Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Leigh H

Practically Family
Nice 1940s French cycling jacket

Ending in 3 hours

AnxnLi0.jpg

Dnjnk

New in Town

Ending in 3 hours

AnxnLi0.jpg

Ending in 3 hours

AnxnLi0.jpg
The zips are Eclair. . . it doesn’t get more French than that

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Windward. Cali tag. God only knows what size it actually is. The measurements would indicate a rectangle. Looks very clean.

View attachment 430680
Looks almost NOS. Offer accepted, on its way to yours truly. Thanks Ton.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Early white label, but not one pocket Sportster. Looks vinyl, I'd be careful.

Agree with this. Seller puts in "this is my fathers, this was made in the 60s this is genuine leather." I highly doubt it. As we all know "Genuine Leather" doesn't account for much in this field.

That’s how you do it. Well done! Can’t wait to see it on you. Looks brilliant. Old rare label, that hide is as good as it gets new, old or anywhere in between. . I wish these would show up in my size range but they almost never do, and when they do, I gotta duke it with a bunch of inglorious bastards. They know who they are.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Lol, hope it fits. If not, I'll pay it forward and list it on TFL; looking at the lining the thing has not been worn much in 70 years.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Windward. Cali tag. God only knows what size it actually is. The measurements would indicate a rectangle. Looks very clean.

View attachment 430680

I have little doubt that jackets with this label were products of California Sportswear Co. I own jackets with this label the quality of the horsehide is in the pictures. This jacket is probably early 50s. This California label was like Sears Made in California label, and penneys made in the West.

Congratulations! I have been watching this jacket. This is a fine leather jacket.
That’s how you do it. Well done! Can’t wait to see it on you. Looks brilliant. Old rare label, that hide is as good as it gets new, old or anywhere in between. . I wish these would show up in my size range but they almost never do, and when they do, I gotta duke it with a bunch of inglorious bastards. They know who they are.

I agree 100% Fine jacket. No nonsense jacket.

Jumper

A-List Customer
$175 w/ Offer option + shipping
20" p2p
Also, "Pre-bent sleeves." For when you're fed up with having to bend your own sleeves.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16001.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Looks very similar to later model Taubers. Wonder if there’s a connection.
exactly what I am thinking-the size tag and the tab at the hem to close the jacket are very Taubers. I see the connection. and the use of YKK zippers.
They have the common locality of both being in SF---and several similar traits. Could be an imitator or a spin off sorta thing where a Taubers tailor went out on his/her own (Like the supposed story of Al's --- who it is said came from CAL Leathers) or took over the reigns perhaps when Taubers closed their doors and renamed it.

Terry, what do you mean about the YKK zips?? Did some of the later Taubers use YKKs?? Just wondering as the zippers are pretty good indicators of production date.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
$175 w/ Offer option + shipping
20" p2p
Also, "Pre-bent sleeves." For when you're fed up with having to bend your own sleeves.

View attachment 430986

View attachment 430988

View attachment 430987

Windward/Montgomery Ward

In my experience, these seem to run kinda short even in the slightly larger sizes.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Terry, what do you mean about the YKK zips?? Did some of the later Taubers use YKKs?? Just wondering as the zippers are pretty good indicators of production date.

Yes, YKK on the later Taubers labeled jackets. They also used the orange size tag and the little tab on the hem. I can't find my pictures of a a Taubers with these features and a corduroy lining. If I find it I will post it. This was an orange label Taubers.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yes, YKK on the later Taubers labeled jackets. They also used the orange size tag and the little tab on the hem. I can't find my pictures of a a Taubers with these features and a corduroy lining. If I find it I will post it. This was an orange label Taubers.
Ok. Taubers must have lasted beyond some of its contemporaries into the late 60s early 70s or so. That would be sort of the onset of YKK use in domestic jackets as perhaps Talon started to fade having had its changes in manufacturing/ownership etc. Interesting. You don't see many actual "vintage" jackets with original YKKs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner