Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first aero leather jacket. need help with fit and sizing!

bien

One of the Regulars
hello friends! this is my first post, although ive been reading a lot of posts here regarding leather jackets. i recently purchased one at thurston. i chose a stock aero boarder blackened brown. however, i am not sure if i need to return it and order a custom instead. i workout a bit and have minor shoulder mass. it is a little tight on the armhole. will the armholes stretch with wear? what is your opinion with the sleeve length? im worried it will shorten over time. and the jacket length? i feel like its just right but i would like to get advice from you guys. thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210625_172040155~2.jpg
    PXL_20210625_172040155~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,014
  • PXL_20210625_171835604.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210625_171835604.MP~2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,202
  • PXL_20210625_171821652~2.jpg
    PXL_20210625_171821652~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 987
  • PXL_20210625_172055009.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210625_172055009.MP.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 1,315
  • PXL_20210625_172019237.jpg
    PXL_20210625_172019237.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 897
  • PXL_20210625_171918955.jpg
    PXL_20210625_171918955.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 956
  • PXL_20210625_171851714.jpg
    PXL_20210625_171851714.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,081

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hello friends! this is my first post, although ive been reading a lot of posts here regarding leather jackets. i recently purchased one at thurston. i chose a stock aero boarder blackened brown. however, i am not sure if i need to return it and order a custom instead. i workout a bit and have minor shoulder mass. it is a little tight on the armhole. will the armholes stretch with wear? what is your opinion with the sleeve length? im worried it will shorten over time. and the jacket length? i feel like its just right but i would like to get advice from you guys. thanks!
Maybe a bit short from the front if closed, but otherwise it would be what I would want it to be.
Worn open top. But I also like things to be tight.
The problem with a custom is that there can be a tolerance of 0.5" up or down.
I think if you mainly wear them openly I would keep them.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
At first I thought it was too tight on the chest (first pic with jacket unzipped) but then I saw that's because your shoulders are curved backwards (fourth pic).

Looks like a perfect fit to me, including the length. The armholes won't stretch, not at all.

bien

One of the Regulars
thank you! im worried about the sleeve length as i read that it would shorten as it creases. will thatbe the case for this case? would it look weird on me or it would still be considered a good fit?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think the sleeves are getting any shorter.
This is only the case with my jackets if the sleeves are rather long and this creates more wrinkles. For the jackets where the sleeves are just right, I have fewer wrinkles and the length is the same. I think you don't need to worry.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
looks good from the front, maybe the lower back would look better once the leather find its way out with some more wears... if it doesn't bother you then it looks fine from the front

thank you! im worried about the sleeve length as i read that it would shorten as it creases.

It's not going to happen. Creases shortening sleeves is one of those myths that I too have fallen victim to and it's not only nonsense but also a harmful kind of nonsense.
Either way, don't worry about it. You already set in all the creases this jacket is going to get during the first 20 minutes you wore the jacket. The sleeves are fine and will stay that way.

It won't stretch, either.

As for the fit, it looks good on you but it's obvious it fits you very, very snug and I can see why you say it feels tight, even when unzipped. I personally don't think the zipper should be ( ) shaped over wearers chest but rather fall down in a straight line. Also, if you intend to wear this jacket in colder weather, layering is something you ought to forget about.

I'm sure this isn't your first jacket so how does it feel compared to the cheaper one you got? It should be an upgrade in every possible way and if you feel it isn't, send it back.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I think the fit looks model good. Meaning good for posing for pictures, but too small for actually living in. Although, that also depends on geography. If you’ll never need to zip the jacket it might be ok. If you’ll need to zip it and drive a car, Or throw a sweatshirt underneath, not so much.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
It appears snug. If you are going to continue to workout it will be too snug before long. Try the next size up just to be sure........

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I have a Seven (BR Pattern) and find the jacket snug, even though I sized up from my normal 42 to a 44.

The armholes are high and tight. They have only minimally improved. They do not bind like they did on the 42, but they are still noticeable. This is the downside of a jacket with the high armhole design. I am still on the fence and honestly think I may end up trying another pattern with lower armholes.

You might want to try a cafe racer. it should give a little more room across the chest.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If it feels too tight now it will still feel too tight months from now. I have a few Aeros that are like that. The it will get better as it break in does is NOT TRUE. You may end up feeling that you got the short end of the stick like me, and the jackets just sit at the back of the closet reminding me of my mistakes. If it doesn't feel right out of the box, send it back. A well fitted jacket, no matter new or used, will feel right out of the box. I wish someone told me this years ago.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Like he said - if it’s not comfortable send it back, life is way too short to try to wear jackets which aren’t nice to wear straight away. I’ve had jackets with too tight armholes before and persevered with them for months - they’ve still got too tight armholes and I wish I’d sent them back when I had the chance

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
For my tastes, it's close to perfect erroring on the side of a tad bit short and a tad bit tight. Basically, no room for any weight gain or layering. Ideal world, I'd go up a half size and add an inch to length. But like others have said, no guarantee a custom jacket will get you there. Given it's not CXL, I think you can push the limits, so you might be okay.

lina

Practically Family
As a riding jacket the sleeves would be too short for me, but for casual wear perhaps not. Just see how they feel when you stretch your arms out and they ride up a bit.

It's interesting, I had every Aero jacket I try on fit like yours appears to -- that is, felt tight across the chest, even though there was room in the back. I think perhaps they tend to have more narrow panels in the front in their designs, or something; though I don't know of anyone else saying that. But I don't like that tight feeling in the front. I think as others have said, if it feels tight now it will probably always feel tight.

Riu

Practically Family
The first Aero I've tried was like this, looked fantastic but it was just a bit too tight around the chest for me. Regardless of how good it looks, you know better how it feels indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko