Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think for the Indie jacket to work it has to drape. That kinda works against the nature of stiffer leather. As much as I am a big fan of 5Star, I would go with Wested for the Indie jacket. They are kinda the original, and I would just order whatever they made for the Indie film.
But everything else, I would go with what Shawn has to offer.

I think we are all coming from different direction trying to get to the same spot with 5Star, which is:

Grainy cowhide, 3.5 oz (1.4mm) minimum thickness, prefer 4 oz (1.6mm) thickness, PLIABLE, RICH DEPTH in the finishing (not mono tone like the goat), and DARKER BROWN (not russet), and a Black version too.

^^^If you agree / disagree with this leather suggestion, please speak up!

Pandemic

One Too Many
What do you all think of Shawn’s D Pocket pattern? I’m thinking about using that as the base for a custom order, tweaking design details and providing precise measurements.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What do you all think of Shawn’s D Pocket pattern? I’m thinking about using that as the base for a custom order, tweaking design details and providing precise measurements.

I have the custom sized Cycle Queen copy (I didn’t know it was a girl jacket until much later, oh well). I would assume the Buco copy is the same pattern block but different pockets in the front.
I would suggest black goat, thickest possible, and get the detachable mouton collar.
Here’s mine, it was one of my earlier crazy idea builds.
9A8EC01D-D1F2-42BA-9FE4-A8B6D9262F44.jpeg
719F8FAA-6316-4501-8307-49DDC0ADB11C.jpeg

I didn’t know about the bigger zippers then. I would recommend that over the smaller zipper too.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have the custom sized Cycle Queen copy (I didn’t know it was a girl jacket until much later, oh well). I would assume the Buco copy is the same pattern block but different pockets in the front.
I would suggest black goat, thickest possible, and get the detachable mouton collar.
View attachment 345775 View attachment 345776
I didn’t know about the bigger zippers then. I would recommend that over the smaller zipper too.
This is actually pretty cool. It's awesome. This is the best I've seen from 5*. Together with @torfjord trucker and @Riu custom premium goatskin jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is looks like the cycle king btw. The queen has two patch pockets of the same size, at the same height.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is looks like the cycle king btw. The queen has two patch pockets of the same size, at the same height.
Whew…. That’s a relief! Thanks! Not that there’s anything wrong with dudes wearing women’s jackets but I am not quite there, yet…. Haha… except trench coats, I always thought they were the same for men and women.

Mrkurtz

New in Town
I was thinking about trying a five star product. However there is not much information on their website. You all seem to know every kind of leather they have available and what’s coming in next. Where do you go to find your in-depth information on their product line? Thank you in advance.

Catullus

New in Town
I was thinking about trying a five star product. However there is not much information on their website. You all seem to know every kind of leather they have available and what’s coming in next. Where do you go to find your in-depth information on their product line? Thank you in advance.

I think that's a great question. They have some basic information available on the site under materials and customization. In addition to that, I can add a little more from what he said about suede and he sent me the attached picture of suede.

DSC_8422 copy.jpg

Riu

Practically Family
Hi guys,

Stole these from style forum. This is a RRL jacket called "Griggs".

Do y'all think he can make this jacket?

Thanks

@ton312 is right, I’d just say be very specific. Whatever detail you want, measure it and put on the specs sheet. Send pictures too, less room for interpretation.

Riu

Practically Family

You’ll probably find more information here than on the website. Most of the leathers they’ve got are available to see in this thread and if you want any details about a specific hide maybe asking here might get you a good feedback.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Man, that's just a cool jacket! You have quite a love for cross zip and in quite the different flavors too.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Five Star has a large selection of leathers, but actually only the premium goat in black or seal and the shearling in seal are really good.
I would not recommend anything else at the moment.
Maybe the thick steerhide too, which I only know from the pocket of my vest.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys,

Stole these from style forum. This is a RRL jacket called "Griggs".

Do y'all think he can make this jacket?

Thanks

Yes, he sure can. but very likely you will get other buttons. or you pull the buttons and sew them yourself or send them to him. Same with the press studs on the pockets.
everything that is not exactly specified and leaves room for interpretation is a matter of luck.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Man, that's just a cool jacket! You have quite a love for cross zip and in quite the different flavors too.
Thanks man! I had a lot of failures too, I just shove them under the rug. Haha. But overall it’s been good experience. That’s the 5star allure for me, Shawn is open minded and doesn’t resist trying new things. His prices also helps.
Five Star has a large selection of leathers, but actually only the premium goat in black or seal and the shearling in seal are really good.
I would not recommend anything else at the moment.
Maybe the thick steerhide too, which I only know from the pocket of my vest.
Yes, he sure can. but very likely you will get other buttons. or you pull the buttons and sew them yourself or send them to him. Same with the press studs on the pockets.
everything that is not exactly specified and leaves room for interpretation is a matter of luck.
^^^This is true. Best advise and tips you can get for better results with 5star.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
He can usually source buttons . Just ask him what he has . He can def copy that jacket to your measurements . That what he does.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@F Man here is the photo of the armhole with measure. My other jackets are anywhere between 9.5-10" diameter for the armhole. It might be better to go with a 10" diameter so you have more option for layering and might be better comfort wise as well

IMG_5036.jpg

nattevagten

A-List Customer
What's their best sleeve lining for warm weather? The site mentions polyester, satin polyester, and cotton twill. I simply asked for cotton for my CR (assumed they'd use cotton drill), but it's really itchy and simply not comfortable on the skin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points