Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

My deerskin black Trucker Type 3 custom build arrived yesterday, measurements are absolutely spot on, awesome jacket, brief fully met.
    Thanks to Shawn and the Five Star team.

Vintage brass buttons for aforementioned Trucker landed today & are about to be attached. That task has been taken on by my Father who’s a very precise man and will align everything correctly. Once that task is completed I’ll post some pics.

Whilst the ‘milled’ grain might not be to everyone’s cup of tea it works for me with this type of jacket, though maybe not what I’d want on the likes of an A-2 where my tastes run differently.

Zoo, antoine p, SkyCapt. and 3 others like this.
  2. CBI

CBI One Too Many

be sure to join 5 Star's Facebook page as many non forum folks posts pics of their jackets. An amazing variety of stuff!!!

Bahabp100, Pandemic and bn1966 like this.
  3. kazuma

kazuma New in Town

Some nice looking leather there!

4. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Yes it is a JL creation.

abone2010 likes this.
  5. abone2010

abone2010 One of the Regulars

He wasn't keen about my request to add any size to the collar. Said he would have to redo the pattern which would delay the project. They can't cut the leather without the pattern. My purpose in requesting to see the pattern before construction in the first place was to dial in any changes necessary, but it's apparently not that simple. Oh well.

Hh121 likes this.
  6. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

better wait and get the collar the way you want it. I did it that way too. the collar of one of my jackets seemed too small to me and I saw it on the pattern. I'm glad I made it bigger.

I think that's exactly the big advantage of 5*, that you can design according to your own wishes. and correcting is part of it.

abone2010, Hh121 and handymike like this.
  7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I agree, Get the proportions you want!
    Another week is nothing. Compromise will lead to disappointment.

abone2010 and Hh121 like this.
  8. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

maybe to add ... of course Shawn won't be happy about a late change. But in the end I have always seen him in such a way that it is important to him that his customers are happy.

I am always amazed that Shawn still takes orders from me, just as I torment him with strange wishes and corrections Lol

El Marro, ton312, abone2010 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

don't worry, Shawn is the man, he will make his customer happy.

abone2010 likes this.
  10. abone2010

I don't know, I just said @#$% it, get it over with man. It's the only change I requested since he sent the pattern to me and he made a big deal out of it. I'm not a patient man so probably not the best to handle this. Hopefully the final product is good.
    My wife was an amateur seamstress and she said adding 1/2" to a collar is not a big deal. It can be done easily, so this is a bit bizarre.

11. abone2010

Thanks for this, did he say he had to recut the pattern, and it will create delays or the project won't be finished?

12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Fingers crossed...
    But, I’d write him back and pull the brake lever.
    The jacket isn’t bad as is, but ask for what you want.

abone2010 likes this.
  13. abone2010

Beautiful jacket. That piece really stood out for me!

14. abone2010

I've sent him an apology for creating extra work, we'll see if sympathy has the desired effect. If it doesn't I'll try the hard line approach. Much easier to change it now, rather risk if its built and I just don't like it, request for the collar to be swapped out.
    It probably comes down to Shawn is trying to build a custom business, but the workshop is building standard patterns and there is stress between the two.

handymike likes this.
  15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Always best to be polite. :)
    You’re both on the same team afterall.

Hh121 likes this.
  16. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

nothing like that. we simply enlarged the collar. the rest of the jacket was fine. maybe he misunderstood it and thinks he has to enlarge the neck hole? because of the longer collar tips that shouldn't really be a problem.

abone2010 likes this.
  17. abone2010

I sent a diagram illustrating adding 1/2" to the collar tip. It's quite straight forward.
    To be fair, I made a few changes earlier in the process, leading up to pattern construction. Might be where his frustration is, but we're way past that now. I approved the entire pattern except for requesting 1/2 " additional collar size

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  18. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 A-List Customer

He has charged me $30 to change the pattern when I needed to

abone2010 likes this.
  19. abone2010

Interesting. I had thought about offering to pay, but the cost of my jacket is higher than others are paying already, due to the design and button holes I presume.

20. abone2010

I'm a Canadian, we say please and thank-you so much, even we get sick of hearing ourselves!

El Marro, Pandemic, Riu and 6 others like this.