Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

I believe a lot of forum members have other big collections :)

I am in the danger phase of motrocycles at the moment, although I am still at only one, but don't know for how long lol

bn1966 and roadking04 like this.
  2. abone2010

abone2010 One of the Regulars

Careful. I eventually sold 4, still have 2, but man I could have easily kept going.

bn1966 and red devil like this.
  3. abone2010

Or just go all Terry Leather on us, and set up a Bank Job! I could see this in suede if the dimensions were tightened up a bit.

Attached Files:

4. Seank

Seank One of the Regulars

LOL! That’s actually not that far off from the field jacket I am having Shawn make for me in deerskin.

JustinW likes this.
  5. abone2010

Good for you. When that movie came out I drooled over that jacket. Deerskin will be perfect for that. Not too heavy.
    Looking forward to seeing yours!

Jin431 likes this.
  6. JustinW

JustinW Practically Family

7. Seank

Cornelius and JustinW like this.
  8. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit One of the Regulars

I think it looks great.

torfjord likes this.
  9. rockandrollrabbit

Love it. I saw this on Five Star's FB page and recognized your handle. I've got a Dubow coming from Shawn with knits I sent him. Yours looks great!

bn1966 and leper-colony like this.
  10. rockandrollrabbit

11. Seank

Dark cognac brown

leper-colony likes this.
  12. dlite90

dlite90 Familiar Face

1E16FAED-6642-4AD4-BDD5-8FCB9476BB08.jpeg 4011EDDC-D223-48CA-9C42-B1EFEDD4C9F5.jpeg
    Sure. I’m finding it quite hard to get a pic that correctly captures the color.
    The best way to describe it is a Hershey’s bar with added clay-red undertones. Medium-brown in general. In some rooms you’re wearing a reddish brown jacket, in some it looks chocolate brown.
    My first A-2 was this leather with olive acrylic knit, but I’m seeing with this “seal brown” wool knit, it brings out the red.
    It’s ruddy enough that you can wear it with khakis and not feel like you’re covered in brown which is convenient. And with goat you can get some graining without wearing it everyday for a year (I’ve worn mine out in a drizzle twice while walking the dog to help out).

I do have some complaints though:
    1. Squeaky leather which annoys my girlfriend. I’m gonna need to wear the hell out of it or apply something to the surface to get that out.
    2. Prominent crease in the chest from where it was folded in shipping.
    3. The Broncos have a sleeve which gets thin near the wrist. That can make it restrictive if you’re wearing a long-sleeve collared/cuffed shirt underneath as I frequently do. So be sure to order your sleeves longer than normal unless you’re absolutely committed to wearing t shirts under this and nothing else. Also with cotton lining you’re more prone to sleeves catching inside as opposed to rayon. My forearms are just naturally large/muscular so it may not be an issue for thinner dudes.

ton312 and abone2010 like this.
  13. abone2010

Thanks for the reply @dlite90. Looks like 5* did a great job. I like that colour too. I've read a number of complaints about creasing from packaging. I wonder if using an iron with a very thick wet towel over the leather, very carefully, would get rid of that? Or just a hot wet towel applied to the crease? Eventually it will go away on its own, but like you, that would drive me nuts until it did. It's a good reminder to ask Shawn to box mine when its ready to ship.

14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Five Stars does use a box. Seems to be why there's a crease. The two jackets I rceived in a box have creases. The two that came in plastic did not. Not everyone's experince, but I think it is becasue the boxes are very thin and lead to a sharp fold over of the leather.

15. abone2010

Thanks for this, good to know.

16. ton312

ton312

My last two jackets came in a box. About 1.5” deep. Essentially a cardboard bag. Nevertheless, I prefer that shipping container to a plastic bag.

tweedydon, Jin431 and Seank like this.
  17. Seank

Mine did as well.

18. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

My last order came in a small box, no creasing at all. My first order came in a plastic Dhl bag and was folded over twice, there was a big crease in the midline of the jacket that went away eventually but was annoying to receive

On a side note, I ordered another black deerskin trucker likened to the IH design. I gave my squeaky seal goatskin trucker away.

torfjord, ton312 and dlite90 like this.
  19. dlite90

dlite90 Familiar Face

In my experience this helped a bit with a wrinkled lambskin Cole Haan jacket I had before I got into vintage leather jackets. I hung it outside my shower to get it steamed then ironed it with a dry pillowcase. I wouldn't bet on it going away on its own, it would probably take repeated ironings and a few months of wear. Iron from the inside too.
    For a $150 goatskin jacket I'm not complaining though. Just be sure to ask for the wool knit upgrade because the default is acrylic.

Both my jackets came in bubblewrapped manila envelopes.

tweedydon likes this.
  20. ton312

ton312

Man that sounds cool! I actually like my squeaky seal hide the best. It’s the thickest. Feels the most stout. I wish my Starcaidia 2 was in the same hide. Looking forward to your type III. I know it’ll be good!

Jin431 likes this.