Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It might be the angle I took the picture at? The back length is 65 cm, which is the same as a Schott 519 I briefly had and enjoyed very much.

I'm new to leather jackets and I don't ride a motorcycle but I really appreciate all the insight for when I make my second jacket with them.
You're right, 65 cm is not out of whack for a mc jacket. Which means it's either the angle or it's my crooked eye :p

Luigi79

New in Town
Good morning

I have a quality ask for b3, recived in february 2022, worn 10 times.

In a point of the jacket, near the straps, the sheepskin is strange, very subtle and dry.
From the inside i can perceive a point that the skin seem empty
In this poin not only hair is missing, but the skin underneath is really vert thin and i suspect weak
It hasn't broken yet but i have not a good impression, look like tissue paper.
This b3 in a few days it would rest until next winter, and i would not like to find myself in a year with a tear

Is my firs sheepskin, i ask a impression

Attachments

• 20220306_214919.jpg
    20220306_214919.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220306_221634.jpg
    20220306_221634.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20220306_220921.jpg
    20220306_220921.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220306_214928.jpg
    20220306_214928.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220306_220850.jpg
    20220306_220850.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220306_221719.jpg
    20220306_221719.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 103

Bahabp100

Practically Family
In this photo, the surface pattern of the leather is different to the right and left of the zipper. I don't know what it's called, but these are different properties of the leather. It looks like different density and elasticity. Do you think with wearing this look will be the same on both sides?
I understand that this can be called "character" too. But nonetheless. Is there a chance that both sides will be the same?
You have to request “ closely matched panels in grain”

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Good morning

I have a quality ask for b3, recived in february 2022, worn 10 times.

In a point of the jacket, near the straps, the sheepskin is strange, very subtle and dry.
From the inside i can perceive a point that the skin seem empty
In this poin not only hair is missing, but the skin underneath is really vert thin and i suspect weak
It hasn't broken yet but i have not a good impression, look like tissue paper.
This b3 in a few days it would rest until next winter, and i would not like to find myself in a year with a tear

Is my firs sheepskin, i ask a impression
Bald spots.
The sheepskin feels thin but it looks like it will hold (no tear/break).
When did you start noticing the hair falling out?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have sent Shawn my PDF. I'm curious if it will take longer because of my individual measurements.
Thanks @ton312 for the preliminary work.
I am very excited and hope it was the right decision. By the way, I have now gone to red wine satin.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The b3 have 10 days, the hair in this parts is never stay here
If it came like that when it was new then you should talk to Shawn about it and work it out with him.
The hair on grain side sheepskins will have spots that are thinner and spots that are denser haired. The sheep hair is not glued on but actual hair from the grain side of the sheepskin. Some tannery have great skills at blending and "combing" the thinner spots so its not noticeable. (I am balding and I want their secret.) But from your photos creases can be seen on the other side and that would also bother me if I am always looking at it.
FWIW, I don't think the strength of the leather is compromised.

Luigi79

New in Town
Se è successo così quando era nuovo, dovrebbe parlarne con Shawn e risolverlo con lui.
I peli sulla pelle di pecora dal lato del grano hanno più macchie sottili e macchie dense. I peli di pecora non sono incollati ma veri peli dal lato a grana della pelle di pecora. Alcune concerie hanno grandi capacità di fondere e "pettinare" le macchie più sottili, quindi non si nota. (Sono calvo e voglio il loro segreto.) Ma dalle tue foto si possono vedere delle pieghe dall'altra parte e questo mi darebbe anche fastidio se lo guardo sempre.
FWIW, non credo che la resistenza della pelle sia compromessa.

Se è successo così quando era nuovo, dovresti parlarne con Shawn e risolverlo con lui.
I peli sulla pelle di pecora dal lato del grano avranno macchie più sottili e macchie più dense. I peli di pecora non sono incollati ma veri peli dal lato a grana della pelle di pecora. Alcune concerie hanno grandi capacità di fondere e "pettinare" le macchie più sottili, quindi non si nota. (Sono calvo e voglio il loro segreto.) Ma dalle tue foto si possono vedere delle pieghe dall'altra parte e questo mi darebbe anche fastidio se lo guardo sempre.
FWIW, non credo che la resistenza della pelle sia compromessa.
thank
i've write to 5 star but i'm not sure to can resolve with him
i hope

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Bald spots are white/ hide colour. It looks like a split to me .That's the sad part of shearling jackets .It's nearly impossible to inspect the grain side before and after the tanning process .The butcher might nick the skin or it rips while staking/vibrating the hide .I have had worse spots . You can shave off the hair around it and burn of the remaining stubble .Then degrease very carefully and attach a Swatch of sheepskin with fur on it with strong shoe making glue .

I don't know if this is a quality defect or the roulette of life

You could also tie together the fur with some string .Or leave it as is .Some manufacturers have a really strong paint coat on the outside to counteract possible Knicks in the grain .

Better don't worry too much about it .
Contact Shawn and maybe he can I've you some advice .

Almost all shearling jackets have knicks on the inside

MTS

Familiar Face
Looks superb! I think for your height the fit is ideal. Ticket pocket flap is indeed a bit small but it doesn’t bother me in the least. Looks good!

Thanks! I was worried about various measurements but reading through this thread and the tips you, Mr. Proper and many others really helped me nail the measurements.

Definitely sized the ticket pocket a bit off but it doesn't bother me that much as well.

Thanks! I was worried about various measurements but reading through this thread and the tips you, Mr. Proper and many others really helped me nail the measurements.

Definitely sized the ticket pocket a bit off but it doesn't bother me that much as well.
It’s not too unusual. Johnson Leathers has a similar size coin pocket. I do prefer it a bit larger but certainly not to fret over.
6629123B-2D8A-4ABD-9403-3CE4E67683E5.jpeg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
It’s been a while since I looked at this thread and I just spent some time reading up on it. Damn, that new horsehide that was used in @Canuck Panda CHP jacket looks so good! I’m starting to think of a new Fivestar jacket. If they can consistently offer leather like that, they just upped their value several times over. I always felt that their leather offering was their weak spot. Not anymore it seems.

Luigi79

New in Town
Bald spots are white/ hide colour. It looks like a split to me .That's the sad part of shearling jackets .It's nearly impossible to inspect the grain side before and after the tanning process .The butcher might nick the skin or it rips while staking/vibrating the hide .I have had worse spots . You can shave off the hair around it and burn of the remaining stubble .Then degrease very carefully and attach a Swatch of sheepskin with fur on it with strong shoe making glue .

I don't know if this is a quality defect or the roulette of life

You could also tie together the fur with some string .Or leave it as is .Some manufacturers have a really strong paint coat on the outside to counteract possible Knicks in the grain .

Better don't worry too much about it .
Contact Shawn and maybe he can I've you some advice .

Almost all shearling jackets have knicks on the inside
Thanks for your replay
Shawn say that is a error, and confirm your opinion.
He sayd that although it is hidden and still the leather is there it will not tear for sure.
I hope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner