Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Guys - can you advise the cheapest way to send a jacket to Shawn from the US? Speed is not important, could be a slow boat, but looking to spend as little as possible.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The rain finally paused for a moment. Photos first. Write up later:

F45613C3-270D-4E78-AA43-75B1D4BC3C58.jpeg
DD0094CB-68EB-41D0-9341-ECEE66CA1FBB.jpeg
80EB22D9-131A-4475-A82A-E5542CF05A97.jpeg
51CA9322-586F-47E4-B1F2-ADF61DFAFC2D.jpeg
182831FD-078B-4FA7-9A61-3311AF4F1C66.jpeg
F3166662-4EC4-46C8-B5B2-0E376F7D0575.jpeg
12C46408-F14F-4180-9F09-8159A36E5086.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been curious about these shearling jackets for some time now. My question was always what’s shearling leather? Why does it look like it has grain leather on the opposite side of the fur side which is the actual grain side. The Shearling jacket I’ve had from long ago had suede on the other side of the fur side which made sense to me. But all repro shearlings looks like it’s got grain on the flesh side.

Anyways, bad news first. These RAF shearling jacket are EXPENSIVE! At $560 plus shipping ($55), it’s the most expensive FiveStar jacket I’ve got. This is also the first time I bought off the rack from Shawn’s web store. So this jacket is 100 percent stock, no custom. I did not know how to size these things. Given what I know now, I would have done a custom with a tighter hem, tighter cuff, and a hood, and keep everything else the same.

The good: Shawn probably used his very best hardwares on this jacket. I will ask for these zips and buckle for my future custom jackets. They are solid cast brass and feels very heavy and premium. This fur leather also had NO chemical smell which I really appreciate. The shearling is THICK.

The mid dark brown is also very nice finish. Much better than Shawn’s russet and seal goat. Very deep and multi tone. Horween like. I wish he did his goats in this sheepskin brown. It’s few levels more upscale than his current goat browns.

I really don’t know much about Shearling to say more. For sure I’d be field testing this bad boy in the coming weeks. I’ll find out how it does in the wet cold here. Overall I think I got more than my money’s worth just on the thick fur alone. It’s my most expensive 5Star jacket to date, but still a few hundred dollars less than other heritage brands.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@Canuck Panda i think that came out just right, looks great on you and maybe the hem and sleeves will fill in better once your fully layered up. great pick up! the fur looks cozy and the leather looks premium for sure. So do you just add an extra 2" on top of your regular key measurements? So cool, I want one too lol but then again it's not appropriate for my local climate tsk

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Canuck Panda i think that came out just right, looks great on you and maybe the hem and sleeves will fill in better once your fully layered up. great pick up! the fur looks cozy and the leather looks premium for sure. So do you just add an extra 2" on top of your regular key measurements? So cool, I want one too lol but then again it's not appropriate for my local climate tsk
Thanks bro! I got no idea how these Shearlings should work or fit. It’s like wearing shaggy carpet. This is a one off thing to scratch an itch I’ve had for long time. I can’t get side tracked too much. Back to chasing my holy grail.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
I just ordered one too with russet trim .I have a 85cm chest so I should order a 32 but it went with a 36 .A Irvin should fit slightly large .
These leathers are napalan/double sided leathers so the suede has been finished to a smooth surface .The surface will deteriorate over time .Some faster some later .
The surface prevents water or in WW2 oil and gasoline spills.

I ordered one with russet steer trim and more appropriate looking pockets .I have one picture of a Irvin coastal command with a period repair that has pockets .

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
once your fully layered up
With 2cm of fur, you don't wear layers anymore. T-shirt or shirt is enough. lol
I'm actually waiting for my custom shearling in the reddish. But somehow it seems to be too custom and Shawn doesn't start. Well, I have enough other shearling anyway.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thanks bro! I got no idea how these Shearlings should work or fit. It’s like wearing shaggy carpet. This is a one off thing to scratch an itch I’ve had for long time. I can’t get side tracked too much. Back to chasing my holy grail.
you got me lol only ever saw people wear them on film but it sure does look cool. great way to scratch that itch off for sure, this one looks like a keeper piece.

I'm actually waiting for my custom shearling in the reddish. But somehow it seems to be too custom and Shawn doesn't start. Well, I have enough other shearling anyway.
damn it's that warm huh haha it's definitely going to be overkill if I get one considering my local climate. it does look nicer to have the thicker 2cm fur so when I eventually get one I'll go big for sure lol

can't wait to see your upcoming shearling project, thats always fun to see. hope the design is a little bit wild and out there lol

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I really don’t know much about Shearling to say more. For sure I’d be field testing this bad boy in the coming weeks. I’ll find out how it does in the wet cold here. Overall I think I got more than my money’s worth just on the thick fur alone. It’s my most expensive 5Star jacket to date, but still a few hundred dollars less than other heritage brands.

Wow, that is an awesome Irving for the price and you definitely got your money's worth. I will take your photos and show them to the CEO and CFO to warm her up to the idea. My plan is to show her enough Irvings that when this thing shows up she won't care!!! LOL.

5 Star definitely makes good jackets and I would have not even looked at them if it wasn't for this forum. Thanks for the awesome pics!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I just ordered one too with russet trim .I have a 85cm chest so I should order a 32 but it went with a 36 .A Irvin should fit slightly large .
These leathers are napalan/double sided leathers so the suede has been finished to a smooth surface .The surface will deteriorate over time .Some faster some later .
The surface prevents water or in WW2 oil and gasoline spills.

I ordered one with russet steer trim and more appropriate looking pockets .I have one picture of a Irvin coastal command with a period repair that has pockets .

That's good to know. Thanks Pilot Jens for the info on the leather type. So the crackle look will appear over time right?

I haven't been getting customs either. Shawn's back logged on the custom.

You got me into the Shearling! It's not just warm, it's comfortable in a big range of temperature. I say from 10 Celsius down to minus 5, unzip to zipped up, with a polo shirt underneath is enough. Very versatile material. The fur feels very nice against the skin. I can't be side tracked with Shearling but it's hard.

Wow, that is an awesome Irving for the price and you definitely got your money's worth. I will take your photos and show them to the CEO and CFO to warm her up to the idea. My plan is to show her enough Irvings that when this thing shows up she won't care!!! LOL.

5 Star definitely makes good jackets and I would have not even looked at them if it wasn't for this forum. Thanks for the awesome pics!

Show her expensive ones from Aero and Cockpit USA prices first, then the 5Star. I did that to convince myself to justify for this one. It's expensive but felt like a good deal.

The old military strategy: soften'em up before the final assault! Btw, @Canuck Panda, that shearling looks great.

I also like to butter things up before I sink my teeth in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko