Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I figured it was a matter of time before prices start going. When I had mine made, just sending him my liner was like $75 bucks, so I could only imagine what sending a full leather jacket must run him.

Earlier in this thread many pages ago we sorta broke down the cost, on a conservative end the shipping alone was $50, then you figure in the full customizations and even small batches of leather, etc, the $350 price seemed like Shawn was doing market research and marketing.

I think they're starting to find their stride with the military repro market, so these side projects are no longer necessary especially with all the headaches that must come with it. I still think that there's alot of value at their current price point, but these are aspiration purchases as they say and not routine.

I figured it was a matter of time before prices start going. When I had mine made, just sending him my liner was like $75 bucks, so I could only imagine what sending a full leather jacket must run him.

Earlier in this thread many pages ago we sorta broke down the cost, on a conservative end the shipping alone was $50, then you figure in the full customizations and even small batches of leather, etc, the $350 price seemed like Shawn was doing market research and marketing.

I think they're starting to find their stride with the military repro market, so these side projects are no longer necessary especially with all the headaches that must come with it. I still think that there's alot of value at their current price point, but these are aspiration purchases as they say and not routine.
Full custom for $350 delivered is a great deal, even with the inevitable “but” that comes with it. $400 for stock pattern, leather, etc is not a good deal b/c of the inevitable “but”.

MadCat

Familiar Face
Full custom for $350 delivered is a great deal, even with the inevitable “but” that comes with it. $400 for stock pattern, leather, etc is not a good deal b/c of the inevitable “but”.
I think they are still worth it. The jackets look so great on you!

Observe

One Too Many
Got the G1 from 5* today. Didn't have a chance to take pics or do more than a quick try-on. Jacket seems cleanly made with no major issues. I think i chose the right size at 44. Could just be the stiff new leather but the underarm footballs seem very bulky and perhaps not performing their intended function. I'll try to get a few pics for you all to see over the next couple days.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Got the G1 from 5* today. Didn't have a chance to take pics or do more than a quick try-on. Jacket seems cleanly made with no major issues. I think i chose the right size at 44. Could just be the stiff new leather but the underarm footballs seem very bulky and perhaps not performing their intended function. I'll try to get a few pics for you all to see over the next couple days.
IMG_4654.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pics of the G1 (fur collar removed in some). Had to crouch a bit to fit in the frame, if my posture seems weird to you.
View attachment 519921 View attachment 519922 View attachment 519923 View attachment 519924 View attachment 519925
What do you guys think of the fit?
From the front I find them quite good, even if the knitted hem are a bit high/long for my taste.
From behind it wouldn't be my thing as the action back looks way too hefty.
Is this jacket based on an original? Because an action back in the form I would not have noticed.
I know 5* definitely struggled with that in the early days.

Edit:
I have looked at a few pictures again. I am almost certain that this is an ancient pattern. The fold of the action back is clearly too far over the shoulder. On original jackets, there is still a space between the shoulder seam and the action back. At least according to my humble knowledge.

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
From the front I find them quite good, even if the knitted hem are a bit high/long for my taste.
From behind it wouldn't be my thing as the action back looks way too hefty.
Is this jacket based on an original? Because an action back in the form I would not have noticed.
I know 5* definitely struggled with that in the early days.

Edit:
I have looked at a few pictures again. I am almost certain that this is an ancient pattern. The fold of the action back is clearly too far over the shoulder. On original jackets, there is still a space between the shoulder seam and the action back. At least according to my humble knowledge.
I'd have to look at other G1 pics to compare but I see what you're saying about the back.

I guess this destroys the theory that this model is based off the Buzz Rickson’s William Gibson G1 pattern?

Observe

One Too Many
This would be a buzz rickson.
Of course, it's possible that the worn one looks like yours. But I don't quite believe it.
View attachment 519999
Pic from here of someone selling same jacket (the BR):
G1back.jpeg
I see where you're coming from. It's not a deal breaker for me though. It'll probably calm down a bit once the leather breaks in.

It's not on the same level as a BR, and for that we should be grateful given the price disparity.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have been looking for a black G-1 for long time, mainly the BR one on used market but no luck. Both the 5Star one and the Johnson one (Jacketjunkie jacket) are of interest to me. I sort of lean toward the JL one more at this point because I can get black CXL but that's a different story.

Anyways, @Observe, I think your G-1 is great, and thanks for posting the pics. I don't think there is an issue with the action back because mine also looks like that, and these are contract specific repros from famous Japanese brands.
IMG_2569.jpg

I think once the elastic loosen up the sleeves won't look as tucked into the action back as much. Both my jackets above are used so the elastic has already given up a lot. When new the sleeve would also tuck into the center back.

What I do think can improve on the 5star one is the bottom knit. If it was longer, there will not be as much leather bunched up at the center back bottom. This is a problem with a lot of A2 jackets imo. The elastic leather isn't a good look but perhaps that's how it was on certain contracts.

Image1.jpg

G-1 was and still is one of the best patterns around. Some motorcycle jackets has carried the torch onwards. The full action back and the under arm footballs means this pattern can be worn skin tight in the torso but still better arm movement than jackets with bigger ease everywhere. A true gem. And I am craving the 5star one in thick black goat with a wax finish...

Observe

One Too Many
I have been looking for a black G-1 for long time, mainly the BR one on used market but no luck. Both the 5Star one and the Johnson one (Jacketjunkie jacket) are of interest to me. I sort of lean toward the JL one more at this point because I can get black CXL but that's a different story.

Anyways, @Observe, I think your G-1 is great, and thanks for posting the pics. I don't think there is an issue with the action back because mine also looks like that, and these are contract specific repros from famous Japanese brands.
View attachment 520282

I think once the elastic loosen up the sleeves won't look as tucked into the action back as much. Both my jackets above are used so the elastic has already given up a lot. When new the sleeve would also tuck into the center back.

What I do think can improve on the 5star one is the bottom knit. If it was longer, there will not be as much leather bunched up at the center back bottom. This is a problem with a lot of A2 jackets imo. The elastic leather isn't a good look but perhaps that's how it was on certain contracts.

View attachment 520283

G-1 was and still is one of the best patterns around. Some motorcycle jackets has carried the torch onwards. The full action back and the under arm footballs means this pattern can be worn skin tight in the torso but still better arm movement than jackets with bigger ease everywhere. A true gem. And I am craving the 5star one in thick black goat with a wax finish...
Happy to share my findings. The goat is surprisingly robust, compared to Aero goat it is a firmer temper and less luxurious feeling. Not sure how the premium waxed goat fares in comparison. I do agree with you on the benefits of the G1 pattern. With the removable fur collar, it's like the look of an A2 on the front with added mobility the G1 provides.

Happy to share my findings. The goat is surprisingly robust, compared to Aero goat it is a firmer temper and less luxurious feeling. Not sure how the premium waxed goat fares in comparison. I do agree with you on the benefits of the G1 pattern. With the removable fur collar, it's like the look of an A2 on the front with added mobility the G1 provides.
How long was the build time for you? I was told my jacket would be done in 3 days but 7 have passed and my inquiries have gone ignored....I'm irritated. I don't mind waiting but I hate being ignored, especially considering the amount of time and money I have invested with this company.

Observe

One Too Many
How long was the build time for you? I was told my jacket would be done in 3 days but 7 have passed and my inquiries have gone ignored....I'm irritated. I don't mind waiting but I hate being ignored, especially considering the amount of time and money I have invested with this company.
I ordered May 10 and they had it finished May 16. Had it in my hands May 23. They were prompt in their replies to my questions. Not sure what's going on with you. My jacket was mostly stock, but I did ask for no USN stencil and a removable mouton collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21