (save for Vanson making Moto gear) and yes, I suppose some of the militaria reproduction COULD sorta fall under this but let's face it, no one is wearing a Eastman Luftwaffe to fly bi planes and shoot down allied bombers.o_O

SO while Taylor concentrates on usefulness in the field, they do not seek out Vicenza or Shinki horsehide and try to match panels based on grain etc. They don't have steerhide tanned with roses. They don't have 3 year waiting lists. What they DO make are jackets made to hammer nails all day on the job in some of the coldest/harshest weather in the country for a profession that is largely out in that weather. Well made but way more institutional than the repro jackets. I have an older (late 70s - 80s???) Taylor. Its one of the heaviest jackets I have handled including the Aero Longshoreman (that i need to list:confused::confused::confused:). Its hide is very stiff sturdy leather almost bordering on vinyl in character. It seems literally bullet proof. The zipper construction is made for extremely heavy use.

All of this is not to judge these Taylor jackets---but to properly categorize them. The company has a rich history (I believe Appalachian became Taylor) and they continue to make quality products. But they are not reproduction makers for the fashion forward gent. When evaluating a Taylor, do so with the understanding that unless you are a cop buying it for the line of duty, you are attempting to squeeze a modern police jacket into a fashion purpose which of course CAN be done but be advised these are not the same as the 70 year old police jackets from the 50s that are seen today as cool vintage fashion.

Its like trying to put commercial stoves in your house. They seem to do the same thing and you think it could work but they really are just not made for that purpose and you will not be able to do it 99% of the time. These are made to be solid police jackets. If you can make em work for fashion, more power to you.

Again, I am not denigrating these in any way. They are what they are is all. Just an evaluation for those who see these and are interested. They are generally a bargain when I see what they are going for.

Very well stated. I like the way you categorized Taylor. I'll make a general statement, not directed at you Claybertrand. And I may not say this just right, but I'll try anyway. One could argue that a number jackets today are being squeezed into a fashion purpose. Some had utilitarian roots and the people wearing them don't look the part, ie biker, dockworker, etc. If that's OK, I see nothing wrong with the industrial police jacket look LOL

Whether a jacket works... I believe a lot has to do with the person wearing it...their body type, age, etc. Put a stud with movie-star looks in a cheap leather jacket and all of a sudden it looks better...and vice versa. People are looking at the overall picture an outfit paints, not the grain of the leather.

I remember when stainless steel in kitchens became the in thing, it was rather shocking to older folks who grew up only seeing ss used to that extent in commercial kitchens. During the early 90's, the industrial look was very popular amongst younger people.

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many

There are numerous shenanigans now. Over the past year, I have discovered a few American companies who started slowly producing overseas...so slowly that people did not notice the change. The companies had such a strong American heritage, I think their executives figured that by the time people figured out what was going on and lost their trust, they would have already padded their nests with millions in profits.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Anyone (maybe @handymike) snag this matte slate Kehoe racer:
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4270.jpg

I was really tempted to throw an offer but the sleeves were a bit too long for me at 26". I had asked for dimensions and the seller responded back with them rather promptly. He messaged me again soon after letting me know he received and was going to accept an offer, but I was on my way to an appointment so I had to pass. Classy move for the courtesy follow up. Hope someone here got this.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Does have possibilities what do you think Terry? Depending on measurements and end price

Yes, it is not like anything I've seen from Taubers. The price will never be touched, so it isn't going anywhere at that money. There is the Taubers half-belt which I think is a better jackets, but a bit too large for me. It has been discounted on ebay.

Coriu

One Too Many
...in case anyone who rides is interested. These gloves are made by Buyce Leather in Gloversville, NY. using American tanned bison hides tanned at the Sunderland Tannery. They normally run about $100, but a friend is running a special of $55. If anyone is interested, PM me. I don't get a cut out of the deal...just trying to help a small businessman who deals in quality products.
image_ee886255-30be-4cc2-895f-9ab7b7f14afc_2592x1936.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto