Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

What are people's thoughts on matching shoes with jacket? Should one not mix brown and black?

Is leather color just a matter of preference or does one color, brown for example, show the character of leather better than, say, black?

Any discussion on this is, in my opinion, zenith of bad taste. You can either match your leathers perfectly, should you prefer to do so, or mismatch it to the extreme that might be considered comical (which I personally prefer) but anyone telling you that either is wrong (or right) is a clown.

Last edited:

KBlake

One Too Many
Any discussion on this is, in my opinion, zenith of degeneracy. You can either match your leathers perfectly, should you prefer to do so, or mismatch it to the extreme that might be considered comical (which I personally prefer) but anyone telling you that either is wrong (or right) is a clown.
I was trying to get this forum back on topic as it had gotten derailed. What about brown versus black leather for appreciating leather quality? Does it matter? It seems to me most leather connoisseurs prefer brown.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was trying to get this forum back on topic as it had gotten derailed. What about brown versus black leather for appreciating leather quality? Does it matter? It seems to me most leather connoisseurs prefer brown.

Why keep it to just black and brown? There are so many colours to play with. I would mention same as @Edward that Burgundy is the most versatile colour I can think of. Hence why my most worn boots at the moment are Burgundy.

Which colours do you prefer yourself?

MTS

Familiar Face
I actually prefer Brown leather but most of my leather jackets and shoes are black just because I think they're a bit more versatile.

I tend to match jackets and shoes but not doing so wouldn't make me stare or probably make me notice

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I have never owned anything other than black jackets., shoes and belts. I think, and of course this is just my opinion, black leather jackets show more character and elegant "toughness" as they age. Generally my attitude towards apparel is, simplify, simplify without losing value or individuality. So, for me dressed primarily in all black outfits fits that rationale.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
IMO, brown leather shows itself off more than jet black. But, dyed through black leather is kinda the ultimate in leather making. Making a deep deep black that stays black is very very hard. It's not my thing, black leather, but I have to give credit where is due. Jet black leather that's black to the core that stays black through its life is the results of incredible amount of labor hours.

KBlake

One Too Many
Why keep it to just black and brown? There are so many colours to play with. I would mention same as @Edward that Burgundy is the most versatile colour I can think of. Hence why my most worn boots at the moment are Burgundy.

Which colours do you prefer yourself?
Good point!
I gravitate to black mostly. It's more bold and badass but I appreciate the richness of brown tones and how the lighter color shows grain and texture. Black also seems to complement my wardrobe better. Of course it's a matter of preference and neither is superior it just seemed that brown is more popular on this forum.

MoFo

Familiar Face
What is the liner and is it warm?
I don’t know exactly…

On the 5* site says “Artificial Fur Lining”

It looks like in my Foto and yes, it is warm.
I have a Bronson B-10 too – that is warmer.
20220303_062204.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have the B10 fur lining from 5star too. It’s only about 1/4“ pile. It also curls when washed, behaves like real fur. So I would guess it’s more acrylic blend than straight polyester. Very comfortable temp range. I would wear mine from 2C to 12C with a single shirt underneath.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Bahabp100 My LAPD. Thanks!

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Nice one. Which leather did you end up using for this jacket? Russet / Conic goat or horsehide?
I went with the premium conic goat, made sure to specify that I wanted it thick. Before I found out about Five Star, I originally wanted to have this made as an Aero, but a $400 custom jacket is too hard to pass up. I had the sleeve and body length altered and the measurements of the jacket I was sent more or less match up with my original Aero grizzly. I was happy to see that there's a taper to the body according to the measurements. I also specially requested that "made of goatskin" tag added because I think it looks cool .

KBlake

One Too Many
I actually prefer Brown leather but most of my leather jackets and shoes are black just because I think they're a bit more versatile.

I tend to match jackets and shoes but not doing so wouldn't make me stare or probably make me notice
This is where I'm at as well.

js0930

New in Town
I’m thinking about getting a Cossack from 5 star - probably the slash pockets. Or a G1. Anyone bought either stock and have any comments? Not super interested in messing about with measurements and I have someone local who can alter sleeves if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner