Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
What's the difference between conic and conic glazed?

Conic glazed is the same as Conic but, according to Shawn, it is "waxed distressed" and while Conic is "supple leather" the glazed "is little stand in nature". I have asked a variety of questions lately about this and a few other hides. There is such limited info on the website. Replies are few and far between and always incomplete (eg: not answering the 2-3 questions I asked but maybe answering just one of them days later if at all).
In spite of this, I submitted a purchase request more than a week ago and have heard no reply. I guess they have enough business to hold them for now and don't need more....or they are all out sick.

Honestly, if Shawn and his staff would simply take color correct pictures in a format that allows zooming in and add in a short description like semi-veg tanned....dyed through...1.2mm thickness, etc. for these hides, it would save so many wasted questions. Personally, I'm nearly at the "throw in the towel point" with 5*. Having good pricing is all well and good but if you can't acknowledge a customer order, what's the point? I know...some here wait months/years from certain jacket makers so complaining about a week+ for a reply is silly...true.

Conic glazed is the same as Conic but, according to Shawn, it is "waxed distressed" and while Conic is "supple leather" the glazed "is little stand in nature". I have asked a variety of questions lately about this and a few other hides. There is such limited info on the website. Replies are few and far between and always incomplete (eg: not answering the 2-3 questions I asked but maybe answering just one of them days later if at all).
In spite of this, I submitted a purchase request more than a week ago and have heard no reply. I guess they have enough business to hold them for now and don't need more....or they are all out sick.

Honestly, if Shawn and his staff would simply take color correct pictures in a format that allows zooming in and add in a short description like semi-veg tanned....dyed through...1.2mm thickness, etc. for these hides, it would save so many wasted questions. Personally, I'm nearly at the "throw in the towel point" with 5*. Having good pricing is all well and good but if you can't acknowledge a customer order, what's the point? I know...some here wait months/years from certain jacket makers so complaining about a week+ for a reply is silly...true.
I think we were spoiled by the lightning fast replies and delivery times early on. I submitted and paid for my halfbelt a week ago but haven't heard bcak either, other than an "nearly almost done" (superb combination of unclear wording) message a day or so ago.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars

I see, thanks for the info. I desperately want a tan or natural jacket from five star in any leather, but unfortunately that's not in the cards now. So I'm leaning towards conic or reddish brown goat now

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
3-4 days to ship for a stock jacket on his site. Pretty impressive, given the volume he’s working with. I couldn’t resist so I went back for black steer and a slightly modified version of a stock jacket. Changed the liner to purple nylon, different cuffs. Looking for something similar to my 50’s HH Phillips. Nothing too fancy, just a daily driver Halfbelt. I like Shawn’s house steerhide. It’s thick and stiff enough with nice grain. This model looked pretty good as is, no need to reinvent the wheel.
View attachment 396727
View attachment 396726
How did I miss this post! Good one!

Woo Hoo! Done! Looks good! Love the purple liner and it looks like Shawn upgraded his hardware.
1F5A7EE7-1666-4686-BB32-8BEC4B560294.jpeg
41418C73-AD65-4343-BF4F-70E8F60D3DDF.jpeg
11ED9ABB-DF64-4BF8-BDE7-C36556215CBE.jpeg

I love the two piece sleeve. His three piece sleeve were french seamed, but I like two big pieces of leather.
I am very tempted now. Ugh... The danger of this thread...
Wait for my fit pics! This is my first “stock” 5 Star. I’m curious to see how it pans out. I do really love the purple liner. It’s funky and weird and I’m glad I spec’d it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wait for my fit pics! This is my first “stock” 5 Star. I’m curious to see how it pans out. I do really love the purple liner. It’s funky and weird and I’m glad I spec’d it.
I like the purple lining. If they had it when I ordered I would've gone for that too.
The jacket looks really good. Without the label it'd be hard to guess its origin. This one has all the upgrades, better zippers, buttons, two piece sleeve vs three, and is at stock price. That's why I am tempted. Very tempted.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
The black steer looks nice .Maybe I should just take that instead of waiting for chl to make my Luftwaffe style jacket .My supplies are gathering dust and I don't want to make more custom boots with my Bootmaker . Sorry Li :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider