Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a similar question...

Has anyone done an unlined "rough out" goatskin jacket from Shawn?
I was thinking of doing a rough out with the seal colored steerhide. But I am still undecided.
1652779508075.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking of doing a rough out with the seal colored steerhide. But I am still undecided.
View attachment 426288
Is there a specific reason for choosing steer over goat? Do you find it to be better quality? I only have the goat so I am not sure about the steer.
Also I didn't know the steer were re-tanned with the veg brown core. I thought all the leather were chrome tanned and dyed through.
It'd be nice if Shawn updates the leather offerings again on FB and show the reverse side (flesh side) too. Things change / updates very fast over there...

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is there a specific reason for choosing steer over goat? Do you find it to be better quality? I only have the goat so I am not sure about the steer.
Also I didn't know the steer were re-tanned with the veg brown core. I thought all the leather were chrome tanned and dyed through.
It'd be nice if Shawn updates the leather offerings again on FB and show the reverse side (flesh side) too. Things change / updates very fast over there...
The one in my picture is the flesh side. On the outside it is seal colored. Steer actually only because that's what I really have in front of me. Goat I have, but do not see the flesh side.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The goatskin I have from Shawn, russet, seal, conic, all have that veg retan brown on the flesh side. I don't have his regular steer hides.
I am still thinking if I need a lining in a rough out jacket though. My main concern is I don't want the pigment finish touch the skin, it would feel kinda weird. So maybe just sleeve lining.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I know. I had a Reiss jacket that was unlined with the grain side on the inside. It has more to do with my prejudice against imported leather. I don't know what kind of paint is used (on the grain side). They don't advertise what kind of paint is used. And they tend to smell gassier than leather tanned in US/EU. Hence the anxiety/prejudice goggles and wanting a lining.
But at the same time I am not gonna pay the full retail for a jacket I would only wear just a few times a year, and would still want quality rough out and not split suede. So the reason I am here...
It's most likely gonna be lined in the sleeves for me... in a rough out situation...

uncia

New in Town
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped advise me via private convo yesterday and today. You know who you are. :) I really appreciate it, this forum is awesome.
I fully endorse this statement!

Thanks to the support I got here, I'm about to place a custom order with shawn with a good feeling....
Let's see how this develops - I will report back ;-)

Rugby

One of the Regulars
And in the subject of budget jackets, has anyone had experience with Lusso Leather? They're in Toronto.

I tend to like the 5 Star design/layout better actually. The Thedi has pocket proportion problems. The flaps are undersized compared to the size of the actual pocket. If these were standard slash pockets the Thedi would be vastly improved. Gussets don’t bother me in the least. That style back looks great imo.

Leather and construction aside (which obviously Thedi wins) for overall design, I’d pick the 5 star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ