Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

abone

A-List Customer
After having had very good experiences with my road master d-pocket jacket, I decided to order a re-make of my Protech "Trojan" leather jacket (which I wear for motorcycling) from 5Star Leather so that I have a "Trojan" on a daily basis. I am more than satisfied with the result.

Waxed Steerhide in seal brown, fully custom made:

View attachment 529334

View attachment 529335 View attachment 529336 View attachment 529337 View attachment 529338

Fit pictures:

View attachment 529339 View attachment 529340 View attachment 529341
That looks really good. Did you send Shawn the Protech, or go off detailed measurements?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I would like to share some infos about my fully custom made 5Star Leather Jackets, I got recently:

Left, Roadmaster in black waxed Steerhide, weight 2.6 kgs (5.75 lbs)
Right, Trojan in seal brown Steerhide, weight 2.9 kgs (6.4 lbs)

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1497.jpeg

For both Jackets I opted for a grainy Leather. Both shows a nice pebble Leather. The Roadmaster is a tad smoother and the Leather is slightly lighter. The seal brown on the Trojan is very dark almost black but there is still some difference to the black on the Roadmaster.

Roadmaster
IMG_1499.jpeg

Trojan
IMG_1492.jpeg

Roadmaster
IMG_1498.jpeg

Trojan
IMG_1493.jpeg

Both Jackets are labeled as a size 40“ on request. Roadmaster is a tad narrower cutted 56cm P2P vs. 57cm P2P on the Trojan. Also the mid section is more taper on the Roadmaster than the „block built“ on the Trojan but that was what I ordered. Both have nearly identical other measurements such as Shoulder, Back and Sleeve lenght.

Trojan left - Roadmaster right
D8CFB0F2-F755-4538-95EB-65851596A85E.jpeg

Last edited:

klorel

New in Town
I would like to share some infos about my fully custom made 5Star Leather Jackets, I got recently:

Left, Roadmaster in black waxed Steerhide, weight 2.6 kgs (5.75 lbs)
Right, Trojan in seal brown Steerhide, weight 2.9 kgs (6.4 lbs)

View attachment 529918
View attachment 529919

For both Jackets I opted for a grainy Leather. Both shows a nice pebble Leather. The Roadmaster is a tad smoother and the Leather is slightly lighter. The seal brown on the Trojan is very dark almost black but there is still some difference to the black on the Roadmaster.

Roadmaster
View attachment 529920

Trojan
View attachment 529921

Roadmaster
View attachment 529922

Trojan
View attachment 529923

Both Jackets are labeled as a size 40“ on request. Roadmaster is a tad narrower cutted 56cm P2P vs. 57cm P2P on the Trojan. Also the mid section is more taper on the Roadmaster than the „block built“ on the Trojan but that was what I ordered. Both have nearly identical other measurements such as Shoulder, Back and Sleeve lenght.

Trojan left - Roadmaster right
View attachment 529924
Great looking jackets! What is the thickness of the leather?

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Beautiful jackets! That steerhide is stunning. To my untrained eye the jackets look quite similar. Do you use them for different purposes? For example one for riding, the other daily wear?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Beautiful jackets! That steerhide is stunning. To my untrained eye the jackets look quite similar. Do you use them for different purposes? For example one for riding, the other daily wear?
Thank you! In fact, the basic construction of the jackets is the same. They are both d-pocket cross-zipped jackets but with some different details on the front and on the back. I made both jackets as a daily wearer. For riding I have a Protech Trojan style (from which I copied the 5star Trojan) which is shorter in the body and therefore more practical for riding in an upright riding position.

These both look superb. Shawn and co. have certainly stepped up their game. I was all but convinced I wouldn’t be ordering any additional 5 Stars after a bit of struggle with the Halfbelt patterns. I’m glad I went I went back for these two E/W styles, that are otherwise essentially unobtainable in a custom size for me. I understand these styles may not be terribly popular, but I really love the uniqueness of both and it frees up some room for not being an exact copy of an original. I apologize my pics aren’t nearly as polished!
IMG_7584.jpeg
IMG_7586.jpeg
IMG_7589.jpeg
IMG_7591.jpeg

I still believe there are areas where the basic construction of the jackets needs improvement, the sleeves need to be cut with more natural curvature, but overall the results are really great imo and the hides and materials in general just seem seem to have leveled up. I have plans for one more. Matador length short, really wild paneled design. I’m thinking of asking Shawn if he can send it to me naked so I can color and finish it on my own.

KBlake

One Too Many
I’m confused. @ton312 specced his 5.5” open. That suggests he plans to wear them open and they would be too tight closed.

Is there a correct way to wear jackets with zippered cuffs(I.e., open)? As I see it zippered cuffs appear on Moto jackets and should fit very tight closed and comfortably open. One wouldn’t wear them closed unless riding to keep air out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy