Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Nice jacket @ton312 !
I think FiveStar does remarkable work turning out jackets like this and mine with no "recipe". The fact that it is done so quickly and for a good price is just incredible!

@ton312 how much does the jacket weigh?

Nice jacket @ton312 !
I think FiveStar does remarkable work turning out jackets like this and mine with no "recipe". The fact that it is done so quickly and for a good price is just incredible!

@ton312 how much does the jacket weigh?
That was the rather surprising part. Probably just under 5lbs. Doesn’t feel much lighter than the HWM I sold. I didn’t expect it to be as thick or stiff as it is. Part of that could be the massive patch pockets covering the entire front...I don’t know. The sleeves are softer but the cuffs are pretty rigid. I agree too it’s crazy that from the leather being cut to delivery can occur in 8-10 days. It probably won’t last. I want to bust out a nice trim HB from these guys and call it a day. I worry I could get carried away. And God knows I don’t need 800 seal brown jackets.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Jacket fit looks pretty close. Maybe hot water treatment? You can probably shrink down a quarter/half size for sure without risking the zipper issues and all that.

My jacket-- the Mr. Proper Amelia Earhart-- should be shipping out tonight. Hopefully get it early next week. I've got a bunch of leather samples coming too for the next one. Leaning towards a natural color buco style racer. But that Thedi double breasted someone else posted caught my eye. If I like their buffalo, I might see if they can copy it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
^^ yes the premium goat is nice, ask for the 1.2mm thick/heavy gain hide. My jacket has uneven thickness in panels as I didn't specify it.

Wow, I'm interested to see how a cafe racer made by them will look. Please share how you do the addition of oil/wax to your jacket, that will be cool

Before they took off here I had a J100 cafe racer made by them. It was a very good job. Goatskin and cotton drill lining. There's a photo here somewhere. It's the photo they now use on the Five Star website.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 5* landed today. I was happy to see the bag it was shipped in wasn’t ripped to bits!! Honestly that’s my only gripe, but I’m sure that translates to more economical shipping and it arrived a full five days ahead of its scheduled due date.
I’m honestly incredibly impressed with the quality. I set the bar exceedingly low expectation wise. I’ve seen the examples here that looked great but was extremely skeptical. The hide is actually marvelous. It’s thicker than I thought and has decent heft, even a bit stiff. I actually had a helluva time getting the button cuffs undone. Overall the construction is outstanding. Stitching is error free except for the area around the rivets by the front zip (not 100% congruent).
Fit is good. If I could do it over again I would take another 1” out of the elbow area. Not terribly baggy sleeves but that would help the overall look. The neck hole could be smaller as well. This jacket is tagged a 46” so I assume it’s built on that platform. I will ask he build the HB on the 44” platform. I can’t fault Shawn for anything related to size, I gave him all my numbers and he delivered them on the money. I will make some tweaks to the vintage HB sizing and get my butt right back in his remarkably speedy production queue. Some fresh out of the bag pics:
View attachment 268365 View attachment 268366 View attachment 268367 View attachment 268368

I've got to say he really delivered on this project amigo. That's a good fit too!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Before they took off here I had a J100 cafe racer made by them. It was a very good job. Goatskin and cotton drill lining. There's a photo here somewhere. It's the photo they now use on the Five Star website.

Ha, words/reviews here do travel fast huh. Did you end up keeping the jacket?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
ah good to know. The one on the website is definitely really close. I think it needs to be a little more "boxy", not so tapered. But their website photos leaves a lot to be desired, so I'm going to give them a few more photos for reference. They had one on their FB page and again, was pretty dang close, but would love to see it from different angles

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Has anyone added a shearling liner to a jacket that's too big? I suppose it would involve some cost/risk to send the jacket to Five Star, but they seem skilled enough (and offer repair services) to do the job. Hmmm...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ha, words/reviews here do travel fast huh. Did you end up keeping the jacket?

I didn't. I was never all that crazy about the goat - very thick and its qualities didn't appeal to me. But I hasten to add, I had the leather commissioned specially, it may have been rushed and I think they have improved.

I am contemplating another (I also helped them design the car coat on their site based on my old McGRegor Ramjet). Now I want a long Herc without pocket flaps and in a medium weight goat.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I didn't. I was never all that crazy about the goat - very thick and its qualities didn't appeal to me. But I hasten to add, I had the leather commissioned specially, it may have been rushed and I think they have improved.

I am contemplating another (I also helped them design the car coat on their site based on my old McGRegor Ramjet). Now I want a long Herc without pocket flaps and in a medium weight goat.

Thanks, too bad it didn't turn out as well as you were hoping for.

That would be an interesting review to read if you ever went ahead with the project.

MrProper

My new jacket is set.
As always, it's a pleasure to design something new with Shawn.
I hope we can still find a good solution for the buttons. I am thinking of reinforcements underneath.
5.jpg 4.jpg

I submitted my spec sheet this am as well for V2. One thing I distinctly wanted to change was the sleeve hole opening. It’s too large on my jacket:
C0498944-FEB5-41BB-9102-5D72B1AE8F83.jpeg

I am no artist by any means but I hope this drawing will help him dial in the specifics of fit for the Halfbelt I want this to be a tight fit:
992E3016-5007-44ED-B6AE-3FA0F21F99C4.jpeg

If you guys have suggestions about tweaking the numbers I am all ears!

Last edited:

MrProper

Might look here to see if any of the hardware for mounting canopies to boats would work for you.

Thanks a lot. These are the pictures of Sailrite that I sent Shawn as an example.

I submitted my spec sheet this am as well for V2. One thing I distinctly wanted to change was the sleeve hole opening. It’s too large on my jacket:
View attachment 268517
I am no artist by any means but I hope this drawing will help him dial in the specifics of fit for the Halfbelt I want this to be a tight fit:
View attachment 268518
mid you guys have suggestions about tweaking the numbers I am all ears!

:D Almost looks like my requirements
g8XBhYJ.jpeg IMG_6017.jpeg

What type of leather is that ?

This is the shearling that Shawn had made for his B3 and D1 flight jackets. Available in 10 mm and 20 mm.

Thanks a lot. These are the pictures of Sailrite that I sent Shawn as an example.

:D Almost looks like my requirements
View attachment 268524 View attachment 268525

This is the shearling that Shawn had made for his B3 and D1 flight jackets. Available in 10 mm and 20 mm.
I should’ve been more specific with regard to the shoulder/sleeve opening. I figured giving just the sleeve diameter at the bicep would be enough but it was not. Lesson learned!

MrProper

I should’ve been more specific with regard to the shoulder/sleeve opening. I figured giving just the sleeve diameter at the bicep would be enough but it was not. Lesson learned!

I have also learned over the years that if there is something that can be misinterpreted, it will be misinterpreted. If you get something that fits, even though you haven't specified it, it's pure coincidence or luck.
Maybe that's my German mentality, that I have little trust there :D;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana