Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

unfortunately no daylight.
    Difficult to compare as the Aero is a curly shearling and also has a different top coat. The top coat of the 5 * seems thicker and feels more like plastic, whereas the Aero feels more like leather. it would be interesting to compare Aero's normal shearling. But I do think that the Aero is a bit better, which doesn't mean the 5 * is bad. I like to wear both.
    6FA78DA4-D065-44E0-B87C-850B0C446150.jpeg 993EC91D-306F-4D3A-A70F-44529F065526.jpeg

Berto likes this.
  2. Berto

Berto New in Town

Thanks Mrproper.

Good pics to compare both jackets

3. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead A-List Customer

I'm eyeing that RAF Battle of Britain on Aero page. I wonder if it's same thickness as your Coastal Command. I have a B3 and really love it, but it's impractical for all day use. More for like quick dog walk or sitting by fire pit. I still want a sherpa style that I can wear "stylishly" so I think I need the thinner shearling and a more flattering cut.

4. MrProper

^^
    the 10mm are perfect for this. is great to wear.

Cornelius and Berto like this.
  5. Berto

Berto New in Town

Mrproper,

your coastel is 15mm and your 5* is 10mm?

6. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

View attachment 282491 [/QUOTE]
    Here are some pictures of the tapered sleeve measurements from FiveStar as suggested by TFL experts

Attached Files:

torfjord likes this.
  7. MrProper

The 5 * is 10mm and I don't know the Aero. I would rather assume 10 mm than 15 mm, but since they are more curly, that might be deceptive. In comparison, I would think the Aero is a tad warmer.

Berto likes this.
  8. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

You and I share the same taste. From the graining and character standpoint, I have always liked that Buffalo the best of the hides 5* offers but didn't like the distressed look. From the thickness, hide durability and color stand point, I like the premium Goat in Seal. I have said that perhaps the Goldilocks Zone would be the Buffalo in non distressed Seal. Shawn has said that they are doing the distressing treatments in house and he has said he can accommodate any request.

I wonder if Buffalo Seal can be done?? Further, I was concerned or at least wondering if the distressing is being done to hide imperfections in the hide. If this were the case, perhaps getting it in Seal may not hide the imperfections as well or at all. OR, it could just be that no one has ever just asked for non distressed Buffalo Seal.

One of the unique things about Goat is its potential graining. I don't see a lot of graining in the various 5* Goat hides but that Buffalo has mucho graining!!!

9. CRP

CRP New in Town

MrProper - you are running about a 4" spread in chest circumference and 6" spread in waist circumference. I am finding in the CR jacket the 6" spread in the chest is almost too tight and 6" spread in waist is too loose. I wonder if it is due to the arm attachments.

Are you making your 5* jackets with the sleeve is attached "STRAIGHT AND INLINE" with the shoulder line? This not only has an impact on the shoulder peaks when raising the arm, but also may make the jacket chest feel more comfortable. Let me know your thoughts. Also, ton312 - are you attaching arms/sleeves straight to the shoulder line or at an angle like most suits/jackets? Both of you seem to have mastered the fit for 5*, so appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

10. MrProper

so sorry, I confused waist size with hip. Hip is 35.8" and not 34.25". So the difference between the body and the jacket on the hips is 3.2" to 4", depending on the material. 3.7" on the chest.
    But it's not so tight that only a T-shirt will fit. A sweater also fits underneath.

My sleeves are not straight in line, but have an angle. I'm also not sure whether straight in line works well with every type of jacket. If the shoulders fit well, you can do it with an angle. 1/2 "too wide and it looks boxy. It's probably a good idea to keep the angle as small as possible without overdoing it.

I guess this doesn't look that boxy.
    1B2625D8-3C25-48A0-9D4A-A479F97D166C.jpeg

here the angle is a little too steep and with the style of the jacket straight in line could be an advantage.
    17F76853-CE5D-48AB-9737-A5154F1FD3EB.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Cornelius and JustinW like this.
  11. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit One of the Regulars

Is that the distressed cowhide? It looks great. I wonder what an A-2 in that would be like. . .

JustinW likes this.
  12. Bahabp100

Distressed brown stock goat hide

13. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit One of the Regulars

Brown, not seal? Sorry to nitpick, I'm seriously contemplating getting a Bronco in this hide, I want to be specific. Thanks.

14. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead A-List Customer

Some of us are doing like 1 or 2 on chest. I guess it all depends. If you're using for motor cycle riding, you probably need more comfort. But for fashion, if you want snug, anything more that 4 is going to be baggy. Just visualize what that means. Basically 2 inch gap on each side of your chest or like 3 fingers width.

What might be causing the compression is the tight sleeve opening or narrow shoulder. That's where a shoulder gusset can help so you stay slim but give a little more range of motion.

15. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

I have a 43' chest circumference and most of my jackets have a 22' ptp. So that's 1 on the chest. Enough room for a t-shirt / shirt but too tight for a knit sweater.

JustinW likes this.
  16. Bahabp100

39E2CA3C-256A-4EB8-ABDB-95FF96CA5ACA.jpeg 9517AB71-6FDB-4AAE-A002-CF1022D7D2FE.jpeg 58877801-8C6B-4887-80AE-9161F637EC8C.jpeg E9EAF57D-A89A-4804-ADB9-07C5587D1174.jpeg
    theses are the distress experiments that Shawn performed on a variety of leathers for me to choose but I don’t know the exact leathers but you can ask him and show the pictures 8C9F809D-BE97-4454-AC8E-DE551ACF2444.jpeg
    the trucker on left the new one on right and they are different colors and you’re not nitpicking at all but you should confirm the following info with Shawn to confirm about “Mr Stephen’s” orders

The trucker was stock brown distressed stock goat with stock threads and lining

The other jacket (newer one) was distressed dark conic or “cognac” 1.2 premium goat with brown threads and brown #2 lining. It is noticeably nicer leather. This one was subject to several distressing after a handful of experiments as documented above

17. Bahabp100

A6F32077-ACC8-49C6-AA45-6C11517097C3.jpeg
    these are the original picture which may be seal subject to 5* confirmation I was never sure since there were so many colors and finishes. C1815E7F-23BE-48C8-82CB-6255BF5284E1.jpeg C1815E7F-23BE-48C8-82CB-6255BF5284E1.jpeg 358DFD06-D2F9-44C8-A3EA-81812AFFBA78.jpeg CB28E75A-951F-431A-BBAD-481B83D0B2E5.jpeg 417BA4EC-12DB-4FB1-90D5-E208EC711761.jpeg
    I did think the first sample he showed me was seal but I never confirmed but some people here thought it was seal so again you have to confirm the picture colors with Shawn. This is what I thought was seal in the original 3 pictures Ultimately the jacket looked like this but it looks better in the flash pictures. I never knew if they were the same jackets honestly
    CC5AF9E7-9BC4-44CD-9EAD-8A14051829D0.jpeg

18. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

I don’t get what straight in line or at an angle refers to? I’m thinking about ordering from 5star, is this something that can be customised?

I’m not arguing against the fit of your jackets as they all look amazing on you, but damn that’s a tight fit. I have a 40 inch chest and my tightest fitting jacket is 21.5, which feels almost skintight to me. Most are around 22.5 which I find to be comfortable without looking bulky. Don’t you feel restricted in a 22” p2p jacket?

19. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

It depends on the hight of the armholes. The Thedi and the FL both have pretty high armholes and yes, they do feel restrictive when worn with a sweater. Honestly, I can only wear those with a shirt.
    The Thedi I bought last week had a 23' ptp which was too wide imo. I think I'm going to try 22.5' for my next FL build because it would be nice to have a jacket I can comfortably wear with a knit sweater.

torfjord and Cornelius like this.
  20. MrProper

This is described in this thread.
    https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/fivestar-leather-a2-jacket.21625/page-44#post-289143

If the sleeve is a straight extension of the shoulder, it becomes less boxy. Perhaps this can best be compared to a raglan cut. In contrast, a classic Sacco, where the shoulder / sleeve angle is quite large.

torfjord likes this.