Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MoFo

Familiar Face
There is a big difference between the steer and the goat, I thought it's not that noticeable but I took a picture today of the Cr and my second jacket and the goat has got much more character. After wearing the CR in the past months, shows very little signs of wear so I understand why Shawn is considering this as a good leather for fashion jacket. The goat on the other hand already develops some creases and it's just a different story.

View attachment 335802

What kind of goat is that? Black Five * "regular" goat or the "better" one?
I'm thinking of an black A-2...

Riu

Practically Family
What kind of goat is that? Black Five * "regular" goat or the "better" one?
I'm thinking of an black A-2...

It's the premium black goatskin. Shawn said it's 1.3mm although it seems thicker to me.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes sorry, it was waxed and ironed by them to be shinier. I don't know if the whole process is helping with the leather development but it definitely doesn't look dull anymore.
I think it helped. Because I have the same leather on my Cafe racer, but it looks less grainy and has less character. I would order just like you next time.

Reactions: Riu

Riu

Practically Family
I think it helped. Because I have the same leather on my Cafe racer, but it looks less grainy and has less character. I would order just like you next time.

I'm with you on this one, I wasn't expecting to get such results after this treatment so I'd say it's worth giving it a try. This is how it looks now after more wear.

IMG_9457.JPG
IMG_9468.JPG

Riu

Practically Family
One of the best 5* jackets. top.

Thank you, it helped a lot to take notes from your posts with measurements :)

I think they proved they can make good jackets, they just need some nice hides and some consistency in their work as it's not always at the same level. They need more attention to details and I also feel an area they can improve is pattern design but I get what they do for their main business and it's not this.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Interesting creasing .My hide looks exactly the same in appearance after waxing it myself but it doesn't have those heavy creases .I wonder if they just call it wax . Some leather tanneage suppliers sell sheen finishes that are polymer based .It could be some kind of finish that soaks into the top grain that stiffens it up a little .That would explain the thick feeling leather to me since the goat is very supple .

As a matter of fact I found out that they have compounds to fill in stich holes on heavy paint finished hides.

Riu

Practically Family
Interesting creasing .My hide looks exactly the same in appearance after waxing it myself but it doesn't have those heavy creases .I wonder if they just call it wax . Some leather tanneage suppliers sell sheen finishes that are polymer based .It could be some kind of finish that soaks into the top grain that stiffens it up a little .That would explain the thick feeling leather to me since the goat is very supple .

As a matter of fact I found out that they have compounds to fill in stich holes on heavy paint finished hides.

I'm not sure what they used exactly. I spoke to Shawn about waxing and buffing the leather and he said he would recommend ironing instead and I told him to go for it. I was expecting the leather to be much softer too.

AE878654-F5F1-4BBE-A427-2F46C90007A2.jpeg

After wearing it most of the day yesterday I decided it needed one more coat of cordovan to achieve the richest color. At the risk of losing some of the interesting mottled fruit tones, another coat was applied. I think it’s at its best and inevitably final point. The leather has reached its saturation point for color and is now a true cordovan.
Yesterday:
CD24F513-C48F-40BF-8A2D-BA3D8EBBFB67.jpeg
80183289-D524-4B92-8902-A07D28FD7A8B.jpeg

Today, freshly waxed so a bit shiny yet:
0EE4B70B-F390-4188-ABD3-5AC6D6F725DB.jpeg
221EE64A-C267-4A27-8C0D-B0DD7C0D787C.jpeg
A91DADF9-A395-4DAC-902B-2DB7907CA1AF.jpeg

No further changes are in store for this jacket until I decide it should’ve been green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy