Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Ok. Taubers must have lasted beyond some of its contemporaries into the late 60s early 70s or so. That would be sort of the onset of YKK use in domestic jackets as perhaps Talon started to fade having had its changes in manufacturing/ownership etc. Interesting. You don't see many actual "vintage" jackets with original YKKs.
There is a short review of Taubers leathers and how great they are in an early 1981 dated Northern California Norton Owners Club magazine, so Taubers we’re certainly still going then…

I’m sure Terry will know more….

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Ok. Taubers must have lasted beyond some of its contemporaries into the late 60s early 70s or so. That would be sort of the onset of YKK use in domestic jackets as perhaps Talon started to fade having had its changes in manufacturing/ownership etc. Interesting. You don't see many actual "vintage" jackets with original YKKs.
There is a short review of Taubers leathers and how great they are in an early 1981 dated Northern California Norton Owners Club magazine, so Taubers we’re certainly still going then…,

This Taubers ad was from 1984. They started business in 1941

1654472502104.png

Coriu

One Too Many
Lost Worlds HH Deck jacket 23" P2P NWT $685 OBO

Coriu

One Too Many

Claybertrand

One Too Many
There is a short review of Taubers leathers and how great they are in an early 1981 dated Northern California Norton Owners Club magazine, so Taubers we’re certainly still going then…

This Taubers ad was from 1984. They started business in 1941

View attachment 431178
This was the location of the business

Wow!!! All excellent info that I was not aware of!!!! 1984!!!????? I had no idea they were still kickin by then..... The rarity of their jackets led me to think they died out like early to mid 70s. With a four decade operation, you'd think you might see more of their jackets around although---I guess you do see the riding shirts and jackets here and there. Just seems a bit sparse out there for a company that was making jackets into the 80s.

This last ad indicates they were producing jackets and either wholesaling or selling through A TASTE OF LEATHER who I recall also marketed their own labeled jackets.

The SF connections are web-like. Every maker seems to touch or influence two others.

Thanks for the gobs of info on Taubers dudes!!

Coriu

One Too Many
Wow!!! All excellent info that I was not aware of!!!! 1984!!!????? I had no idea they were still kickin by then..... The rarity of their jackets led me to think they died out like early to mid 70s. With a four decade operation, you'd think you might see more of their jackets around although---I guess you do see the riding shirts and jackets here and there. Just seems a bit sparse out there for a company that was making jackets into the 80s.

This last ad indicates they were producing jackets and either wholesaling or selling through A TASTE OF LEATHER who I recall also marketed their own labeled jackets.

The SF connections are web-like. Every maker seems to touch or influence two others.

Thanks for the gobs of info on Taubers dudes!!
Taubers made custom stuff for bikers. I get the impression that was Ray Tauber's focus...catering to the regional biker community and maybe indirectly to the leatherman community. Like many of the CA leather shops of the time, they seemed to have a local focus...that "California thing." Relatively speaking, one does not see a large number of pieces out of many of these CA makers.

Cal $150

Mr. S jackets also look like this HO jacket…down to the snap tab over the bottom of the zipper.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Taubers made custom stuff for bikers. I get the impression that was Ray Tauber's focus...catering to the regional biker community and maybe indirectly to the leatherman community. Like many of the CA leather shops of the time, they seemed to have a local focus...that "California thing." Relatively speaking,

Taubers is the most interesting company one of the longest lived stars of the Bay area. They produced a variety of leather outerwear with a focus on MC/Police jackets. I have three civilian styled jackets, including one made in Deerskin. I"ve also seen a goatskin cafe racer. I know another interesting Taubers will come along. I forgot, I just bought one!! no two!!

1654563744594.jpeg

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
Taubers is the most interesting company one of the longest lived stars of the Bay area. They produced a variety of leather outerwear with a focus on MC/Police jackets. I have three civilian styled jackets, including one made in Deerskin. I"ve also seen a goatskin cafe racer. I know another interesting Taubers will come along. I forgot, I just bought one!! no two!!

View attachment 431456
If one was going to build a collection of a specific maker of vintage jackets, I think Taubers would be one of the most interesting brands to pursue. Imagine a collection of old Cal's, Langlitz and Taubers together...wow

Al 916

One Too Many
Vanson 42

View attachment 431387
Graining (Brown) is terrific! (give me that on an A (B) and I will be a happy boy

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is Durable labeled jacket.

I don't see a label on this jacket. Looks to be goatskin, the zipper is probably a 50s replacement. Could pass for 30s/40s

1654632089580.png

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
This is Durable labeled jacket.

I don't see a label on this jacket. Looks to be goatskin, the zipper is probably a 50s replacement. Could pass for 30s/40s

View attachment 431608

I have something similar. Mine is from the mid 50s. However, I nice jacket in a very wearable size. At least for me that is. LOL>

Damon141

Practically Family
Himel Bros Kensington on eBay buy it now $999
Literally like new condition, whoever can fit this should snatch it up.

Reactions: MTS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy