Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Apologies @JMax, my reply was absolutely not related to you. I was literally referring to what’s going on lately, I’m going through some rough times and reading this just triggered my messed up brain.

All good man. I tend to agree with your sentiment overall. And calm seas always arrive after the rough.

I was obviously kidding earlier on - Tho I won't pretend losing a leather jacket I'm set on buying isn't annoying af but regardless, I won't and can't blame anyone for anything of course as it's everyone's game - But yeah, I sure as paint wouldn't post something I'm 1000% interested in into this thread because... Well, no need even explaining why! Because I want it and I don't want any of you to get it and I'm sure it's the same for everyone and that is perfectly okay.
Still, I see 10 jackets a day I find cool but either aren't my size or are too much of a choir to get, which is what I imagined this thread is about. I think we're all guided by the same principle when it comes to this thread. Or at least we are, @JMax as we seem to post in the same manner.

So all good, man. And Satan is allowed to participate in this thread as well, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks bud. Agreed. I donwish @tmitchell59 would post more so I can sniff out his sources.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Was it one of you? Be honest @Monitor @Marc mndt

I didn’t see the 29”’back. Kevin Durant could wear it I guess. Maybe the way he took the measurements, top of collar to bottom of knits adds a couple of inches? Still long tho.
I bet that was an opportunistic yet strategic acquisition for Carlos Lost Worlds Museum. The Collection would not be complete without that blouson. ;)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Are you guys serious? English is not my first language, maybe I am missing something. It happens to me sometimes.

So if I put in the time and effort and find an auction for a jacket I really want, that is at a low price, and I decide not to post it here, among normally lovable, yet rabid animals that will definitely ramp up the price, I am somehow an amoral douche? That’s a bridge too far. I contribute to this thread, have messaged many people with jackets they may be interested in, avoided bidding on jackets I am certain other people want, and have even set up searches to help a few other members. I’m pretty damn far from unprincipled.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this. Let me run through it again. I would be a dick and piss off the jacket Illuminati if I do not post an auction... after I put in the work, find a perfect J82 in my size (hint hint) that has a day left in the auction, is at a low initial ask, and has no bids because it is labeled “black leather jacket”? C’mon. No one here posts every single thing they see. And no one here would post my example above, or others like it. Not if you really want the jacket and the price is amazing.

I have some personal parameters I abide by when deciding to post or not post in the thread. That’s my call. Others have different guidelines, that’s cool too. And I guess those members that never contribute to the thread but somehow still purchase used jackets are Satan.

PS, this sort of started with my jesting about it a little while back. It was a Vanson E. Not a grail. I’ve have bought and owned Es. They are plentiful. I was bidding but had no issue with it being posted. It was an E, not a Durable or IR.

PS2, I still love you @Carlos840
I think Carlos was referring to jonbuilder's snipe of the Cal out of the UK.

Coriu

One Too Many
So if I put in the time and effort and find an auction for a jacket I really want, that is at a low price, and I decide not to post it here, among normally lovable, yet rabid animals...
TFL member under normal conditions
85bbde8f4236ff6357573a3add4589d3.jpg

TFL member when a grail jacket is on the line
635895831718974808-AFP-548338813.jpg

Yamahana

One Too Many
Rockabilly Deluxe!! I love the Rockabilly culture, style and music but I’m nowhere confident or cool enough to pull this off. If it was cheap enough I’d buy it to hang in my crowded closet so every once in awhile I’d put it on and say “damn this is so cool!” Thought I better post it tho in case Dwight Yoakam is a member here.
60606F68-E899-4B6B-8B86-8445150A62DB.jpeg
45ACFD81-3A32-4641-8728-0CDC4C51C162.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50...-/233930317826?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

dannyk

One Too Many
Rockabilly Deluxe!! I love the Rockabilly culture, style and music but I’m nowhere confident or cool enough to pull this off. If it was cheap enough I’d buy it to hang in my crowded closet so every once in awhile I’d put it on and say “damn this is so cool!” Thought I better post it tho in case Dwight Yoakam is a member here.
View attachment 319060 View attachment 319061
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50...-/233930317826?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
If it was smaller I would wear it!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you guys serious? English is not my first language, maybe I am missing something. It happens to me sometimes.

So if I put in the time and effort and find an auction for a jacket I really want, that is at a low price, and I decide not to post it here, among normally lovable, yet rabid animals that will definitely ramp up the price, I am somehow an amoral douche? That’s a bridge too far. I contribute to this thread, have messaged many people with jackets they may be interested in, avoided bidding on jackets I am certain other people want, and have even set up searches to help a few other members. I’m pretty damn far from unprincipled.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this. Let me run through it again. I would be a dick and piss off the jacket Illuminati if I do not post an auction... after I put in the work, find a perfect J82 in my size (hint hint) that has a day left in the auction, is at a low initial ask, and has no bids because it is labeled “black leather jacket”? C’mon. No one here posts every single thing they see. And no one here would post my example above, or others like it. Not if you really want the jacket and the price is amazing.

I have some personal parameters I abide by when deciding to post or not post in the thread. That’s my call. Others have different guidelines, that’s cool too. And I guess those members that never contribute to the thread but somehow still purchase used jackets are Satan.

PS, this sort of started with my jesting about it a little while back. It was a Vanson E. Not a grail. I’ve have bought and owned Es. They are plentiful. I was bidding but had no issue with it being posted. It was an E, not a Durable or IR.

PS2, I still love you @Carlos840
I hear you JMax and agree with what you are saying. I do not know if Carlos was referring to the act of listing or not listing auctions here in the find and deal thread. I think he might be referring to buying jackets that are posted here like the Cal I recently purchased from MV. I do not see how a jacket on eBay that is posted here changing anything. eBay is a market separate from TFL. I had honed in on the Cal racer and messaged MV prior to seeing it posted here. Once I made my decision to buy I enter a snip bid of 777 GBP and sent an offer of $600 by message, The rest is history. I for one never think I have any entitlement to an item being auctioned on eBay.
On a different note, I think we have developed some etiquette on items posted in TFL classifies.

I hear you JMax and agree with what you are saying. I do not know if Carlos was referring to the act of listing or not listing auctions here in the find and deal thread. I think he might be referring to buying jackets that are posted here like the Cal I recently purchased from MV. I do not see how a jacket on eBay that is posted here changing anything. eBay is a market separate from TFL. I had honed in on the Cal racer and messaged MV prior to seeing it posted here. Once I made my decision to buy I enter a snip bid of 777 GBP and sent an offer of $600 by message, The rest is history. I for one never think I have any entitlement to an item being auctioned on eBay.
On a different note, I think we have developed some etiquette on items posted in TFL classifies.

Carlos probably was referring to this. I had forgotten. Mea culpa. But my point still stands. I recall a while back that is was actually more of an issue. I don't want to say contentious because I don't think it was. Though if my memory serves, to the point of folks asking for posts in this thread to be deleted. That's okay too. Trust me, I've salivated after a jacket, and like Monitor, lost the auction and then immediately seen it posted around here. And I know for sure I have done it to others. It is what it is.

I think we have developed some etiquette, in both the classifieds and the Finds thread.

This thread only took 439 pages to arrive at the place I knew it eventually would. Pretty good run actually. I personally wouldn't post something I wanted to buy in this lion's den. And obviously anything on an auction site of any kind is fair game. I'll buy it and post it in the classifieds if it doesn't work out for me....
All is fair in love and war!:)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Of course the internet is an open marketplace and everyone can buy whatever they want. But if I know some tfl member wants some eBay listed jacket really bad, then I won't bid on it or snipe it one way or the other.

You mentioned in an earlier post how you didn't bid on a jacket because you knew Terry wanted it:
I hope you are not upset. With snip programs, it would have gone to who has the deepest pockets. My jacket purchases concentrate on vintage and then California-made jackets. I purposely did not bid on the California Sportwear Terry just acquired knowing he was interested in research I would most like just drive the price up for him

Yet when @Carlos840 really wanted this Cal cr, you though it was perfectly fine to circumvent the auction and buy the jacket for yourself.

And I am sure Carlos"s closet is not going to be lonely for one 70 year old Cal

I'm not judging, you should do whatever you like. But it does look like you're applying double standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner