Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
Like you, I kept trying to convince myself of something that wasn’t there. The quality was never really there but I was having fun playing designer and hoped with each successive piece it would improve. If you’ve read through the thread you’ll see I tried numerous times to improve the hide quality with dyes and artificial aging, waxes, etc. To some extant it worked. But the pattern failures were still there, and still are.

The allure of 5 Star is that you can rip a copy of a more valuable item and it does produce a cheap hit. But there’s no denying the quality is sub par. It just is. This is why I’ve said, and you’ve presumably glossed over, my repeated comments about the entire process being a waste of time, money and effort.

I’d also add that part of what makes the hobby fun for me is exploration. I’m not a brand elitist. I don’t even have a particular style I favor. I’m an explorer. But you aren’t wrong, I could’ve cut the process off after 2 jackets instead of however many. Thankfully I sold them all. I really am thankful for that as these jackets have almost zero resale appeal. I roughly estimate the money I spent vs. recouped at around $700-$800(a very nice used Aero). This figure excludes the two I gave away free in the classifieds for other members to use as measuring sticks for quality of construction, materials etc.

So your question isn’t dumb, it’s valid. I’m just glad I didn’t buy 30:)
Fair enough. Thanks!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can’t put sleeves on a suitcase and call it a jacket though.

That’s the beauty of it! Don’t need sleeves for a bulletproof vest.

Whoever bought yours needs to hang it from the target holder at the range and give it a test.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
To lighten the mood a bit, here's a comparison of what I think are two nice FiveStar Leather jackets:

Which is yours (block vs taper cut)?

<Left Trojan
>Right Roadmaster

FL_Trojan vs Roadmaster.jpg

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Ton that a search for a cheap but good jacket is a poweful drug for some, myself included. In the vintage arena I have been batting around 100, meaning (for those unfamiliar with baseball terminology), one good jacket out of 10 buys. Not a great batting average, in baseball or jackets. Yet I still am tempted by a 5* B-3, as Old World winter is kicking my ass. What does TFL say about those? Is 5* sheep better than other jackets?

JDarwin52

New in Town
That looks really good. Can u post a fit pick. I need a B6 like a hole in the head, but would like one at a good price.
Thanks! Here’s one I posted a few days ago, but can work on some better shots..
IMG_3990.jpeg

I’m 5’-9”, 190 lbs. 42 chest, 34 at belt line. Per the strange size chart, I ordered 48R.
They start pretty long in stock form (based on a true vintage example, I believe) so I took it from 28.3 to 27.25” and I like where it landed, a slightly longer “winter jacket” length and seems appropriate for that style..

I requested 22.5” pit to pit straight down to hem with side zips engaged. Sleeves shortened by 1”. Shoulders are about 2” wider than my typical 19” but fit feels great with room to move and some space for a sweater. Cuffs are unbuttoned in the shot, but button down to a nice snug 5” in stock form.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Ton that a search for a cheap but good jacket is a poweful drug for some, myself included. In the vintage arena I have been batting around 100, meaning (for those unfamiliar with baseball terminology), one good jacket out of 10 buys. Not a great batting average, in baseball or jackets. Yet I still am tempted by a 5* B-3, as Old World winter is kicking my ass. What does TFL say about those? Is 5* sheep better than other jackets?
Their (sold out) Artic B3 looks great. I actually like the uncoated sheerling better than Aero's version which has a white topcoat.

https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/jacket-flying-type-b-3-un-coated-1937-version

1703174770456.png

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/usaaf/usaaf-type-b-3--arctic-issue/military014

1703174999600.png

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is 5* sheep better than other jackets?
I would say yes. 5* Shearling is better than other 5* jackets. But not as good as those from Aero (unfortunately I can only compare with those because I don't know others). The leather on my Aeros is about twice as thick as that of my 5*. The fleece itself is very similar, even if it doesn't quite come close. The fit of my Aeros is slightly better than the 5*, although the measurements are almost identical. I now only have one vest from 5* and have sold everything else.
I might even consider a 5* shearling again, but the shearlings from 5* are significantly more expensive than the other 5* and I'd rather pay a bit more and get the Aero.
If they cost 300 - max. 400 EUR, I would think again.

KBlake

One Too Many
I gotta apologize to the people here for my hostility and rudeness.

A TFLer noticed that I bought a cal from them elsewhere and proactively canceled the purchase (incurring a cost to themselves) and reached out to me here to give me the TFL friends and family deal. The world has made me cynical and this generosity really moved me.

This place is pretty amazing. Happy holidays!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I find that hard to believe. I did some Googling, couldn't find figures for Pakistan but I did find that the 'Fair Wear Foundation' calculated that from a Tshirt with a retail price of €29 18ct went to the factory worker in India. The rest was overhead like agency costs, wholesale costs, retail costs, import fees and VAT.

I don't think anyone would produce tshirts in Pakistan if the labor costs per tshirt would indeed be $10.
the labor cost/ fee I paid on my jacket in Indonesia is about $100 - $150 between 2014-2021 this workshop has an owner so the fee is cut between the owner and the rest of the workshop crew who worked on my jacket in different proportions I think, the rest is the cost of material which is around $100 ($80 for the hide, and $15 for the lining, and $5 for the YKK hardware), I asked post office about how much to send let say 5kilos package declared as leather jacket and they calculated and gave me a quotation around $100 .

I can buy a custom made leather (sheep) jacket including the material for $100 online here , and I paid $20 for a custom made vest including the material 2 sides with 2 pockets inside full duck canvas, $70 for custom made denim jacket 16oz selvedge (that slant pocket type2 with cinch back) and the same price on double knee jeans in 19oz selvedge with cinch back by local tailor specialized in denim/ workwear, however some jeans brand in my country would also sell their jeans for $150 and upward for their heavyweight variants which is I think 2x the cost if they subcontract it to a workshop or more is they make it in house or order in bulk.
I don't have insider info, just comparing prices based on my own purchases some with rtw local brands and some with local mto workshops both with union special chain stitch, raised belt loop, hidden rivets, peekaboo selvedge thing sticking out a little on the coin pocket all the candies.

I also have longsleeve tshirt with turtleneck made to my drawing and I bring in the fabrics and the street tailor charged me $3 and a half for 2 identical pieces. he own his little stall/ booth on the parking lot of a convenient store.

I think Indonesia (java island) and Pakistan probably within the same economic level perhaps

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
the labor cost/ fee I paid on my jacket in Indonesia is about $100 - $150 between 2014-2021 this workshop has an owner so the fee is cut between the owner and the rest of the workshop crew who worked on my jacket in different proportions I think
I'm still surprised that there actually are workshops in your country that produce leather jackets.

I've visited Indonesia, I couldn't wear much more than a tshirt shorts and flip-flops because of the humidity.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm still surprised that there actually are workshops in your country that produce leather jackets.

I've visited Indonesia, I couldn't wear much more than a tshirt shorts and flip-flops because of the humidity.
Bali I assume or Jakarta? low lands coastal areas are both humid and hot from the sun, the more inland and at higher elevation since Indonesia has many mountains and volcanoes active and inactive can be leather jacket weather all year round at least for people living in the tropics with very little seasonal clothes variation, when the temp drop 5C than normal we just wear jacket or hoodies, since we have no heater, no wool clothing, etc.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Bali I assume or Jakarta? low lands coastal areas are both humid and hot from the sun, the more inland and at higher elevation since Indonesia has many mountains and volcanoes active and inactive can be leather jacket weather all year round at least for people living in the tropics with very little seasonal clothes variation, when the temp drop 5C than normal we just wear jacket or hoodies, since we have no heater, no wool clothing, etc.
I indeed visited Bali :)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I indeed visited Bali :)
Unless you visited lake Bedugul tourism site, Bali is scorching hot same with coastal area across java like Surabaya, or Jakarta, when I visit Bali I can only wear short sleeved tshirt with more airy knit that is meant for undershirt, still drenching in sweat when I walk around on foot, wondered me why the Dutch wanted to occupy this land just for some nutmeg and pepper in their soup, did they even want to eat soup in this climate:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff