Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Anyone have one? How is it holding up? Any caveats or things you wish you'd done differently when ordering?

I have recently ordered and received a Sheene type jacket from 5*, in steerhide. I like the jacket a lot and I learned a few things about how my measurements need to change a bit for the next one. To that end, I'm specifically interested in the CR type for my next jacket and would appreciate pics and/or experiences with 5* for this style jacket.

Thanks

My personal experience with this style jacket is that if you don’t ride -a slightly narrower shoulder looks better. I usually go with 17.5”, but in a CR I feel 16.75”-17” looks better. Neck collar height also comes into play as well as strap length. I find that I prefer a little dangle opposed to the j-100 style.
Shoulder gussets are also a choice. Again, if not riding, I prefer a cleaner back design. Think about sleeve taper and body taper. My favorite CR also has the sleeve zippers on the top of the sleeve.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
The base model on there now, looks like a good start. Like everything else on their website, there's a lot to be desired because the amount of photos and quality of those photos aren't great, so you just need to fine tune any potential trouble spots or personal preferences. For me, I think the sleeves are too baggy and aren't tapered enough, don't like where the sleeve zippers are positioned, and the cut is a little too boxy (probably can be addressed by your measurements). But I'm not a motorcycle rider, so looking for more clean lines than bike functionality.

I was getting started with Shawn on a full redesign based on a lot of styles I like (FL, SB, Aero Board Racer, and of course the original J100). But I've since backed off. I want this jacket to be my trophy grail item so I just went all in with FL where I know I'm going to be wearing this thing until the day I die, and the leather and the craftmanship are going to be top notch, albeit at a much larger price. But I didn't want to risk another $300-350 guinea pig donation either and be zinged because I didn't think about mentioning where a button should be placed or how thick a flap should be, etc. etc.

I'm waiting to see how my current Five Star jacket breaks in and wears over time. My gut is telling me that the leather is good, but is pretty heavily treated, I'm not expecting it to evolve much other than maybe some color cracking. As most of us have surmised, you get a really good jacket for the price point. But you do have to micro manage the details. And most of us have had our first custom built jacket be like 75-90% there. So it requires some time and money investment to end up with what you really want.

I'm considering buying another military style jacket that I know they have a lot of experience with, maybe just play with the pocket position or something like that. And more importantly, that will just be a fun jacket for me at a $250 price point, so not expecting Shinki or Horween, etc. But even then, I'm going to give it a few months to see what I have now.

For me, if you really really want an Aero BR, or FL Route 66, then buy that. Save up for it, get lucky on classifieds, etc. But no doubt 5 Star has a place for certain jackets, old vintage repro that just don't exist, or just for the fun of the process of creating something new. Or like I said, stuff they already do with pretty good track record. I think it's awesome you can get an A2 with a perfect fit for you avoiding the baggyness of the body, or squareness of the shoulders, etc. etc. of buying something stock. But you really need to understand your measurements and do a good job of communicating that to them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The J100ish jacket on the website was mine. It was very well made and needed some tweaking - my specs. Shoulders were 19 inches across in a size 42 (23 pit to pit). It appeared to be as well made as an Aero, but with lesser materials. I didn't like the goat finish or strong chemical smell. After 8 to 12 weeks I donated it to a charity bin. I've had two Five Star jackets and on my limited experience I was not a fan of the goat they used then (12 months ago) but it is thick and heavy.

CRP

New in Town
The J100ish jacket on the website was mine. It was very well made and needed some tweaking - my specs. Shoulders were 19 inches across in a size 42 (23 pit to pit). It appeared to be as well made as an Aero, but with lesser materials. I didn't like the goat finish or strong chemical smell. After 8 to 12 weeks I donated it to a charity bin. I've had two Five Star jackets and on my limited experience I was not a fan of the goat they used then (12 months ago) but it is thick and heavy.
Seb - How was the chest and waist fit on your jacket? I am ordering a modified version of your jacket and Shawn is recommending a 6" addition to body measurements for the jacket: chest 45"=51" jacket, waist 39"= 45" jacket, also neck 17"=18.5" inner circumference. I am looking for a jacket fit which permits me to wear a thin sweater underneath. Let me know your thoughts on fit.

Thanks

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb - How was the chest and waist fit on your jacket? I am ordering a modified version of your jacket and Shawn is recommending a 6" addition to body measurements for the jacket: chest 45"=51" jacket, waist 39"= 45" jacket, also neck 17"=18.5" inner circumference. I am looking for a jacket fit which permits me to wear a thin sweater underneath. Let me know your thoughts on fit.

Thanks

I'm not as concerned about fit as some people here so I am not the best person to ask. In any jacket I order I just get a 23 inch chest, 26 sleeve, 27 back, 19 shoulder. It fit fairly trim. I have a 40 inch chest measured and am six two with a 33 inch waist. If I do custom again I may well consider waist and neck.

CRP

New in Town
I'm not as concerned about fit as some people here so I am not the best person to ask. In any jacket I order I just get a 23 inch chest, 26 sleeve, 27 back, 19 shoulder. It fit fairly trim. I have a 40 inch chest measured and am six two with a 33 inch waist. If I do custom again I may well consider waist and neck.
Seb - great to know you got the size 42 and it fit you trim with a 40 inch chest - website says a size 42 has chest circumference of 48 inch chest. I guess I'll take a shot at the recommended size 46 with my 45 inch chest. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Seb - great to know you got the size 42 and it fit you trim with a 40 inch chest - website says a size 42 has chest circumference of 48 inch chest. I guess I'll take a shot at the recommended size 46 with my 45 inch chest. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
My suggestion. Completely ignore their size chart and give them the measurements you want. line by line, detail by detail as many of us have noted our experiences on like 3 or 4 different threads now LOL. Think all these threads are getting jumbled. But you're asking for pain going by their chart.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My suggestion. Completely ignore their size chart and give them the measurements you want. line by line, detail by detail as many of us have noted our experiences on like 3 or 4 different threads now LOL. Think all these threads are getting jumbled. But you're asking for pain going by their chart.

That's how I approach all makers. It can only ever be the measurements. In Aeros, for instance, I am a 38, 42, 44 depending on the pattern and iteration of that pattern.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I didn't go by their sizes. I gave them my measurements. Don't do anything. else. I went with a principle that my idea of a 42 tends to be 23 inches pit to pit. I think their sizes can be safely ignored. Sorry for the confusion.

CRP

New in Town
I didn't go by their sizes. I gave them my measurements. Don't do anything. else. I went with a principle that my idea of a 42 tends to be 23 inches pit to pit. I think their sizes can be safely ignored. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for clarifying.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
CF6FB71E-659B-45FA-8FE7-F763298494E9.jpeg
3C8801C5-9FEF-49CE-B55E-8CCE9C742556.jpeg
E085D194-4640-4F7E-B689-3B95E4448990.jpeg
I told Shawn from FiveStar that friends on the TFL recommend this technique for distressing sleeves

This is how it should be done to make it look natural
View attachment 275292
Fill up the sleeve, crease it up a little and then apply wax.[/QUOTE]
Thank you @Marc mndt for the direction

Last edited:

RILO

One of the Regulars
I submitted my spec sheet this am as well for V2. One thing I distinctly wanted to change was the sleeve hole opening. It’s too large on my jacket:
View attachment 268517
I am no artist by any means but I hope this drawing will help him dial in the specifics of fit for the Halfbelt I want this to be a tight fit:
View attachment 268518
If you guys have suggestions about tweaking the numbers I am all ears!
992e3016-5007-44ed-b6ae-3fa0f21f99c4-jpeg.268518

@Ton can I please borrow your drawing/sketch.
I promise to bring it back...:D

Claybertrand

One Too Many
992e3016-5007-44ed-b6ae-3fa0f21f99c4-jpeg.268518

@Ton can I please borrow your drawing/sketch.
I promise to bring it back...:D

I wonder if you shouldn't also go into more detail on your sleeves as to diameter going down the sleeve. I assume you want to have some taper to them. May wanna specify your sleeve diameter at the elbow and especially the cuff diameters lest you get stuck with the dreaded STRAIGHT PANT LEG sized cuffs. Ton did this with his All Weather because as I recall, the subject jacket he based his design on had pretty wide diameter sleeves and cuffs.

Just my 2 cents---- I haven't taken the plunge yet but have been accumulating data and tons of photos of what I want so I can include them with my order. I just don't trust my own renderings to be interpreted as I intend them as to jacket details but for sizing, I think a rough sketch is fine as long as its detailed and specific.

From the members who have ordered, they advise that the measurements need to be a specific as possible---and then go back and be even MORE specific. I am planning to send them measurements in a drawing (or notations overlaying a photo) and various jacket photos for every element of the design. All I've had time for so far is to accumulate design ideas and rough fit preferences but all of you guys are really helping the rest of us with your experiences. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk