Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/940721132/

Good condition Sportclad. Size 40 with a short back length.

9E3780E4-C2C1-43CC-A6F6-BFEC559881E4.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Terminal Rot-you can't not mention this damage, no excuse for that. I just bought two non MC Fieldmaster jackets. They are both Appalachian not sure on this MC jacket. The Fieldmaster label does not appear until 1956.
Yeah, too bad, because this jacket fit like a dream. Definitely will be on the lookout for one in better shape. What other labels did these jackets appear under? The studded kidney belt and full action back seem to be the dustinguishing features.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, too bad, because this jacket fit like a dream. Definitely will be on the lookout for one in better shape. What other labels did these jackets appear under? The studded kidney belt and full action back seem to be the dustinguishing features.
Sears Hercules and later as Sears Oakbrook if not mistaken.

triady

New in Town
If a jacket has had exceptional professional work done, is it better than an original jacket with broken zipper, frayed sleeves, dry leather, etc.? Like a refurbished classic vehicle, would the price need to reflect all the work done? Just asking - I know my antiques but not MC jackets. Thanks-
BTW - I’m new in town, but I’ve been lurking for seven years or more. This is such an awesome site and repository of information. I recently got the courage to become a member. Everyone here is just awesome and the outerwear shown is amazing!

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Sears MC jackets with the fieldmaster label are not that common. The first use of the Fieldmaster labels I found is 1955.

Check out the thread:https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/sears-motorcylce-jacket-history-1949-1963.101311

There were several makers for Sears through the years. I do associate Fieldmaster jackets with Appalachian. This same jacket may show up with no label, Hercules label, maybe Oakbrook. Again they have to match. Did you get a picture of the epaulets?

This is from the 1956 catalog.

1656638149362.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
If a jacket has had exceptional professional work done, is it better than an original jacket with broken zipper, frayed sleeves, dry leather, etc.? Like a refurbished classic vehicle, would the price need to reflect all the work done? Just asking - I know my antiques but not MC jackets. Thanks-
BTW - I’m new in town, but I’ve been lurking for seven years or more. This is such an awesome site and repository of information. I recently got the courage to become a member. Everyone here is just awesome and the outerwear shown is amazing!

Welcome to the conversation. I work with older jackets, so familiar with the issues. Some jackets are worth fixing and others are not. Professional work is expensive and sometimes hard to find locally. The market for "collectors" jackets is quite small and quite particular.

triady

New in Town
Welcome to the conversation. I work with older jackets, so familiar with the issues. Some jackets are worth fixing and others are not. Professional work is expensive and sometimes hard to find locally. The market for "collectors" jackets is quite small and quite particular.
Could you expand on this? Do you mean that there are a very few collectors of “collector” jackets? Also, are you saying that only certain jackets qualify as “collector” jackets? And if so, which ones (brands) do you feel are those collector jackets? Many years ago I had a Durable jacket that I wore as a young man. Since it no longer fit me, I put it on ebay at auction, and much to my surprise, since I didn’t know what I had it finally sold for over $1,000. Now, I realize that many jackets are quite valuable.

Collectors collect what appeals to them. Some like 40s vtg, some only like vtg MC (me), some collect LWs jackets (sorta me), some dabble in everything, etc. Some will snag only jackets that fit (me), some snag them even if they don’t. And on and on.

IMO, there are few true collectors. I’m not one, though I’ve owned quite a few jackets. In my mind, folks like TM and Mysteryo make up the vtg end and then folks like Carlos, KingB and Jejupe make up the contemporary end of collecting. Guys like Marc collect both. And on and on. No set definition.

Collector or not, most of TFL has a passion for jackets, the ultimate requirement.

triady

New in Town
Collectors collect what appeals to them. Some like 40s vtg, some only like vtg MC (me), some collect LWs jackets (sorta me), some dabble in everything, etc. Some will snag only jackets that fit (me), some snag them even if they don’t. And on and on.

IMO, there are few true collectors. I’m not one, though I’ve owned quite a few jackets. In my mind, folks like TM and Mysteryo make up the vtg end and then folks like Carlos, KingB and Jejupe make up the contemporary end of collecting. Guys like Marc collect both. And on and on. No set definition.

Collector or not, most of TFL has a passion for jackets, the ultimate requirement.
Thanks! That helps to understand about collectors and collecting.

Thanks! That helps to understand about collectors and collecting.

Too bad about the Durable. It’s a sought-after jacket for sure. One of the most coveted by many different types in the game. But it sounds like you did alright with the sale. Very well indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ