Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Pandemic

One Too Many
Loungers - I need some ideas! I'm looking at that buffalo suede and thinking about ordering my first 5*, but I'm just not sure on a pattern. It looks good as a trucker, but I'd like something different - and most suede jackets you see are awful, sloppy Nordstrom Rack affairs.

One idea is something very simple - just a single top pocket, mandarin collar (though I don't know how you'd stiffen a suede collar to stay up) and snap closures on the front. Another possibility is to take something like @ton312 's masterpiece and go Full Seventies in tan suede.

Seank

A-List Customer
Just received word from Shawn that he can start working on my deerskin jacket project.
I sent him a pattern drawing based loosely on my old M65 field jacket, with a few changes here and there. That’s always been one of my favorite jackets, and I think a leather version and particularly, the deerskin being a lighter weight leather, will suit this design fairly well.
Or maybe not...it’s a bit of gamble.

we’ll see soon enough.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received word from Shawn that he can start working on my deerskin jacket project.
I sent him a pattern drawing based loosely on my old M65 field jacket, with a few changes here and there. That’s always been one of my favorite jackets, and I think a leather version and particularly, the deerskin being a lighter weight leather, will suit this design fairly well.
Or maybe not...it’s a bit of gamble.

we’ll see soon enough.

Sounds very interesting: keep us all posted on developments, have commissioned my first deerskin jacket, a hide I’m not familiar with

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Loungers - I need some ideas! I'm looking at that buffalo suede and thinking about ordering my first 5*, but I'm just not sure on a pattern. It looks good as a trucker, but I'd like something different - and most suede jackets you see are awful, sloppy Nordstrom Rack affairs.

One idea is something very simple - just a single top pocket, mandarin collar (though I don't know how you'd stiffen a suede collar to stay up) and snap closures on the front. Another possibility is to take something like @ton312 's masterpiece and go Full Seventies in tan suede.

The 5star that has impressed me the most yet is @torfjord's W W trucker, have you seen it?

Hh121

Banned
I've sent these patterns to Shawn, he's confirmed he can build and at a very reasonable price me thinks. I am leaning towards buffalo, non distressed 1.3-1.4mm. I'm still fussing over a couple details like should I include a slash/hand-warmer pocket behind the cargo pockets like I have seen on a custom Aero Maxwell, and gussets or no gussets, and of course the final decision on leather.
Any comments, please fire away. This will be my first 5*.
NB - sorry for my artistic (lack of) talent.
Any update on this project?

abone

A-List Customer
Any update on this project?
Thanks for asking. I have changed it a bit, morphed an Aero Maxwell and Thedi Hektor together. Traditional half belt in the rear. Shawn has the drawings and measurements, now just waiting for him to create the pattern. I've found it a bit of a challenge with the communication part so I'll know once I see the design if we're in sync. This is one of 3 drawings I have sent, along with detailed instructions, so not all measurements are illustrated here. I have decided on their new non-distressed buffalo at 1.3-1.4mm.

tempImageubL09K.png

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
Thanks for asking. I have changed it a bit, morphed an Aero Maxwell and Thedi Hektor together. Traditional half belt in the rear. Shawn has the drawings and measurements, now just waiting for him to create the pattern. I've found it a bit of a challenge with the communication part. No questions, no feedback, so I'll know once I see the design if we're in sync. This is one of 3 drawings I have sent, along with detailed instructions, so not all measurements are illustrated here. View attachment 299471
I like the new design even better! I would suggest it will be more helpful to fivestar if you can send him a picture of actual jacket in your mind, even though your drawing is clear enough.
Anyway I will not worry about the skill of fivestar. Good luck with your project!

abone

A-List Customer
I like the new design even better! I would suggest it will be more helpful to fivestar if you can send him a picture of actual jacket in your mind, even though your drawing is clear enough.
Anyway I will not worry about the skill of fivestar. Good luck with your project!
I have sent him a crap load of pictures - my Vanson Oxford with measuring tape across all the particulars, pics of the Aero Maxwell, and the Thedi Hektor. I really like the Hektor pocket set-up but mine won't be double-breasted. I think it will work out.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Oh by the way, @ton312, Shawn confirmed today the buffalo will be ready in 30 days, and its up to 1mm thick
The Buffalo looks superb, as does the deer. As soon as my Aero is done, which for the love of God, will hopefully be this next week, I’ll be in hot pursuit of Shawns pony hide. Barring that it’ll be deer or buffalo.

abone

A-List Customer
The Buffalo looks superb, as does the deer. As soon as my Aero is done, which for the love of God, will hopefully be this next week, I’ll be in hot pursuit of Shawns pony hide. Barring that it’ll be deer or buffalo.
Oops, typo. The HH is up to 1mm and ready in 30 days. The non-distressed buffalo is ready now, and is 1.3-1.4mm. Sorry bout that.

Did you see the pic I posted earlier of the leather? Looks pretty good.
I did and it sure does. Trying to broaden the color spectrum a bit. But if push came to shove I think the Buffalo would likely be my first choice next. Didn’t realize the horse was that light.

abone

A-List Customer
I did and it sure does. Trying to broaden the color spectrum a bit. But if push came to shove I think the Buffalo would likely be my first choice next. Didn’t realize the horse was that light.
It's so difficult to tell from sample pics but it does appear to have a reddish tinge which is exactly what I was looking for.

It's so difficult to tell from sample pics but it does appear to have a reddish tinge which is exactly what I was looking for.
Agreed. I see a little cordo in it. I like! The wheels are turning and fast now. I just told myself today to lay low. Get the Aero...chill. But opening browsers is dangerous business and I have a doozy in mind. Kind of my final frontier of sorts, in a particular style. It would be a challenging build.

abone

A-List Customer

When I think of suede jackets I always think back to late 60's and early 70's, patch pockets....2-3....nice big collars, buttons not zips, and length falling over the hips. My older brother had one, that everyone went crazy for. And of course it was stolen. If I was going to design a suede jacket, I'd be pouring over old pictures on the internet of that era. Suede was big then.

Last edited:

abone

A-List Customer
Agreed. I see a little cordo in it. I like! The wheels are turning and fast now. I just told myself today to lay low. Get the Aero...chill. But opening browsers is dangerous business and I have a doozy in mind. Kind of my final frontier of sorts, in a particular style.
Ha, I hear you. I got into motorcycles 15 years ago, ended up with 6. Got into vintage stereo, ended up with amps and receivers stacked everywhere. Got into guitars....well you know how that ended. Addictions can be all consuming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko