Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Rugby

One of the Regulars
This is the response I've got today from 5*
thanks for your email,

here is the link for buying trucker jacket:
https://www.fivestarleather.us/prod...stern-denim-style-russet-brown-leather-jacket
please note for the Horse Hide Leather Black, $ 100 would be extra, you can buy from the above link and add Horse Hide leather in the tip section, and you can mention your final specification in "seller Note" while buying, and we will do it accordingly

To 5* connoisseurs, is that the process you followed to order a jacket? Providing all your pertinent information and requirements in the seller note?

thanks for your email,

https://www.fivestarleather.us/prod...stern-denim-style-russet-brown-leather-jacket
please note for the Horse Hide Leather Black, $ 100 would be extra, you can buy from the above link and add Horse Hide leather in the tip section, and you can mention your final specification in "seller Note" while buying, and we will do it accordingly

To 5* connoisseurs, is that the process you followed to order a jacket? Providing all your pertinent information and requirements in the seller note?
I use FB messanger but I can see where that would be equally effective and achieve the same result.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thanks for your email,

I have never ordered a jacket through the website of 5*.
In the beginning by mail and now only via FB Messenger.
I configure the jacket, Shawn gives me the price and lets go.

troika

New in Town
Fresh out of the box. Leather is soft, but it's set kind of weird due to shipping.

Black goat, super soft and pliable out of the box. Absolutely massive collar.

20220307_120044.jpg

20220307_120101.jpg

20220307_120356.jpg

The collar is A++
Those pocket flaps need to settle and sleeves could use a little tapering, but on the whole it looks fantastic on you!

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Rugby If the jacket you are looking for is listed on the website, then it doesn't hurt to order from the website and put all your specs in the notes sections. I've ordered through both the website (Irvin) and through FB messenger (new jackets that are not on the website).
I think Shawn uses the website as a database to track everything. Make sense for better business efficiency.

@Hobbes1 This is what Shawn got back to me with. I think the Cognac color is purposedly dyed from the (suede) reverse side so it shows through the grain side as the black wears off? That's how I understood his txt. So if we want Cognac color we just ask for non distress version of this leather?

Image1.jpg

From what I see, Shawn is finishing the leather in house (dye and paint...). This is just my speculation. But it would be helpful for all of us if he nails down the selection like how Aero does it and we just pick from that. Trying to offer all the flavors just isn't gonna work well imo.

Aloysius

thanks for your email,

Yes, when I bought an A-2 as a gift, I contacted him first via email and once we’d settled all details, he linked me to the relevant item’s store page and told me to copy the recipient’s measurements into the seller note.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
@Rugby If the jacket you are looking for is listed on the website, then it doesn't hurt to order from the website and put all your specs in the notes sections. I've ordered through both the website (Irvin) and through FB messenger (new jackets that are not on the website).
I think Shawn uses the website as a database to track everything. Make sense for better business efficiency.

@Hobbes1 This is what Shawn got back to me with. I think the Cognac color is purposedly dyed from the (suede) reverse side so it shows through the grain side as the black wears off? That's how I understood his txt. So if we want Cognac color we just ask for non distress version of this leather?

View attachment 407812

From what I see, Shawn is finishing the leather in house (dye and paint...). This is just my speculation. But it would be helpful for all of us if he nails down the selection like how Aero does it and we just pick from that. Trying to offer all the flavors just isn't gonna work well imo.
Thanks for that info! Agreed, Shawn/5* need an overhaul of their website showing what is now available, not what was available a year ago or more. The problem I have here is: "Cognic or Yan Dye"...sorry, what? I wonder if this "Cognic" is the same as what he has previously listed at "Conic" on his website? They don't look the same to me so I'm thinking this is yet another option that someone will roll the dice on...it won't be me this time as I have led the charge on two different jackets/patterns/hides already (the recent HH pullup and a year ago, the steerhide '30s style that he has listed on his website--that steerhide was so squeaky, I gave the jacket way). Let's not even think of the CHL tan jacket that I bull headedly got made. Oi!

troika

New in Town
The collar is A++
Those pocket flaps need to settle and sleeves could use a little tapering, but on the whole it looks fantastic on you!

Thanks! I agree, the sleeves are way too wide and slightly too long. I'm also not fond of the arm opening, I think it needs to be smaller, but I don't really know how to tell. I feel like I can take in the shoulders a smidge too

Thanks! I agree, the sleeves are way too wide and slightly too long. I'm also not fond of the arm opening, I think it needs to be smaller, but I don't really know how to tell. I feel like I can take in the shoulders a smidge too
Jacket looks great! Why not have some zippers thrown in at the cuff for taper to the sleeves?

Aloysius

I agree that it fits well and the hide looks beautiful.

The ticket pocket looks a bit 'off' to me. It seems to be much narrower than that of a Perfecto, which throws off the proportions vis-à-vis the other pockets, and the beltless design enhances the effect due to the blank space.

That's not an objective fault, though, probably my eyes being conditioned to seeing my own Perfecto. And making something like that bigger is a fairly easy modification.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's not an objective fault, though, probably my eyes being conditioned to seeing my own Perfecto.
I think the back length is an objective fault. It's a motorcycle jacket style but it has the length of a car coat. Or maybe it's the angle of which the pics have been taken? I don't know, it looks elongated to my eyes.

MTS

Familiar Face
I agree that it fits well and the hide looks beautiful.

The ticket pocket looks a bit 'off' to me. It seems to be much narrower than that of a Perfecto, which throws off the proportions vis-à-vis the other pockets, and the beltless design enhances the effect due to the blank space.

That's not an objective fault, though, probably my eyes being conditioned to seeing my own Perfecto. And making something like that bigger is a fairly easy modification.

Yeah it's a bit off. This is my first custom and I had specced the pocket a bit small. It doesn't bother me as much, but I can see what you're saying!

I think the back length is an objective fault. It's a motorcycle jacket style but it has the length of a car coat. Or maybe it's the angle of which the pics have been taken? I don't know, it looks elongated to my eyes.

It might be the angle I took the picture at? The back length is 65 cm, which is the same as a Schott 519 I briefly had and enjoyed very much.

I'm new to leather jackets and I don't ride a motorcycle but I really appreciate all the insight for when I make my second jacket with them.

Aloysius

This was my thought at first glance but then I thought perhaps it was just the lack of belt that made it look so long.

KBlake

One Too Many
I ride and hate when my lower back is exposed to the wind and cold so I like a bit of length in the back. In fact motorcycle jackets are often longer in the back for this reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ