Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead A-List Customer

most of us haven't gotten our first jacket perfect, so you're in good company.

It's definitely a preference thing, but 6 inches is way too big IMO. I think 3-4 chest, and like 1.5-2.5 body. Bottom hem I go pretty skinny, like 1. But I live in Los Angeles, so I'm not layering under jacket, pretty much can wear with Tshirt or thin long sleeve/hoodie.

The build looks good though. I was working on a very elaborate mock up of a J100 but put it aside. Just decided to do it top of the line with Field Leathers and call it a day. There's a couple frankenstein sort of builds in the military genre I'm thinking about though for fun jackets, so I'd go back to 5 Star for those. But now having access to several more jackets, I think the leather is fine, but it's not wow factor. Not expecting magic for $300 so it's not like I'm disappointed, you just need to understand what you're getting. I think the create your own model is well worth the money for sure. And it's just damn fun. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some disappointed threads coming up. You really need to understand the measurements. Luckily a lot of people have paved the road, so if you put the time into reading this thread and a few others, you'll definitely increase the odds in your favor.

Alexlutov, Cornelius, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  2. CRP

CRP New in Town

I hear ya bro. Fivestar for me is the perfect place to experiment with my fit without costing me a fortune in headache and time. Pretty happy with this first attempt and can hopefully dial in the next one. I just love getting the exact thing I want to my measurements (and fit is everything). Granted horsehide or some of the other leathers may be more exciting, but nothing seems to be as comfortable or durable as goat. Hopefully, I can get the shoulder peaks smoothed out as well and then all will be perfect in the world. Its scratching my itch for now! :)

ton312 and JustinW like this.
  3. ton312

ton312

I think that looks pretty damn good!! Little extra room in the body but overall solid!!

4. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

My FiveStar has suede lining on the cuffs and collars only. For contrast . Using the “golden” color. I guess just cause I could I did.
    9A5B831B-C8C4-41E6-BAEE-47A803B589C5.jpeg 9F43FD2A-3441-4924-82F3-79AE3FD730FD.jpeg

5. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

I also want a cafe racer from Five-star. I'm struggling with measurements though. My previous jacket from them fits tighter unless I have only light T-shirt or wool shirt underneath. I would like to be able to layer a t-shirt and sweater under the CR without it being too baggy overall.
    Are you saying you got your body measurements plus 6 inches in the chest and waist? I feel like your jacket looks good but would be too roomy of a fit for my liking. Could you please clarify how Shawn applied the 6 inch addition? Thanks!

JustinW likes this.
  6. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

When you talk about adding, do you mean your body measurement for each area plus 3-4"....so if my chest is 45", plus 4" gives 49" divided by 2, thus ask for a pit to pit of 24.5"?

7. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Yep, exactly. On waist and bottom hem, you do half since you usually give 1 side. So if you measure a 40 hip (bottom hem), that's 20 + .5 for me to get a snug fit (equals 41 total measurement)

Hobbes1 likes this.
  8. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Where ever it fits tighter, add a little to that measurement. Just keep in mind how the math works. So lets say you want an extra inch in the chest to fit a sweater, you're adding .5 to ptp measurement.

Hobbes1 likes this.
  9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

The sample pack arrived from @Will Zach today... I think that the Seal Goat has the best color, but the Distressed Buffalo has my favorite texture. I might need to do some experimenting before sending these to @Claybertrand....i have also found the epitome of a 40s half-belt to work out the numbers with!
    BBF6ABBE-CDA1-4287-8284-EF7343937439.jpeg
    CB733D4A-F685-4E13-9F74-B1354F07F133.jpeg
    F72D7443-13B6-4DBA-B96D-954A3EF5C08B.jpeg

10. CRP

CRP New in Town

To clarify, I asked for a jacket I could wear with a light sweater underneath. Shawn at Fivestar suggested adding 6 to my body circumference measurement: chest 45"+6"=51", waist 38"/belly 39"/natural waist 38"=45". The chest ended up being snug with a sweater, but perfect with a t-shirt. The waist ended up way too large, so I'm having it reduced by another 2".
    Fivestar CR Chest.JPG

Jin431 likes this.
  11. CRP

CRP New in Town

Waist with additional 6" was too large and did not taper enough:

Attached Files:

Jin431 and Hobbes1 like this.
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Even with 37” being my belly measurement, a 19.5” bottom hem fits great. So I’m like 2” bigger than actual measurement on a slim-fit jacket...6” is nuts!

Benny Holiday likes this.
  13. CRP

CRP New in Town

T-shirt only or with thin sweater? 2" is very trim. I'm in Michigan, so it gets a little chilly every now and then. SoCal probably not so much. I'm trimming my jacket going down to 4" spread in the waist, but I'm not brave enough to try a 2" spread like some of you veteran leather jacket aficionados. At least not yet!

Zoo likes this.
  14. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

In time ;)...
    I can wear mine with a sweatshirt or light sweater, but Michigan- oof. Maybe some sort of insulating vest would work.

15. JustinW

JustinW One of the Regulars

I’m still tempted to order a CR from them ...

Bahabp100 likes this.
  16. Zoo

Zoo Familiar Face

I hear you, I am starting to look at jackets with a quilted lining to wear until it's really cold enough to pull out my shearling jacket.

17. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

My Sears long half-belt is done in Seal Brown goat. Didn't bother with samples.

I sent just one email to Shawn with photos, measurements and specs (some thanks to ton's work - collar and sleeve opening and bicep width) and he sent one back.

Here's a sneak peak.

5star.jpg

18. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Cripes... now I want to make a copy of the cool half-belt jacket Handymike just posted.

AeroFan_07, ton312 and Zoo like this.
  19. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

Exactly
    I like my jackets to be tight or well-fitting, so the jacket measurements are close to my body measurements, depending on the material thickness and desired space.
    Most of the jackets have half body circumference plus 1.5" to 1.75".
    So with a chest size of 43.3" in the relaxed state, this results in a jacket p2p of 23.2" to 23.5" and at 34.25" hip I have 19.3" to 20" jacket waistband. For the natural waist I usually take the same measurement as the jacket waistband.

Hobbes1 likes this.
  20. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Having suede lining on small details like that is something else entirely. Quite clever and looks good too. I was referring to the idea to have the whole thing lined in suede.

Bahabp100 likes this.