Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Observe

One Too Many
My tip would be to look in the vintage jacket forum. The most likely to know which model is made after an original. Is there a home game ;)
Are you familiar with which thread to check? I don't know much about what's going on over there. I found a thread but no posts since Feb 2022.

Observe

One Too Many
Guess I'm gonna find out first hand. I ordered the stock black G1:

I do hope the collar is detachable as advertised as that was a selling point for me. I like the versatility of a removable fur collar.

f2002q

One of the Regulars

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you familiar with which thread to check? I don't know much about what's going on over there. I found a thread but no posts since Feb 2022.
Unfortunately no, because I haven't followed this for a while. Otherwise I would have gladly given you the appropriate link. But I saw, you have already chosen something. If in doubt, just ask in the forum which models are based on an original.

Aloysius

Guess I'm gonna find out first hand. I ordered the stock black G1:

I do hope the collar is detachable as advertised as that was a selling point for me. I like the versatility of a removable fur collar.

I'm pretty sure this is the Gibson based one.

I think removable is Shawn's default but you can email to confirm that it is a removable collar.

Observe

One Too Many
It's a good thing I emailed, as I got a reply stating that the fur collar was fixed, which is odd as the photos and description clearly indicate a removable collar. Hopefully it's all sorted now.

Well, never say never I guess….
IMG_5472.jpeg
IMG_5469.jpeg

I really want this jacket and obtaining a Jelado for $1.7k seems dumb, and I won’t buy the Chinese knock off for $480. I hope Shawn and co can do it. They have built one before.

Observe

One Too Many
I ordered stock and they almost got the specs wrong so I am curious how your project will turn out. You're much more familiar with them than I am though.

Aloysius

I ordered stock and they almost got the specs wrong so I am curious how your project will turn out. You're much more familiar with them than I am though.

Well in that case they got the specs right (the Buzz Rickson’s collar is non detachable) but the webpage wrong.

MrProper

View attachment 517030 View attachment 517031
I really want this jacket and obtaining a Jelado for $1.7k seems dumb, and I won’t buy the Chinese knock off for $480. I hope Shawn and co can do it. They have built one before.
For the curved hem on the back, I would still indicate what the difference should be from the highest point to the lowest point on the sides. And whether the curve only goes to the sides, or whether the curve goes to the front (which is my guess). 5* has the problem with the front drop that it usually only goes from the side seam to the front and that often doesn't look optimal.
It probably doesn't hurt to describe the curve of the sleeves exactly. Otherwise the curve might start too far up and that won't look good either.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
View attachment 517030 View attachment 517031
@ton312 I would give 5* much more requested measurement infos adapted to your desired type of jacket, as stated in my post earlier in this thread.

Btw: I forgot e.g. to define the exact height of the Breast Zipper because I relied on the photos on the homepage. Lo and behold, there were also corresponding objections from FL members who believe that the chest pocket is set too high on my final jacket ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy