Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Riu

Practically Family
I think Shawn is going to hate me for this, I wasn't happy with how the pockets turned out and I've asked him to redo it since it's the main feature of this design. Back to the drawing board although on the pattern it looked alright so I'm not sure what happened.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Doing the things that most people won't dare .
Pebbleling the standard steerhide shrinking and stretching it .Used a Shoe stretcher for the too small cuff .Went from 11cm to 12,5cm without destroying lining or stitching .
First wet round in the dryer 20min 60degree Celsius brings out the grain . Now trying to shorten and tighten the torso .

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_192321.jpg
    IMG_20210429_192321.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 372

Riu

Practically Family
Pebbleling the standard steerhide shrinking and stretching it .Used a Shoe stretcher for the too small cuff .Went from 11cm to 12,5cm without destroying lining or stitching .
First wet round in the dryer 20min 60degree Celsius brings out the grain . Now trying to shorten and tighten the torso .

Let's see some before&after pictures when you're done :)

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
I have been watching this thread for months...seeing Shawn's new leathers encouraged me to pull the trigger on a buy.

As an FYI, the lighter coloured brown CXL Mr. Proper posted is not representative of how it looks. Shawn sent me a fit pic of a jacket with that leather and it looks more like natural CXL.

I decided to try the 2.0 mm darker brown colour on a Bootlegger type jacket. 5* had those on their site before, so they have experience with the design. I asked for zip sleeves and actually sent a pic of one Ton312 had previously (An Aero) and basically asked for that. Zip sleeves, but the one piece back.

Any advice for me to make this as accurate as I can? I gave P2P, shoulders, back, front, bottom hem width, sleeves. Specified colour of zips, lining. Any other ideas?

He told me the jacket will be really heavy, like 4-5 kg? Yikes! The darker brown looks really good though, it's like a mix between cordovan and brown.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Smooth fabric lining in the sleeves .My Halfbelt had olive green heavy cotton twill which was almost a bit silky.
However the heavy black cotton twill is kinda rough almost denim like which makes it bad for the slim sleeves

Riu

Practically Family
I must be on ignore I guess since this is not the first time I'm not getting an answer, sweet human nature...

Riu

Practically Family
I have been watching this thread for months...seeing Shawn's new leathers encouraged me to pull the trigger on a buy.

As an FYI, the lighter coloured brown CXL Mr. Proper posted is not representative of how it looks. Shawn sent me a fit pic of a jacket with that leather and it looks more like natural CXL.

I decided to try the 2.0 mm darker brown colour on a Bootlegger type jacket. 5* had those on their site before, so they have experience with the design. I asked for zip sleeves and actually sent a pic of one Ton312 had previously (An Aero) and basically asked for that. Zip sleeves, but the one piece back.

Any advice for me to make this as accurate as I can? I gave P2P, shoulders, back, front, bottom hem width, sleeves. Specified colour of zips, lining. Any other ideas?

He told me the jacket will be really heavy, like 4-5 kg? Yikes! The darker brown looks really good though, it's like a mix between cordovan and brown.

Seems heavy indeed. I also gave the cuff measurements and middle of the body if you want a bit of taper.

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
Thing is I have no idea what the cuffs should be.

I based measurements on a number of other jackets I have. I've struggled with sizing and have never had anything just right. I'm wondering also if thick leather throws off what the pits or shoulders should be, for instance.

Riu

Practically Family
Thing is I have no idea what the cuffs should be.

I based measurements on a number of other jackets I have. I've struggled with sizing and have never had anything just right. I'm wondering also if thick leather throws off what the pits or shoulders should be, for instance.

Maybe someone who’s got a Bootlegger could give you some pointers for those cuffs. I based my measurements on a jacket that was a good fit and it worked. As for the thickness, I’m sure it makes a bit of difference if the leather is quite thick but cannot be too big anyway. The CXL from Aero was thicker than the 5 Star steer and they both fit nicely around the shoulders.

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
That's great to know. I bought and sold two previous Aeros due to sizing. 44 shoulders, too tight at 19.5. size 48 too much at 21.

I got a vintage Brooks CR last week, size 48. Shoulders are 20, feels a wee bit tight. So I asked Shawn for 20.5.

I made similar size asks for the other dimensions. I like the idea of taper; asked for 24.5 pits, 21 across the bottom.

I hit mine with an atomic bomb. Warm water bath. The steer does seem to stretch when wet. Not dry quite yet. There was considerable color loss. I may finish up with a dye job. Seems like it’ll be days if not a week before it’s fully dry.
12B26F19-B628-4FCA-9D43-4B0784CCFCCF.jpeg

8F7A1037-77B9-4D80-8B39-544D7D99278A.jpeg

The grain looks great! How do you work on the shoulder area? I was thinking to try and do something on the CR
Your CR is steer? I think the steer is prone to stretch after a soaking. Wait u til mine is fully dirty and I’ll report. I do not see it returning to its previous shape.

Reactions: Riu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana