Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fire in Griffith Park, Los Angeles!

hargist

One of the Regulars
There is a huge brush fire happening in Griffith Park in Los Angeles as I type. I looked out my office window and there it was! I took these pictures a couple minutes ago.

For those not familiar with LA, that's Beverly Hills in the foreground with the Hollywood Hills in the background.

fire1.JPG

fire2.JPG

hargist

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
I just heard on the news that the Hollywood sign could be in danger.

I think the Hollywood sign is fine. As long as the fire doesn't spread, it seems far enough away to be safe. I marked where the Hollywood sign is on this photo.

fire2arrow.JPG

hargist

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
I was just going to start a new thread on this!

Here's a link with a dramatic pic of the Hollywood Sign. http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN3035132020070330

The fire is nearly out now, although the smoke just blew into my backyard. Blech.

The angle from which that picture was taken makes the fire look very close to the Hollywood sign, but from my picture's vantage point you can see how far away the fire actually is. Still, that's a very dramatic picture!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
An eerie echo

The last time Griffith Park caught fire it was 1933.
4,000 men on relief were out clearing brush and 29 died.
Read about it here.

fireo331.gif

They were unemployed men working there in Griffith Park. They were laborers and clerks and executives and even ministers. In their hearts a little candle of hope had been burning again because they had a chance to earn a little money.

It was only a brush fire that they were asked to extinguish. It was the sort that skilled fireworkers know how to handle. But the men in the park weren't fire fighters. They did not know that canyons become flutes in a brush fire, or that flames travel with such deadly swiftness over grass and trees grown brittle with the summer drought.

It was work. That was all that mattered.

–Los Angeles Herald-Express, October 4, 1933.

Doh!

One Too Many
When I was a kid, my brother and I accidentally set the back yard on fire when we were burning army men (this was YEARS before Beavis and Butthead corrupted America's youth). We got the fire out with a garden hose about 5 minutes before Dad came home from work -- and he was none the wiser.

But, yeah, I think they should get some credit for owning up to it. Kids can be stupid, but that doesn't mean they have to be jerks about it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
I knew it has something to do with cigarettes.
You just know the '33 fire was started by some relief worker who thought he'd stomped his cig out. People were incredibly careless with fire and flammables in those days. Everywhere you went, someone was eatin' a butt. They even used to use gasoline to waterproof circus tents and no one thought a thing of it until this happened.
Htfdcircusfire.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo