Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
damn, that's tight. Can't wait to see what the true color is. It's like from black to brown in those pics. I remember the one you based it on was more of distressed, antique shiny brown kind of thing, no? But they nailed the pattern.
Yep, it’s based on these three jackets:
498873D4-44EB-4D7E-9595-21053B0375A3.jpeg
57140E12-5444-44FD-9C9A-F9BB0B429DB1.jpeg
8E7C2EF2-BAEB-4B6D-9D41-9F64500ADD92.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am planning this jacket.
Instead of the turn buttons, however, normal buttons made of metal.
34B7012B-C049-4ABB-9C70-E19551C92894.jpeg
F2FC332E-06D9-4EDD-9B53-563E5B647444.png
I'm considering configuring pockets in trucker style.
1B448314-6727-4EBC-BB20-ECF529ED2CDA.jpeg
And instead of gray, it is seal-colored with seal-colored reinforcements.
what do you think? simple as it is original or with pockets?

maybe this pocket setup?
F670FE74-5398-4336-9DEB-B51EA6717AAE.jpeg

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I
I/someone/we needs to upload their sizing chart which also helps. Kind of their standard Small, Med, large sizing just to give you all an idea. They size up to something like XXL. Providing ones own preferred measurements is great but it can help to have a reference.

The G-1 looks nice BTW!!!!

I just checked out the website. There are different sizing charts for different styles.

View attachment 267206
View attachment 267207
View attachment 267205

maybe this pocket setup?
View attachment 267208
I like the idea of using the type III pockets. Would look really cool!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I put my Five Star Goatskin in the washer delicate cycle, then air fluff (no heat) in the dryer, and then hung it out to dry completely. It came out pretty dry and squeaky and with some shrinkage. I then thoroughly rubbed in some Pecard, warmed it in the sun and wore it around stretching and forming it to my body, pulling on it in places to get more length. Nice and soft now only a minor amount of shrinkage in the length, and p to p with some light brown showing through the brown seal (almost black) dye, especially in the slash pocket facing and a little on the bottom hem
IMG_2724.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Make sure the light is behind the photographer never in front . Indirect lighting works the best

Good advice. For these pics, the photographer was me with my phone making due with surroundings at hand. I aspire to better pics, though. Thanks!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 267206
View attachment 267207
View attachment 267205

maybe this pocket setup?
View attachment 267208

This is interesting, im sure it will turn out well given your previous dealings with them. how will the back look?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your thoughts.
Good question.
I think about one of this two:
View attachment 267365 View attachment 267366
my jacket is almost ready. I'm asking Shawn to send me samples of the sheepskin leather when it ships. If it's pretty good, I might be the guinea pig to try the D1. Given that they can customize the measurements, I'm more confident to get a great fit and not be too baggy. I just need to figure out how much size to allow for the shearling. Once I get my other jacket from them, then I can add the difference and make any adjustments in case the "basic" fit needs to be improved. But I may also try a cafe racer with them. If I like the aniline natural color (asked for samples), then I will order one trying to copy Buco style. Would love to get that natural CXL kind of look that will darken with age or close as possible. Maybe if I load up the leather with a bunch of waxes.

btw, that coastal looks great on you. perfect fit. that's exactly what I want. Don't want to be swimming in my jacket. how does it look with the hood folded down? Does it look like a regular collar?

MrProper

my jacket is almost ready. I'm asking Shawn to send me samples of the sheepskin leather when it ships. If it's pretty good, I might be the guinea pig to try the D1. Given that they can customize the measurements, I'm more confident to get a great fit and not be too baggy. I just need to figure out how much size to allow for the shearling. Once I get my other jacket from them, then I can add the difference and make any adjustments in case the "basic" fit needs to be improved. But I may also try a cafe racer with them. If I like the aniline natural color (asked for samples), then I will order one trying to copy Buco style. Would love to get that natural CXL kind of look that will darken with age or close as possible. Maybe if I load up the leather with a bunch of waxes.

btw, that coastal looks great on you. perfect fit. that's exactly what I want. Don't want to be swimming in my jacket. how does it look with the hood folded down? Does it look like a regular collar?

Not at the moment. The hood still has too much elasticity to stay in the shape of a collar ;)
A1B45D60-0C6F-478F-844E-02EE6369C456.jpeg

MrProper

View attachment 267206
View attachment 267207
View attachment 267205

maybe this pocket setup?
View attachment 267208

I hate to think about this back and forth until the final order ;)

The following details for my new jacket:
The front, sleeves, collar and waistband like here,
398AE670-515F-4F6B-8D6A-1A945EF9DD97.jpeg

but with the pockets from this one.
BBBD4FAA-65EF-4BBC-B338-930B35C38E7A.jpeg

Back like this one
509C5F39-A56A-494B-B55A-DE972043E77C.jpeg

Straps to tighten at waist level.

So far I thought buttons were fine.
But maybe a zipper is cooler after all?
Or is that too much D-1 optics?
So, you are asked. Zipper or buttons?

I hate to think about this back and forth until the final order ;)

The following details for my new jacket:
The front, sleeves, collar and waistband like here,
View attachment 267394

but with the pockets from this one.
View attachment 267395

Back like this one
View attachment 267393

Straps to tighten at waist level.

So far I thought buttons were fine.
But maybe a zipper is cooler after all?
Or is that too much D-1 optics?
So, you are asked. Zipper or buttons?
My vote is for buttons. I think it’s a bit more unique that way. I can’t recall (besides the one you posted) a shearling lined button front jacket. But if durability is a concern I’d chose the zip. I almost wanted to change mine to a button front but balked because I want to see how he does them, and make sure they’ll be tight enough not to worry about. Was thing of a button front Halfbelt as a next order...

MrProper

My vote is for buttons. I think it’s a bit more unique that way. I can’t recall (besides the one you posted) a shearling lined button front jacket. But if durability is a concern I’d chose the zip. I almost wanted to change mine to a button front but balked because I want to see how he does them, and make sure they’ll be tight enough not to worry about. Was thing of a button front Halfbelt as a next order...

My tendency is also towards the buttons. Zipper would just be easier because Shawn has this and the buttons don't. Anyway, I'm assuming that I'll change the buttons later. The buttonholes have to be reinforced because I think that the shearling is otherwise not stable enough.
Thank you for your input, because I think we have a similar taste. I think the design is slowly becoming fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24