Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sent my denim & had it recreated in leather

Attachments

• FCF2A76E-85F5-4E5F-8189-C3F8B225DDF6.jpeg
    FCF2A76E-85F5-4E5F-8189-C3F8B225DDF6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
He can do it. From pictures. Many members here have great success with fit just going off photos and tweaking dimensions.
BUT, copying from an actual vintage is the only way to do it, imo. It becomes something worthy than just a copy.
This was my experience after getting the CHP jacket. I am sure this is what his A2 customers felt with the actual vintage copies.
I used to source Horween leather to send to Shawn. But perhaps I've been doing it wrong. So switching gear to source vintage jackets for him to copy from this point on.
That's good to hear about using pictures. I was wondering about getting him to make a copy of one of those Vanson swedish motorcycle jackets since I have a collection of photos of one from pretty much every angle and every detail.

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Sent my denim & had it recreated in leather
Amazing. I think this is best plan. The prob with pictures is you're relying on them to fill in the blanks (arm hole width, biceps, any sort of transition measurement,, etc) and that's not their forte. But if they can copy, now nothing is left to chance.

I've been looking for a nice chocolate brown suede trucker style. They seem to be way over priced usually.

This has got me thinking to just send my levis type 3 or whatever and have them redo in suede.

If I don't get lucky with a used one next few months, I may give a try. Wonder if they can do a rough out with the new horse or ive heard goat rough out is pretty nice as well.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
He can do it. From pictures. Many members here have great success with fit just going off photos and tweaking dimensions.
BUT, copying from an actual vintage is the only way to do it, imo. It becomes something worthy than just a copy.
This was my experience after getting the CHP jacket. I am sure this is what his A2 customers felt with the actual vintage copies.
I used to source Horween leather to send to Shawn. But perhaps I've been doing it wrong. So switching gear to source vintage jackets for him to copy from this point on.
So, you send him an actual jacket and he reproduces the pattern and he then sends you the jackets?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've got this vintage Lee Rider coming. Seller says 60s. Heddel says before 1975. Still embroidered label (not printed), and seemingly vintage sizing. The plan is to get a horsehide version made from this jacket. It might take a while though. I am gonna wear it a bit to see how I like the sizing (2 weeks) before sending it to Shawn. But so far he has no authentic Lee Rider pattern. So if you can wait, at least it would be based on an union made in USA copy.

And if there are any Lee Rider experts here who can date the jacket by the label please chime in. Thanks.

The measurements are in line with my new 42 CHP with shorter sleeves but I think that might be old denim shrinkage half inch at least. If sellers measurements are correct, that's huge chest to hem drop. Most modern truckers have no drop. Very excited about this one.

Lee Rider Vintage.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
So, you send him an actual jacket and he reproduces the pattern and he then sends you the jackets?
That's how he reproduce the A2 jackets and some of the military shearling jackets. I think this is the best way of doing it. Photos with measurements will give a good fit. But nothing like a real repro from the original.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I just got my "ready to ship" message and photos today too! I went the Seal HH route, but man, @ton312 the hide you chose looks fantastic! Is that the pull-up HH or the distressed? The Seal I ordered looks really dark-- almost black in the photos he sent me. Guess we'll see when it gets here! The grain looks like it should be interesting.

@ton312 -- moving the pockets in-- genius! That really balances things nicely and should be the standard from now on. I chose a different pocket configuration entirely, based on some vintage examples and one another lounger had made.

I also requested the sleeves trimmed: 8" 7" 6" bicep, elbow, cuff, based on my old Hercules. Anxious to see how that turned out, as it is hard to tell just from the pictures.

For those about to order, one detail to remember that I didn't think about was the zippers. I would have preferred brass color and the old style ring pull on the chest pocket. I've seen plenty of vintage examples with silver colored zippers, so its not that big of a deal for me, but I know different things are important to people, so something to mention.

IMG20220304183655.jpg

IMG20220304183807.jpg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I've got this vintage Lee Rider coming. Seller says 60s. Heddel says before 1975. Still embroidered label (not printed), and seemingly vintage sizing. The plan is to get a horsehide version made from this jacket. It might take a while though. I am gonna wear it a bit to see how I like the sizing (2 weeks) before sending it to Shawn. But so far he has no authentic Lee Rider pattern. So if you can wait, at least it would be based on an union made in USA copy.

And if there are any Lee Rider experts here who can date the jacket by the label please chime in. Thanks.

The measurements are in line with my new 42 CHP with shorter sleeves but I think that might be old denim shrinkage half inch at least. If sellers measurements are correct, that's huge chest to hem drop. Most modern truckers have no drop. Very excited about this one.

View attachment 407025
Looks like early mid 70s? http://www.redcloud.co.jp/detail/lee.htm

edit: I've owned 2 from roughly same period. One I sold because it was slightly shorter than the other. I like them a lot, but overall a little too short for me (6'0 foot tall) and the bicep arms are really poofy. I kept one for shitzngiggles but I'm thinking if it ever wears down more, I might turn into a vest. RRL has a version that is perfect. Slightly longer and trimmer arms. I'm also waiting for Bravestar to release their version again which also looks slightly longer and trimmer arms.

bn1966

Amazing. I think this is best plan. The prob with pictures is you're relying on them to fill in the blanks (arm hole width, biceps, any sort of transition measurement,, etc) and that's not their forte. But if they can copy, now nothing is left to chance.

I've been looking for a nice chocolate brown suede trucker style. They seem to be way over priced usually.

This has got me thinking to just send my levis type 3 or whatever and have them redo in suede.

If I don't get lucky with a used one next few months, I may give a try. Wonder if they can do a rough out with the new horse or ive heard goat rough out is pretty nice as well.
Faithful reproduction in leather of my type 3, cheap enough to send it to Shawn. Numbers all nailed…

I just got my "ready to ship" message and photos today too! I went the Seal HH route, but man, @ton312 the hide you chose looks fantastic! Is that the pull-up HH or the distressed? The Seal I ordered looks really dark-- almost black in the photos he sent me. Guess we'll see when it gets here! The grain looks like it should be interesting.

@ton312 -- moving the pockets in-- genius! That really balances things nicely and should be the standard from now on. I chose a different pocket configuration entirely, based on some vintage examples and one another lounger had made.

I also requested the sleeves trimmed: 8" 7" 6" bicep, elbow, cuff, based on my old Hercules. Anxious to see how that turned out, as it is hard to tell just from the pictures.

For those about to order, one detail to remember that I didn't think about was the zippers. I would have preferred brass color and the old style ring pull on the chest pocket. I've seen plenty of vintage examples with silver colored zippers, so its not that big of a deal for me, but I know different things are important to people, so something to mention.

View attachment 407038
View attachment 407041
Oh man that's really nice as well. I love those handwarmers and the details at each end. The seal brown looks great! I've had two seal brown goat's from 5 Star, that color is always good.

Riu

Practically Family
I think he did it. He cracked the code. 5 Star has entered a new level. I can’t wait to get my hands on this one. Biggest improvement to the design is moving the handwarmers closer to the main zip. This looks superb! Nice varied grain. Trimmed sleeves. Dying to get this one delivered!!!
View attachment 406872 View attachment 406873 View attachment 406874 View attachment 406875 View attachment 406876
That looks fantastic! looking forward to see some pictures wen you get it. Not around much lately but I saw this and the leather might be just perfect for a Cossack I have in mind.

MrProper

That's how he reproduce the A2 jackets and some of the military shearling jackets. I think this is the best way of doing it. Photos with measurements will give a good fit. But nothing like a real repro from the original.
I did it this way for my daughter's jacket. This was an old faux leather jacket that already had some damage. But for some reason my daughter likes this jacket and so I had a copy made out of leather.
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_7938.JPG

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Imagine if he was working on this instead of 5oz CXL, lol.
To be fair, several of us on here tried to get HH going with 5* last year. I was told it would be a year at least until it was available. Previous discussion was HH from 5* being thin and not very good. I think that led.to the rabbit trail of CHL

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I did it this way for my daughter's jacket. This was an old faux leather jacket that already had some damage. But for some reason my daughter likes this jacket and so I had a copy made out of leather.
View attachment 407061 View attachment 407062
This exactly, I’m sending him the Lee rider to copy.

To be fair, several of us on here tried to get HH going with 5* last year. I was told it would be a year at least until it was available. Previous discussion was HH from 5* being thin and not very good. I think that led.to the rabbit trail of CHL
I tried to get his horsehide before, maybe a year or more ago, and it was always out of stock. whatever is happening now is definitely on the right direction.

Is it brown HH 1.2mm?
Yep. It’s the pull-up hide. Shawn sent me some photos of the distressed HH he has and some look really good, others a bit too distressed for my taste. This hide seems to strike a nice balance between them. I’m hoping it will be similar in weight to my former ELMC californian. Something for spring and fall. All my vintage leathers, minus the Phillips and the delicate Knopf are quilt lined and thick/hot.

born113

One of the Regulars
In this photo, the surface pattern of the leather is different to the right and left of the zipper. I don't know what it's called, but these are different properties of the leather. It looks like different density and elasticity. Do you think with wearing this look will be the same on both sides?
I understand that this can be called "character" too. But nonetheless. Is there a chance that both sides will be the same?

In this photo, the surface pattern of the leather is different to the right and left of the zipper. I don't know what it's called, but these are different properties of the leather. It looks like different density and elasticity. Do you think with wearing this look will be the same on both sides?
I understand that this can be called "character" too. But nonetheless. Is there a chance that both sides will be the same?
Probably not. I think the temper and ultimate grain development is somewhat set from the get go. I see this on most my vintage stuff and especially on my 70 year old Herc. I like that b/c to me it looks more authentically vintage:
216169C7-5C22-4874-AC80-73ACABF7851C.jpeg

It will be interesting to see how Shawn’s HH develops. I believe it will have the feel of “pony skin”. Which is thinner and a bit more drape prone than typical FQHH. That’s the feeling I get from what I’ve seen so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran