Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The brown one looks definitively like Goat......... the black one looks like steer/horse....... Seems that Goat was used more in the older jackets (30s-40s) than it was later on and it SEEMS like you see it more from the Bay Area makers. It would make sense as a lighter hide in warmer climate. Not that SF is LA but it certainly ain't Chicago or Milwaukee

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The brown one looks definitively like Goat......... the black one looks like steer/horse....... Seems that Goat was used more in the older jackets (30s-40s) than it was later on and it SEEMS like you see it more from the Bay Area makers. It would make sense as a lighter hide in warmer climate. Not that SF is LA but it certainly ain't Chicago or Milwaukee

I always think West Coast when I see a goatskin police jacket, warm weather jackets. Heck most vintage goatskin jackets say California to me.

Pre-war goatskin police jacket; maker unknown.

1670784718366.jpeg
1670784742148.jpeg
1670784776175.jpeg
1670784862649.jpeg

Made in California goatskin

1670785212654.jpeg
1670785288654.jpeg
1670785377521.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

I always think West Coast when I see a goatskin police jacket, warm weather jackets. Heck most vintage goatskin jackets say California to me.

Pre-war goatskin police jacket; maker unknown.

View attachment 471908 View attachment 471913 View attachment 471917 View attachment 471920

Made in California goatskin

View attachment 471921 View attachment 471922 View attachment 471923

The black police jacket is a Californian. Many of the details scream to me like the cut,sewing technique,front pockets,sleeves and belt loops. T, are you joking? You would have spot it right away... LOL. love your jackets. I always have. I always wondered who purchased that nice Herc with the red lining? A very dear friend of mine who no longer with us had that jacket. Now that he passed, I am looking for one, to to remember him.

ObiJuanValdez

New in Town
I'm still very new to this leather jacket culture, and don't yet own any vintage, but I find the attraction to the old police jackets interesting. For me, I just can't get past the badge holders. They stick out like a sore thumb, and just ruin the whole aesthetic for me. Do they bother anyone else, or am I just getting carried away with OCD?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I'm still very new to this leather jacket culture, and don't yet own any vintage, but I find the attraction to the old police jackets interesting. For me, I just can't get past the badge holders. They stick out like a sore thumb, and just ruin the whole aesthetic for me. Do they bother anyone else, or am I just getting carried away with OCD?

OCD friend! In true honesty it does not bother me. I know some love those details and are willing to pay more for jackets that still have the holder. Personally, I rather have the holder than the wholes on the jacket.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Same for me, I wouldn't wear one for this reason alone. Also I dislike the idea of wearing a police jacket because of what it represents.

They're part of the jacket. Why would they bother you?

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Same for me, I wouldn't wear one for this reason alone. Also I dislike the idea of wearing a police jacket because of what it represents.
I don't think wearing a vintage 40s police jacket is any kind of political statement or particular representation.

To me, its simply that these jackets---and I am speaking mainly of the truly vintage jackets like the one @tmitchell59 is listing ---were some of the earliest heavy duty leather jackets made and so they sorta have their place in the historical timeline of the evolution of leather jackets. Like the early moto jackets were often military jackets and worn by former soldiers but they were worn for their function not to have people saluting them. I can understand not preferring holes in the leather, the police patches and badge holders as a matter of taste. I have grown to accept badge holders yet I am still not a big fan of epaulettes though they are certainly not deal breakers for me.

These old jackets are not just collected because they are police jackets. To me, that's not in and of itself the attraction. Rather its the age and quality of the hide and the construction. It may also be the maker. Some known iconic vintage makers made police jackets and the rarity alone of these makers is an attraction. Some are collectors more so than -- or at least as much as---fashionistas.

Personally I am not a fan of modern police jackets particularly ones in active use. I am not trying to impersonate a police officer. Lol.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This guy is not trying to impersonate a gas station attendant, but rocks an iconic jacket.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/post-2962649

Same with cop jackets. I am with Clay though, they have to be old.
Great post man!!! I didn't catch the original post on Friday. @Marc mndt is 100% correct!! I have one of these without the patch and I have not been able to find the correct size of patch to re-attach. I have not seen one of these with the patch intact. AND its a Horsehide!! Mine is Steerhide. The collars on these jackets are great!!

I was going to reference these jackets when explaining about the Police Jackets. These are just really old leather jackets and the fact that they were uniform jackets may not put them in the same desirability category for some as if the jacket were just a normal out of the catalog model. But the flip side is they are perhaps MORE unique and rare. Though the patch may not seem super cool, as a fashion aspect, its something different, authentic and historical.

Just in case anyone was in the market for a lightly used Hard On
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144839180563 View attachment 472074 View attachment 472072
The measurements indicate a 40” but man if those sleeves were 2” longer I’d bin the shit outta that and immediately remove that label. Looks just like my Walter Dyer. I *think* these were made by Johnson leathers and relabeled for the laughably named retail store.
I mean just combine the maker and the retail outlet and you’ve got the San Fran leather jacket scene about covered. LOL. Kick ass jacket in any case.
“Hard On is proud to offer this Johnson for your consideration”.
LOOL.

What does it represent to you? Or is it the impersonation or uniform thing that some have concerns with? Sort of like not wanting to wear an MC jacket if you don’t ride. IMO, both concerns are unwarranted. Wear what ya like.

I like the badge holders. I prefer jackets that have them and I dig how they look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ